30 Carbine for Home Defense

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

30 Carbine for Home Defense

Post by earlmck »

Bill (Bill in Oregon) and I hit the Redmond (Oregon) Gun Show today. We found lots of stuff to oggle, quite a goodly number of levers and some pumps and single shots and other neat stuff. I was real tempted by a Savage 99 on 30/30, a Win 1890 .22, a S&W 32/20 revolver, and a Marlin 336A in 32 Special. But what came home with me was this 30 Carbine made about 1918 (Bill suggested it'd be perfect for home defense, and I was hooked). This is not a photo bucket pic, so click on the picture to see full size.
30Carbine.jpg

What? You were expecting a much different 30 Carbine? Yeah, I guess that other thing would work for home defense also, but look at all the class this baby has! And I already have dies and brass in 30 Remington, and a cute little peep sight that attaches to the rear of the receiver in the tang position.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 30 Carbine for Home Defense

Post by FWiedner »

That is kinda classy.

Well done.

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Wow Earl, that is sweet! Can you tell if it came from the factory that way?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Love it!

Kevin
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Beautiful piece :mrgreen: Me really like.... :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Seen one like that at the last gun show for $500. But the guy was busy with other guys buying stuff. When I came back around it was no longer there. I had flat pockets so it didn't matter. But I don't see carbines very often.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

That's real nice!!!
I missed a 25 carbine a while back, dang!!!!

ollogger
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Rusty wrote:Wow Earl, that is sweet! Can you tell if it came from the factory that way?
Yes, this is a factory carbine as opposed to one produced by shortening a rifle barrel. If you shorten a model 14 rifle barrel you loose the swell where the front sight goes.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulation 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

BenT wrote:Seen one like that at the last gun show for $500. But the guy was busy with other guys buying stuff. When I came back around it was no longer there. I had flat pockets so it didn't matter. But I don't see carbines very often.
Yeah, I'll bet it was long gone! I paid $650 for this one and figured the guy had it priced so fair I didn't even try knocking him down further. And you don't see them often because Remington made about 10X as many rifles as they did carbines.
ollogger wrote:That's real nice!!!
I missed a 25 carbine a while back, dang!!!!
Dang!!! is right -- those 25 carbines are like Elvis sightings -- you hear about 'em but are never there to see 'em.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Nice one Earl
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice. Love mine, in 35 rem, though not a carbine. My favorite dealer has a vault full of these rifles and I lust after the F grade carbine in 35 Rem he has. Not this life time though....
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Man I never come across stuff like that. Then again if I did, I'd need more safes. Congrats, let us know how it shoots.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Many years ago I had a .25 Remington. I seem to think it was a 14, might have been a 141 just don't remember but it sure did shoot good and carried good on a saddle.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ragnor
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ragnor »

Nice carbine! I haven't seen a carbine before. I have a 14 and a few 141s. They sure are smooth running actions. My 14 is also a 30 Remington made around 1914. It has an attachment on the barrel for a Maxim silencer from what I have researched. I plan on making a replica of a Maxim for show non functional. My rifle has been professionally reblued and my gun shop sold it to me as a parts gun. I took it home shot off 5 rounds and had no problem busting rocks at 100yds. Thanks for the gun post! I have add some photos of my 14 hope they come thru.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Nice pickup Earl. I tell ya I shoot the 110gr RN for 30 Carbine at 2750fps, the damage they do to a 2litre bottle is astounding. Was going to load some down to 2200fps and see what they do. I shoot them out of a 308 and Rimmed .30 Remington.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, that carbine belonged at your house and I am very glad that is where it now resides!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Ragnor wrote: My 14 is also a 30 Remington made around 1914. It has an attachment on the barrel for a Maxim silencer from what I have researched. I plan on making a replica of a Maxim for show non functional.
Verrry interesting, and good job on the photos, Ragnor. I've been studying those closely because my carbine barrel is cut off just like your barrel would be if the maxim attachment portion were removed. I've been puzzling over that because this gun itself does not appear to have been bubba'd in any way, otherwise. I'm wondering if the factory started to set this one up for a maxim attachment and then changed their mind...
3leggedturtle wrote: I tell ya I shoot the 110gr RN for 30 Carbine at 2750fps, the damage they do to a 2litre bottle is astounding. Was going to load some down to 2200fps and see what they do. I shoot them out of a 308 and Rimmed .30 Remington.
I haven't tried those carbine bullets in the 30 Rem yet but have been loading them in our rimmed .30 Remingtons also (I assuming that's what most of these fellers around here been callin' 30WCF, right?) at about that same velocity.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry