OT- Computer popups problem

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

OT- Computer popups problem

Post by Bullard4075 »

Problem in a nutshell: I keep getting popup screens when I try to open a thread or post.

It not every time but nearly so.
Not just this program but others also.
Popup blocker is on in Firefox (what I use).
getsoftfree.com and fastdailyfinder.com are the two most sites
that pop up.
My security (Norton) software finds no viruses or problems.
No problems (popups) appear in my email program.

Related (maybe) problem: While reading any post seemingly random words and phrases in
the post will be in color (blue) and double underlined. Running the mouse near or over the
word/phrase will popup a little box advertisement- always the same- UPDATE YOUR SOFTWARE NOW
with updatesoftnow.com in the lower left corner.

The word soft shows up in at least two of the problem links. Coincidence?

When I Bing getsoftfree.com I get a popup from my security software warning me away from the site.

When I Bing Fastdailyfinder.com I get the information that it is a advertising network and seems to say
they are not the ones putting the popups up.

Anyone have any experience with the program Spybot?
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Computer popups problem

Post by pwl44m »

That is the kind of stuff I got with Fire Fox. Just for the heck of it try another browser.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I use Firefox and I can't remember the last time I had a popup.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Download and run Malwarebytes.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

There is a free version that will fix you right up.

Jack
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

I run Firefox. Recently I started getting popups also. Not being a 'puter guy, and not wanting to download something I was unsure of, I went into the place where you add and delete programs. I remembered about the time it started the popups, and sure enough found a program from that day. I deleted this program and things are fine now. I am sure I got lucky, but it worked for me.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Google is our friend:

https://www.google.com/search?q=remove+ ... channel=sb

So saying, you've got problems, and unless computer literate (my apologies, I do not intend to demean) it may be beyond your efforts to remove. What I saw on a quick search was not positive

https://www.google.com/search?q=remove+ ... channel=sb

Both appear to be a version of malware to varying degrees.

Please, please tell me you don't use that PC for anything other than casual browsing, and not banking, etc. Regardless, if you have any sites you use passwords on, I would consider them compromised.

You can try Spybot Search and Destroy, it's not the best of programs but I've always had good luck with it. There's a lot of scam websites out there with similar names, but this one is good

http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Search- ... 22137.html

I'm sorry but Norton these days is a joke. Ditto for Macafee.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I agree, the problem is not Firefox, you have a trojan. It just happened to install in the browser you were using at the time.
Finding them can be tough...sometimes they mimic "system" files that you are reluctant to delete.

I recently had this problem on my desktop. It is an older computer, but I recently replaced the hard drive and started from scratch, so whatever I got was very new. I'm pretty sure I got it from Tucows. Tucows used to be an excellent site for freeware and shareware. Now if you try to download something, 10 other things will piggyback with it :twisted:

I had to change anti-virus programs to get rid of it. I was using Free AVG but switched over to McAfee since I have a free subscription from buying a new laptop.

Uninstalling the current anti-virus software is usually as troubling as removing a virus. Those security programs dig in hard and it sometimes takes a special app to root them out.

I'm no expert, but I'm fairly knowledgeable. I've been using computers since 8th grade (1978). It still took me several hours of scanning, uninstalling, re-installing, scanning......to fix the problem. PITA
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

You have a malware problem that over rides whatever security you have....Using AVG, I hardly ever get them.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

jhrosier wrote:Download and run Malwarebytes.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

There is a free version that will fix you right up.

Jack
+1
Thanks, I did,it did,problem solved. I had 52 infections. I think most were duplicates made every time
I got a popup.
Bullard
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
kragluver
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kragluver »

I have had similar problems. I also use Firefox at home. I use both McAfee and Malwarebytes but they don't always solve the problem.

Try this - go to "Tools - Add ins" on the Firefox toolbar. Chances are, you will see some add ins that you don't recognize. Disable or remove them and see if the problem stops. It has for me (for the most part).

One other thing to watch for - many viruses or malware are coming by looking like a message that you need to upgrade your browser or Adobe (or some other) software. Don't accept any of these "updates". Only update by going to the specific software website (for instance Firefox).
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

kragluver wrote:I have had similar problems. I also use Firefox at home. I use both McAfee and Malwarebytes but they don't always solve the problem.

Try this - go to "Tools - Add ins" on the Firefox toolbar. Chances are, you will see some add ins that you don't recognize. Disable or remove them and see if the problem stops. It has for me (for the most part).

One other thing to watch for - many viruses or malware are coming by looking like a message that you need to upgrade your browser or Adobe (or some other) software. Don't accept any of these "updates". Only update by going to the specific software website (for instance Firefox).
It doesn't seem to matter what browser or security software you use. Some of these are so crafty they dig in and appear to belong. They don't always show up in the add-ons. They sometimes masquerade as system services, even deleting bona fide .exe file and replacing them with dopplegangers.

The key to getting rid of them seems to be using a security program you don't currently have. Since the one you do have has been duped, you have to delete it and try something else. The funny thing is my new software didn't find any problems on the first complete scan, yet the problem is gone. I think the installation package cleaned out the threat before ever installing itself.

I'd like to have a few of those hackers alone for a while. It is so much easier to destroy than it is to build. I never felt much accomplishment out of destruction myself (unless it was a coyote or prairie dog.....)
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've been using Security Essentials. It's not perfect, but I don't ever get popups, and haven't had trouble with things that got through other programs, like AVG free, Defender Pro, and another one that escapes me.

I did get several fake infection notices that figure out what protection I have, poorly mimic their notices and try to get me to clean the 3 or 4 things it says it caught. I ignore it (it doesn't look quite right) go to my virus protection and look at the history and all detected items, there wasn't anything showing, so I knew the notice was bogus.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

In Firefox, go to Tools, Tabs, check Open new windows in a new tab instead. I was having the same issue with a full screen pop-up and this stopped that. This was just this morning, so the information is current.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

MalwareBytes is about the best tool going for those infections.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.