Personalizing your Henry. 22 or Big Boy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JASPERADO
Levergunner

Personalizing your Henry. 22 or Big Boy

Post by JASPERADO »

Good morning everyone. Greetings from So.Florida. Hope all is well. Last Friday I picked up my new Henry .22 magnum lever gun. Prior to picking it up, 'cause here in this lovely state I live in there is a 5 day waiting period, which annoys me to no end, I ordered the large loop lever and their Spee-D loader. That will be here in a little while. I'm going to digress a bit and do a rant about probably the only thing I severely dislike about Henry. And that is their "it could take up to 14 days" delivery policy! Almost any company on the planet delivers stuff in 3-5 days! And, you cannot pay extra to have it delivered any sooner. Which really sucks! OK, so onto the reason for my post. I think this will be good info for anyone with a Henry rifle that might want to do the same thing. I wanted to put a saddle ring on the gun. Saw some postings here from a few years back of folks that did it but it all was a bit involved. Now comes the cool thing! Whether you have their .22 caliber rifles or their Big Boys, all you do is order the receiver cover that's on the Mares Leg, 'cause it comes with the saddle ring attached, and it's a direct replacement! The cost is only $40. Not sure of the cost for the brass one. How great is that? I'm also ordering, along with that, 2morrow, the Monte Carlo stock that's on their Varmit Express. That part is only $65. You can also turn any regular Henry .22 into a Golden Boy by doing the same thing, and ordering the brass receiver cover, brass barrel band, and butt stock with the brass butt plate. All 3 items are just at $130. Once I get it all converted, or "personalized", I'll post some pictures of it. Thanks for reading and listening.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Personalizing your Henry. 22 or Big Boy

Post by BenT »

The thing I don't like on the Henry 22 is that the paint on the bottom of the receiver wears off. I wish they would use something more durable. Keep us posted .
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

1) Waiting periods rot. . :evil:

2) The Henry prexy has stated the reason for the delay is that they are backordered & are working 24/7 to fill orders.

3) As I answered in your earlier post about a Henry saddle ring, a post-64 Winchester 94 saddle ring & stud ($8-$25) is a direct replacement for the LH rear cover screw.(see below)

4) The GB cover's tang has a different drop/angle than the non-GB's stocks. I suppose the combination of a GB cover & the VE monte carlo stock might work - IDK.

5) The VE monte carlo stock, on a Standard model receiver/cover, will likely preclude the use of iron sights.

6) In any event, I hope you enjoy your purchase ! :)

Ben: I haven't had that problem with my Henry's, so yours might be the way the rifle's carried.

FWIW, however, more than a few Henry owners with worn or scratched receiver covers, and/or bottom metal, have stripped the paint from the parts, polished them - then either clear-coated the silver finish:

Or applied some cold blue splotches to mime a CCH finish (also clear-coated for protection):

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I really wish someone would resurrect the 9422 line.. The Henry offerings are junk, by comparison! I might even go for the little Uberti .22, long before I'd get a Henry..

The Henry centerfire line is even worse.. The lockwork is all nothing more than a Marlin knock-off, and poorly-done, at that..

Why do you reckon Henry has such a wonderful Service Department..? Because that is where the smart folks work.. They have figured out how to make a "Henry" rifle run..

There are too many good rifles on the market today, for me to have to hassle with a "Henry..."
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Buck - The Uberti .22 you might try, is AFAIK built exactly like a Henry Golden Boy, with a different colored receiver cover.

I have 9422's & Marlin 39's, along with my Henry .22's - and I like them all !

Yes, they're all patently different - but each has it's place in the shooting/hunting/plinking world.

No Henry, that I've tried, has been "junk".

JASPERADO
Levergunner

Post by JASPERADO »

Here's a brief update on personalizing your Henry. 22 and/or Big Boy.received my large loop lever and Spee-D loader yesterday. The lever is going to look great when it's installed. It is quite a bit more involved to install it than on the Big Boy. Big Boy only requires the removal of one screw. The. 22's require a good bit more disassembly. That's why I'm having a gunsmith do it. Dropping it off this afternoon and will have it back 2morrow. As far as the Spee-D loader is concerned.... It's not so speedy. Actually, it's a pain pain in the butt to use! And that's putting it mildly! Hopefully Henry will allow me to return or and pay for the return shipping. If not I'll yeah the loader and never do business with them again. Now onto the receiver cover with the saddle ring. Pete44ru, this is for you. I know you told me about just using the bottom left cover screw hole to mount the Winchester saddle ring.I think it places it too low and it looks like it would or could interfere with the operation of the gun. Also don't know why you would think a Monte Carlo stock would prevent or preclude you from using iron sights? That stock just makes shouting a rifle more comfortable, in that you can keep your head more erect, w/o having to bend your head over so far. Anyway, I'll let everyone know the outcome of this "project". B4 I 4get, your rifles are beautiful! Great job!
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Pete44

I like the "case" finish you applied to that receiver.

