reloading press----which one??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

reloading press----which one??

Post by brucew44guns »

Even though I have a wagon load of factory ammo in many calibers, I am going to start doing some serious shooting. I've been buying dies, and a few various tools needed for reloading. I have a son-in-law that can coach me and help me get started. Now---the big question: I don't want to start small, start cheap, start poor boy. Want to go NICE from day one. I want a real dandy press that will do a heck of a job no matter what I load, for way out into the future with no need to upgrade to something better or that will work faster. What one should I buy? Money IS an object, but I'm prepared to buy a Cadillac rather than a used Toyota if you get my drift. I value your input. Bruce
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: reloading press----which one??

Post by J Miller »

brucew44guns wrote:Even though I have a wagon load of factory ammo in many calibers, I am going to start doing some serious shooting. I've been buying dies, and a few various tools needed for reloading. I have a son-in-law that can coach me and help me get started. Now---the big question: I don't want to start small, start cheap, start poor boy. Want to go NICE from day one. I want a real dandy press that will do a heck of a job no matter what I load, for way out into the future with no need to upgrade to something better or that will work faster. What one should I buy? Money IS an object, but I'm prepared to buy a Cadillac rather than a used Toyota if you get my drift. I value your input. Bruce
Bruce,

I understand what you are saying and I have two presses to suggest based on my experiences.

RCBS Rock Chucker or better or the Forster Bonanza Co-Ax. With preference to the Co-Ax.

I have both and I just flat love the Co-Ax. It has several features that the Rock Chucker does not, and will do anything the RC will do. It does not require individual shell holders, and it has a primer drop tube with a collection bottle to keep the press and loading area free of fired primers and the crud that comes from them.

There are other top end good presses, but these are the ones I have experience with.
Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Re: reloading press----which one??

Post by Noah Zark »

J Miller wrote: . . . RCBS Rock Chucker or better or the Forster Bonanza Co-Ax. With preference to the Co-Ax.

I have both and I just flat love the Co-Ax. It has several features that the Rock Chucker does not, and will do anything the RC will do. It does not require individual shell holders, and it has a primer drop tube with a collection bottle to keep the press and loading area free of fired primers and the crud that comes from them.

+1 for what Joe said.

I have a 30 yr old Rock Chucker, and I've used a friend's Co-Ax. I may invest in a Co-Ax at some point; VERY nice, user friendly press.

For the handgun calibers of which I burn through a lot (a couple 9m subguns to keep fed, and a pathological fondness for the 1911), I have two Dillon Square Deal Bs, both of which I bought used. One is set up for 45 ACP and the other is set up in 9mm. I'm looking to get spare die sets and tool holders for 45 Colt, 38 Spl/357 Mag and 44 Spl/44 Mag. I can get about 350 rds per hour out of a SDB, sometimes even 400 RPH.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
mad mucus
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mad mucus »

More info required..... how many calibers will be loaded, rifle & or pistol cartridges, single stage, turret, auto-indexing, volume output, throwing powder or scaling, seating primers etc.

Mucus
"Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

more info

Post by brucew44guns »

I have 22-250, 32-20, 25-20, 30-30, 35 Rem, 348, 308, 30-06, 45-70, 300 win mag. Thats about it in rifle. Got 357, 45 colt, 44 mag, 41 mag handguns. I just don't want to get into something that takes all night to reload 50 rounds, want to go fast after I learn how. Bruce
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

If I was buying a single stage press, I would get Redding T-7.
Of course my 30+ year old Rock Chucker is as good as the day my father bought it, so I have no reason/excuse to buy one. I'd like one though. :D
Slow is just slow.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I have a Rock Chucker myself, and have no complaints in the last 10 years so far.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I bought an RCBS Jr. press new in 1965 and used it for 30 years. It went into the box that my new Rockchucker came out of and sits patiently waiting the day it will get bolted to my bench again.
The Rockchucker is all the press I will ever need. :wink:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Although I have nothing bad to say about the other manufacturer's tools, I like RCBS for everything. I started out that way and by staying with the same brand, its easy to rob parts from other dies,presses, etc. when you have a problem.
One the left is a Rockchucker with a Piggyback for pistol ammo. The center press is a Pro-2000 for all rifle ammo and the press all the way to the right is my first press, a Jr. mad e back in '71, that I use for oddball stuff.
My suggestion is to take the boys above advice. Can't go wrong with a Rockchucker.-------------Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

thanks for your info

Post by brucew44guns »

Well, looks like the Rock Chucker has the nod. I feel like Im getting a bit old to do this, but ammo is getting next to gas in per-centage of prices going up. Evreyone I've ever talked to says that reloading ammo is a world of it's own, very enjoyable. I want to do it. Thanks again, Bruce
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: thanks for your info

Post by AmBraCol »

brucew44guns wrote:Well, looks like the Rock Chucker has the nod. I feel like Im getting a bit old to do this, but ammo is getting next to gas in per-centage of prices going up. Evreyone I've ever talked to says that reloading ammo is a world of it's own, very enjoyable. I want to do it. Thanks again, Bruce
You can't go wrong with the Rockchucker, it's a solid press. But no single stage will put out volumes of ammo quickly. That's where you should start, with a good single stage with which to learn the process. If you want to turn out volumes of ammo for pistol shooting or CAS and such then you should look at the Dillon presses next (after you get your single stage and learn the basics)

Besides the press, get a good quality scale and powder measure. The Lyman measure has given me good service over the years, as has their scale. Loading is a fun pass time in its own right. :-)
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Redding T-7.

