OT- Reloading question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Reloading question

Post by Rusty »

On another forum someone was talking about drilling out the back of a .223 case so a shotgun primer would fit. then thinning the head a bit so it would chamber. The shotgun primer only is then used to push a pellet down range.

I was wondering if a shotgun primer is that much hotter than a standard or magnum primer? Any thoughts?

thanks,
Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Using Primers in 22 centerfire to shoot pellets

Post by Cliff »

I haven't heard of converting a cartridge case to use a shotgun primer but have of using a regular or magnum primer. Some have opened the flash hole a little larger then simply dabbed a bit of light lube on the pellet and seated into the neck of the cartridge case and shot the pellets that way. I have done this on a 222 and it worked pretty well. I don't think you would gain much using a shotgun primer. The pellets are not that heavy and not that strong, may blow the skirt on one leaving part of it in the barrel or case. Accuracy wasn't all that great compared to a good air gun, but those who have done this were seeking a quiet load for indoor use. Might have possibilities however. Good Luck.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I tried it a while back using .30-30 cases that I enlarged the flash hole in. I used a magnum primer and a .310 round ball. I got about 5 of them to work till one lodged in the barrel. That might have been because I didn't use any lube. They made a healthy WACK when they hit a piece of plywood but the point of aim was really far off.

The .223 does have some definite possibilities though.

AS for the shotgun primers, I have a friend that used to reload for a 7.62X54R using shotgun primers and really mild loads back when he could find anything but berdan primed brass.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I had a commercial product for this they still make: http://www.convert-a-pell.com/ and mine worked just fine - was kind of fun. Then we moved to the country, so I just shoot 'real' ammo. I recall 1/2" 5-shot groups from my Contender (.223 x 14") at about 28 feet, and thinking it would be a great rat/mouse/pest round, but never actually went 'hunting' with it.

Here's the ad for the one I had: http://www.convert-a-pell.com/prod03.htm
There is supposedly a thread on the product on http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/ but I couldn't find it and am not a member so I think some forum features ('search,' for one) are disabled.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Sounds ok but yesterday there was a thread about "pellet guns" and with all the great information and links by AmBraCal and others, I'm going to be ordering one in a short time.

Still, I can understand the appeal to a died-in-the-wool handloader. Good thread.
ED
Yer never too old
dodge
Levergunner

Post by dodge »

I've done it with a 22 Hornet 10" barrel on a Contender. No changes to the brass other than full length resizing. I used regular primers and no lub on the pellet. Loaded the pellet so that the skirt was to the front of the round. Deadly on very small vermin at about 15 ft. A friend of mine hit a coon hound that was baying at the moon late one night and he said that the dog gave a little yip and went back into his dog house never to come out the rest of the night. He looked at the dog the next day and there was no sign of injury to the dog. The dog was about 60 ft from his bedroom window.