Can you tell us how you did it? I have a few rifles that could use that look.

Thanks!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Friend of mine used to make .22 speedloaders from aluminum arrows.

Flare out one end a little with a punch or something and tape the other end or cap it with something. Fill full of .22s. Insert into end of magazines, tip...bam it's full.

Since he was a bowhunter he had a good supply of damaged arrow shafts to use, for anywhere from 8-16 rounds.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

rbertalotto wrote:Pete44

I like the "case" finish you applied to that receiver.

Can you tell us how you did it? I have a few rifles that could use that look.

Thanks!
That particular rifle isn't mine, Roy - but according to it's owner:

Strip (don't sand) the black paint from the receiver cover & file/whatever any gouges, etc before polishing to a shiney silver color.

Apply cold bluing solution with a cotton ball, via daubing (not wiping) the solution in various places as puddles, unevenly, until you get a look you like.
Wiping ILO daubing will impart straight(er) lines of blue on the metal - somewhat streaky, but some like that look, too.

If you don't succeed the first time, re-polish the cold blue off (after it dries) back to a silver color & try another method of twisting/daubing.

When you get the finished look you like, the cold bluing should be protected with a spray-on clearcoat, unless you want it to fade over time (short time) like real case colors.

I suppose, if you like the somewhat faded CCH look, you could delay applying the clearcoat until after the CCH fades to a degree you like.
JASPERADO wrote:
Pete44ru, about just using the bottom left cover screw hole to mount the Winchester saddle ring.I think it places it too low and it looks like it would or could interfere with the operation of the gun.

Also don't know why you would think a Monte Carlo stock would prevent or preclude you from using iron sights?
A monte carlo comb is usually used to raise the face so a scope can be used - usually well above the Henry's normal "low" line-of-sight (open sights).
A solution, in order to use the open sights with a MC stock, is to install higher front/rear open sights (like Remington does on most of their sighted rifles).
As I mentioned, the VE monte carlo stock, when combined with the GB receiver cover's excessive drop, might mitigate the situation - IDK.

FWIW, I've had the saddle ring on my Henry for about 8 years, hunting with it every Fall, and have yet to have it, or the thong, interfere with operating the gun. (BT, DT - NTS :) )

In any event, it's your rifle, your druthers - I just hope your plans turn out well for you.

JASPERADO
Levergunner

Post by JASPERADO »

I got my Henry Model H001M back from the gunsmith this afternoon after having him remove the stock lever and install the Large Loop Lever that Henry sells for it. Also had him "massage" the action, and there is only one word for how it is now...WOW!!!!!!! A world of difference. The action is light years smoother and the trigger pull is just the way I like all my guns...almost a "hair" trigger!!! LOVE IT!! All thanks to Alex at Nexus Shooting in Davie, Fl. Now I'm just waiting for the Oxen Drawn Covered Wagon, from Henry, to bring my Receiver cover with the attached Saddle Ring and the Monte Carlo stock. Not real happy with their shipping procedures!! They don't take the money out of your debit account right away when the order is placed and I don't get a tracking # immediately. I have to call in a day or so to get the #. The other thing that severely annoys me is when they, or any company, blames a delay in shipping on the weather!! I don't care if your building is buried in snow or covered in water. You have customers to satisfy. If you know those conditions exist, then move your facility the hell out of there to someplace more conducive to production! The folks a Henry were complaining about some terrible snow storm that hit the Northeast, I guess a few days ago, and it shut, or slowed down everything. Don't want to hear it, don't care. Just want to know where my stuff is and how soon will it arrive. I've lived in So. Fl. all my life and no one gives a **** about us when we get hit with a Hurricane!!! Anyway, that's my rant for 2day. I envy all of you that are in the cold weather. Right now at 4:10 P.M., it's 85 degrees!! Not fun!! Have a great rest of the weekend.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

JASPERADO wrote: The other thing that severely annoys me is when they, or any company, blames a delay in shipping on the weather!! I don't care if your building is buried in snow or covered in water. You have customers to satisfy. If you know those conditions exist, then move your facility the hell out of there to someplace more conducive to production! The folks a Henry were complaining about some terrible snow storm that hit the Northeast, I guess a few days ago, and it shut, or slowed down everything. Don't want to hear it, don't care. Just want to know where my stuff is and how soon will it arrive. I've lived in So. Fl. all my life and no one gives a **** about us when we get hit with a Hurricane!!! Anyway, that's my rant for 2day.
so good to know that you are the patient, understanding sort.. Maybe you should only deal with "sunbelt" companies, so you won't be further "inconvenienced" by their weather or other natural calamities..

Oh, and by the way.. Every time the wind blows in Florida, there are Thousands of volunteers and Millions of dollars of reconstruction monies pouring into the state, so you idiots can rebuild, just in time for the next hurricane.. Your rant is selfish, specious and spurious...! We don't get mad at you when the citrus crop freezes.. We dump more money into propping up the industry..! So, I don't want to hear any more of your childish tantrums on the subject !!
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Well Buck you proved to me again that your at the top of dip s@#t mountain

ollogger
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I gotta agree with Buck wholeheartedly on the weather delays -- stuff happens . When an airplane cant take off for several days , thats the way it is -- we're just in the golden age of the internet and can get instant satisfaction in so many areas seemingly, we forgot what life was like just 15 years ago

But respectfully disagree on opinion of Henry's -- not just because i like mine (i do) but because i think the world needs 250-350 dollar .22's -- with Winny 94's and Marlin 39's going for b-s prices, the kids gotta have something to shoot :P
----- Doug
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Ladies & gents,

Let us remember that, even though many of us know that Henry Repeating Arms has been making rimfire leverguns (the H001-series, and the pumps) since circa 1997, the design goes back more than 40 years. The original production started in 1972/ 1973, and is based on Louis Imperato's design. Erma manufactured them, in Germany, and Ithaca, Iver Johnson, and Erma sold them. Henry has made improvements, little-by-little, but they started with a great rifle. NONE of these rifles are junk, even when compared to "better" guns, though the Ermas & Henrys are made of "inferior" materials. The Golden Boy & the pump rifle are based on the levergun, just to show you how versatile the design is. Erma even manufactured many variants of it, too.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I respectfully acknowledge honest differences of opinion.. I can live with that..

But I don't enjoy rants and tantrums from spoiled kids who are used to having everything their own way - right now - or not at all... and blaming someone else for their dissatisfaction..

And ollogger, I'm glad you didn't have to exert the effort to change your opinion of me.. I didn't think you would.. I'm not here to be liked, particularly.. I have some good friends here, and others who are not quite so close, but that was never my objective -- to have everyone like me or agree with me.. If you don't like my posts or my answers, you are under no obligation to read them..
Regards

Buck

Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

...more information on the Erma/ Ithaca/ Iver Johnson/ Henry rifles:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=458413

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Buck Elliott wrote:I respectfully acknowledge honest differences of opinion.. I can live with that..

But I don't enjoy rants and tantrums from spoiled kids who are used to having everything their own way - right now - or not at all... and blaming someone else for their dissatisfaction..

And ollogger, I'm glad you didn't have to exert the effort to change your opinion of me.. I didn't think you would.. I'm not here to be liked, particularly.. I have some good friends here, and others who are not quite so close, but that was never my objective -- to have everyone like me or agree with me.. If you don't like my posts or my answers, you are under no obligation to read them..

Buck, sometimes I agree with you, but calling out others on tantrums & rants?

ollogger
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

My son has a Henry 22 and I have a big boy 44 and both guns are amazing. Neither has ever had a problem and both shot POA at 50 yards right out of the box. Heck of an investment IMHO.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

ollogger wrote:Well Buck you proved to me again that your at the top of dip s@#t mountain
ollogger

FWIW, I agree with Buck......... AND the followup infantile/immature retort by the OP only reinforces Buck's point.

rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Until I became involved with Cowboy Action Shooting, I had no idea what made a great lever action rifle and what rifles simply couldn't hold up.