If doing a large am't. of reloading, esp. pistol ammunition, a Dillon.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Bruce, if you are looking at producing volume, and aren't afraid to spend the coin, then you should consider one of the Dillon progressive machines. These guys stand behind their equipment fantastically - and with a heck of a lot of pride. I know several competitive shooters feed their guns with Dillon progressive machines. I also know some local shops that do the same. Says a lot when the pros and the semi-pros used their equipment.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I think you should consider some sort of turret or progressive press. That way you can leave your die sets in place. I got one (Lee Classic Cast Turret Press) to save space, but think of the time. Instead of re-installing the dies for each operation, I just rotate the turret one click. With mine it's easy to change die sets for different calibers. I use mine like a single stage press, but I couldn't imagine screwing all those dies in and out.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

The best way to learn and develop Safe/Good handloading habits is by using a single stage press. After some time behind the press and after many rounds - then I feel you should/could move on to a turret or Dillion type set-up. I start with the Master Reloading Kit from RCBS that has the Rock Chucker press and have used it alot in the last 10 years. I then added a Lee Classic Turret and I been generally pleased with this press - although each have their strengths and weakness, plus it all depends if you are going for accuracy foremost or volume(s) first with accuracy second. All and all I would say RCBS products are probably a wise choice for the beginner reloader.

Have fun with it...
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Sixgun wrote:Although I have nothing bad to say about the other manufacturer's tools, I like RCBS for everything. I started out that way and by staying with the same brand, its easy to rob parts from other dies,presses, etc. when you have a problem.
One the left is a Rockchucker with a Piggyback for pistol ammo. The center press is a Pro-2000 for all rifle ammo and the press all the way to the right is my first press, a Jr. mad e back in '71, that I use for oddball stuff.
My suggestion is to take the boys above advice. Can't go wrong with a Rockchucker.-------------Sixgun

Very nice setup
I need to get that organized!
+1 RCBS rockchucker
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

i love my rcbs presses. i would buy the forster coax if i was starting over again due to it's conveniences. but i find i use my lee hand press more than any press.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Get the Lee Classic Turret with a bunch of extra turrets, makes fun, easy, and efficient. Set up each caliber in individual turrets, then slap in the entire assembly each time you change calibers. Still recommend a single stage for de-capping and fine tuning loads where volume is not a factor. Then I'd go with Lee's new quick change Classic Cast single stage or a Hornady Load n' Lock.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Sixgun wrote:Image

[larry] I don't care what you say, that there's impressive, right there. [/larry]

But despite all that, Sixgun must not be too serious about reloading because I don't see a Belding & Mull powder measure . . . ;)

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Noah Zark wrote: But despite all that, Sixgun must not be too serious about reloading because I don't see a Belding & Mull powder measure . . . ;)

Noah

Ol' Sixgun's obviously Irish. Everything in there's green! :shock: :lol:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

shelves

Post by brucew44guns »

Irish or not, it's amazing how those shelves hold up all that weight. If 6 Gun ever sells out, he can name a price per pound and retire in style!!! Impressive to say the least.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

[quote="Old Time Hunter"]Get the Lee Classic Turret with a bunch of extra turrets, makes fun, easy, and efficient. Set up each caliber in individual turrets, then slap in the entire assembly each time you change calibers. Still recommend a single stage for de-capping and fine tuning loads where volume is not a factor. Then I'd go with Lee's new quick change Classic Cast single stage or a Hornady Load n' Lock.[/quote]

The perfect solution for those with a multitude of caliber changes. With the new Lee priming system, you may not want the second press, but if you do, you can buy both for about the cost of the CoAx. Of the eight presses I own, the Lee turret is the center of my bench and the most used.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Not as impressive as "Sixgun's" reloading set-up.
As you can see, I have a RCBS Single Stage Challenger Press mounted to my reloading bench and a LEE Hand Press (on the first shelf). I use the RCBS press for loading my .30-30 and .30-06 ammo and I use the LEE Hand Press for loading ALL of my .444 Marlin ammo.

Actually, I prefer the LEE Hand Press over the RCBS press because I seem to feel the various stages better (i.e., primer seating and bullet seating).
ED
Yer never too old
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

This thread could have been locked down after J Miller's response. The truth lies witihin it. It may not set you free, but it'll allow you to make the best ammo possible. 8)

scott