New 73 Short Rifle in .357 mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

New 73 Short Rifle in .357 mag

Post by Lastmohecken »

I finally got it, today. I have not shot it yet, but I did load it several times and jack the rounds through it. It's butter smooth and has a great trigger. I think it's going to be a good gun right out of the box.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member, Patron
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Re: New 73 Short Rifle in .357 mag

Post by jkbrea »

Beautiful looking rifle. Nice pics.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Did you order that online or via your local dealer? Very nice
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

vancelw wrote:Did you order that online or via your local dealer? Very nice
I bought it from a local dealer. He gets them in on occasion. It does seem like quality does vary from gun to gun on these, somewhat. He recently got several in and had about 5 different ones on the rack, some in 45 colt and some in .357, I had a hard time deciding which one to get, not to mention debating on which caliber to get. He has a little half round barrel that was shorter and I was tempted to get it but the sights did not seem to be exactly straight to eye for me, and the one I bought seemed to have the smoothest action, and one of the better triggers.

I don't know if I would buy one on line, it seems now days, I often get disappointed when I buy a gun I can't handle first. Maybe I am too picky. :D
NRA Life Member, Patron
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Lastmohecken wrote:
vancelw wrote:Did you order that online or via your local dealer? Very nice
I bought it from a local dealer. He gets them in on occasion. It does seem like quality does vary from gun to gun on these, somewhat. He recently got several in and had about 5 different ones on the rack, some in 45 colt and some in .357, I had a hard time deciding which one to get, not to mention debating on which caliber to get. He has a little half round barrel that was shorter and I was tempted to get it but the sights did not seem to be exactly straight to eye for me, and the one I bought seemed to have the smoothest action, and one of the better triggers.

I don't know if I would buy one on line, it seems now days, I often get disappointed when I buy a gun I can't handle first. Maybe I am too picky. :D
I agree!
Nice photo's .

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

That's absolutely gorgeous
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

they really make a quality product.....except for one thing...a very heavy trigger
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

RIHMFIRE wrote:they really make a quality product.....except for one thing...a very heavy trigger
I agree, I was looking at some different ones a few months ago, and they were very heavy, and definitely not to my liking. This one I bought was a Cimarron model, if that matters. Anyway, the trigger is one thing that finally got me to the point of buying one. It's not what I would call a light trigger, but it's not bad, compared to most of them that I have handled.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Good lookin' rifle. That model with the ½-round barrel is the one that I've been givin' the eye!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Griff wrote:Good lookin' rifle. That model with the ½-round barrel is the one that I've been givin' the eye!!!
Yes, I like the looks and balance of the short half round barrel. I was temped to get it instead, but the front sight seemed not quite straight to my eye. One other thing I did notice also, was they used the same sights as the longer short rifle, but they did not seen as sharp to my eye on the half round model, because the sights were closer together on the shorter half round barrel model, in my opinion, I believe the shorter distance makes the front sight fill up the notch in the rear sight a little too full so it isn't as sharp to my eye. Of course if one added a tang peep it would not be an issue or maybe file cut the rear notch a little wider.

I wouldn't mind maybe owning the half round barrel model in 45 colt, maybe, as that might be the lightest configuration available.
NRA Life Member, Patron
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Hey, that's a mighty fine lookin' rifle. 20" bbl.? I have the 24" checkered, pistol grip one and a 20" straight stocked one. Both 44-40 though. Actually the short one is Mama's.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

M. M. Wright wrote:Hey, that's a mighty fine lookin' rifle. 20" bbl.? I have the 24" checkered, pistol grip one and a 20" straight stocked one. Both 44-40 though. Actually the short one is Mama's.
Thanks,
Yes, it's a 20 inch barrel.

I think 44-40 would be the one to go for sure if I was considering shooting black powder. Which if I had more time to play around, I would enjoy getting into it. I also have heard that the 44-40 is the most reliable round for the model 73.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That new Miroku 73 is perking my interest....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

Thanks for that first photo, it says it all. What it is, why you got it, how you love it. Now go ride the high country.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I shot it today. It worked flawlessly no hang ups, jams, etc. I need to drift the rear sight just a touch to the right, as it is shooting slightly to left, not enough to miss most targets but just enough that I can tell it needs to move a little. Took a little walk over the snow covered fields, good to be out in the peace and quite for a few minutes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member, Patron
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Lastmohecken - Great pictures. Man what a great looking '73. Glad it shoots good for you. Bet you'll hang onto that one for a long time. Since we are more or less neighbors I'd sure like sometime to take a gander of that one in the "flesh", so to speak. Congratulations on a beautiful carbine, ...and that saddle...WoW!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

nice rifle.

hope that's not your bed in the pics,
bad luck to throw your hat on your bunk. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

pokey wrote:nice rifle.

I forgot about that old superstition. Yes, I messed up.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

GoatGuy wrote:Lastmohecken - Great pictures. Man what a great looking '73. Glad it shoots good for you. Bet you'll hang onto that one for a long time. Since we are more or less neighbors I'd sure like sometime to take a gander of that one in the "flesh", so to speak. Congratulations on a beautiful carbine, ...and that saddle...WoW!

Thanks,
yeah, I haven't forgot, hopefully a little later this year, we might get together. It seems like I have been so busy for the last few months, too much work, but I guess that's better then the opposite.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Lastmohecken wrote:
pokey wrote:nice rifle.
I forgot about that old superstition. Yes, I messed up.
Only brim down... crown down is ok. :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!