Currently the only rifles making the score are Uberti and "JM" Marlins.........I've yet to personally witness a Henry Bog Boy make it through a match without a hick-up. But granted, you see very, very few Henry Big Boy rifles on the line. I'm not saying they can't, just that in the matches where they were tried, they can't run fast without issues.

Now the 22RF are a completely different story.....Although only Buckaroos (kids) are allowed to compete with 22RF, there are lots of Henrys and they are extremely competent rifles.

I don't understand why Henry doesn't use a side loading gate on the Big Boy?

The New Henry "1860 Henry" is quite a piece. Time will tell how it holds up, but at 30-40% more than the Uberti version, it is an expensive gun to be throwing down on the table at a CAS match.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

JASPERADO wrote:Good morning everyone. Greetings from So.Florida. Hope all is well. Last Friday I picked up my new Henry .22 magnum lever gun. Prior to picking it up, 'cause here in this lovely state I live in there is a 5 day waiting period, which annoys me to no end, I ordered the large loop lever and their Spee-D loader. That will be here in a little while. I'm going to digress a bit and do a rant about probably the only thing I severely dislike about Henry. And that is their "it could take up to 14 days" delivery policy! Almost any company on the planet delivers stuff in 3-5 days! And, you cannot pay extra to have it delivered any sooner. Which really sucks! OK, so onto the reason for my post. I think this will be good info for anyone with a Henry rifle that might want to do the same thing. I wanted to put a saddle ring on the gun. Saw some postings here from a few years back of folks that did it but it all was a bit involved. Now comes the cool thing! Whether you have their .22 caliber rifles or their Big Boys, all you do is order the receiver cover that's on the Mares Leg, 'cause it comes with the saddle ring attached, and it's a direct replacement! The cost is only $40. Not sure of the cost for the brass one. How great is that? I'm also ordering, along with that, 2morrow, the Monte Carlo stock that's on their Varmit Express. That part is only $65. You can also turn any regular Henry .22 into a Golden Boy by doing the same thing, and ordering the brass receiver cover, brass barrel band, and butt stock with the brass butt plate. All 3 items are just at $130. Once I get it all converted, or "personalized", I'll post some pictures of it. Thanks for reading and listening.
Good Morning! Great post... My Dad lives in Clearwater FL and I sure wish some days I was living closer to him to help him out... and take advantage of that great winter weather :) I sure understand about the waiting since here in Wheatland Wyoming our interstates shut down when the wind and roads get bad and the mail and UPS and FEDEX don't get through... dang some days... this month they shut the interstate down and no mail went through and I had to call one of my credit card companies and explain why I was ONE day late with a payment.. LOL, they kindly waived the late fee! :) THANKYOU!!!! I really enjoy the Henry rifles. I bought Ollogger a Big Boy 357 and a Golden boy 22 mag, both for Anniversary gifts. I had a company in Cheyenne engrave on the Big Boy for me.. turned out super! I love the saddle ring Idea.... Make sure you post pictures when you get yours together.
I am in love with my 45 vaquero, its a sweetie... thought long and hard about a stainless.. just like the look of my blue....:) Got me a new holster for it, hand made and shipped in from Kentucky~! I think waiting for a part/gun/new toy is always hard... I was plenty excited to get my new leather!
Hey welcome to the LG site by the way.. and sure enjoyed your post! Greetings from Wheatland Wyoming where there is always something holding ya up, if not the wind then a cattle drive and heck just open range! :)
Psalms 83:18 Dan 2:44
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

wvfarrier wrote:My son has a Henry 22 and I have a big boy 44 and both guns are amazing. Neither has ever had a problem and both shot POA at 50 yards right out of the box. Heck of an investment IMHO.
I never shot a lever until the Henry... really enjoyed it... super smooth and a lot of fun!
the ones we have are super accurate! 357 Big Boy and the Golden Boy 22 mag. :)
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

rbertalotto wrote:Until I became involved with Cowboy Action Shooting, I had no idea what made a great lever action rifle and what rifles simply couldn't hold up.

Currently the only rifles making the score are Uberti and "JM" Marlins.........I've yet to personally witness a Henry Bog Boy make it through a match without a hick-up. But granted, you see very, very few Henry Big Boy rifles on the line. I'm not saying they can't, just that in the matches where they were tried, they can't run fast without issues.

Now the 22RF are a completely different story.....Although only Buckaroos (kids) are allowed to compete with 22RF, there are lots of Henrys and they are extremely competent rifles.

I don't understand why Henry doesn't use a side loading gate on the Big Boy?

The New Henry "1860 Henry" is quite a piece. Time will tell how it holds up, but at 30-40% more than the Uberti version, it is an expensive gun to be throwing down on the table at a CAS match.
Thanks for your update! :) I really appreciate it.... I think the 1860 is a sweet SWEET piece!
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

Hagler wrote:...more information on the Erma/ Ithaca/ Iver Johnson/ Henry rifles:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=458413

Shawn
THANKS Shawn!! :) good reading... love the learning...
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

Hagler wrote:Ladies & gents,

Let us remember that, even though many of us know that Henry Repeating Arms has been making rimfire leverguns (the H001-series, and the pumps) since circa 1997, the design goes back more than 40 years. The original production started in 1972/ 1973, and is based on Louis Imperato's design. Erma manufactured them, in Germany, and Ithaca, Iver Johnson, and Erma sold them. Henry has made improvements, little-by-little, but they started with a great rifle. NONE of these rifles are junk, even when compared to "better" guns, though the Ermas & Henrys are made of "inferior" materials. The Golden Boy & the pump rifle are based on the levergun, just to show you how versatile the design is. Erma even manufactured many variants of it, too.

Shawn
Shawn, Great info... thanks again... I love my Henry's and I am such a Ruger Girl... LOL I appreciate your knowledge! Thanks again!
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

Streetstar wrote:I gotta agree with Buck wholeheartedly on the weather delays -- stuff happens . When an airplane cant take off for several days , thats the way it is -- we're just in the golden age of the internet and can get instant satisfaction in so many areas seemingly, we forgot what life was like just 15 years ago

But respectfully disagree on opinion of Henry's -- not just because i like mine (i do) but because i think the world needs 250-350 dollar .22's -- with Winny 94's and Marlin 39's going for b-s prices, the kids gotta have something to shoot :P
Ahhhhh that weather... here in Wyoming roads get shut down all the time... mail gets delayed... and it just takes time.... but that sure don't make it easy waiting when your waiting on something special.... LOL I get pretty excited also when thinking about something I ordered.... but heck I sure cannot control the Wyoming wind any more than anyone can control the weather anywhere!
Our mail didn't go through a couple days last week with the interstate closed due to sleet/ice and wind... all our mail now runs into Cheyenne to get sorted when it use to be done right here in Wheatland.. go figure... But it don't stop the heart beat from the excitement of something new on the way! LOL
I love the Henry, glad we have a couple... I am so a Ruger nut and have a few of those.... specially love my Vaquero... AND the new holster I ordered.... which could not get here fast enough for me... LOL but once here... I am in love with my new leather and its strapped on every morning to do chores.... and every evening again for fence checking and chores again! :) thanks for your post! I enjoyed it!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Pete44ru wrote:
ollogger wrote:Well Buck you proved to me again that your at the top of dip s@#t mountain
ollogger

FWIW, I agree with Buck......... AND the followup infantile/immature retort by the OP only reinforces Buck's point.

pete If that was meant as a low blow, well you missed!!!!!

ollogger
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Having been on the other end of the gun manufacturing/shipping business, and having been the recipient of quite a few calls and emails of that nature...

I haven't done business with Henry personally. But better that they give you a two week window and surprise you three days later when it arrives than absolutely promise something will ship the next day and then, when something out of their control happens and it can't ship for two more days, have a customer get all worked up and firing emails back and forth.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

rbertalotto wrote: I don't understand why Henry doesn't use a side loading gate on the Big Boy?
Saves them money in the manufacturing. It also saves them from selling one of their centerfire rifles to me. :lol:

I do like their rimfires.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

By the way, it would do the OP a lot of good to spend some time in the bush in AK - you tend to get more laid back about shipping and delivery times. Was in a village a couple times this last year where the postoffice had only a volunteer working, and only when she didn't have more pressing personal duties.

Grew up in a village that had the mail come in each Thursday on a Beaver and dropped off on the Airplane float. No store in town, one community phone, and Christmas shopping involved a Sears catalog and a mail-in order form.