Using a sling to steady an offhand shooter?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Using a sling to steady an offhand shooter?

Post by Canuck Bob »

I'm just wondering how many guys use or have used a sling as a shooting aid? I'm talking for sport shooting not advanced target or combat use.

I'm thinking offhand shooting and dual use rifle carry and shooting aid.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Using a sling to steady an offhand shooter?

Post by Malamute »

It helps somewhat, but not as much as in supported positions. I take a quick elbow into the sling simply to keep the sling from swinging and offbalancing the gun while shooting. I think it slows me down a little when not getting the sling under control. Even a light sling swinging can affect a steady hold for me.

Many take a wrap of a carry sling around their arm in a "hasty sling" style. This works, but not as well as a true shooting sling. The old two part leather military slings were best for shooting aids, being designed just for that purpose. Most folks not trained on them never understood how they functioned or how to adjust them for proper use.

I think pulling a truly tight sling on a levergun may not give as much benefit as on a bolt gun with a more rigid stock setup, and not in effect pulling on the barrel.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

I do it when there is nothing to get a steady rest on. It certainly beats nothing. :D
NRA life member
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Look into the Ching Sling. Best parts of the military 2 piece setup, and the hasty sling. You can sling up in seconds.

I would zero while slung since if the gun's not free floated this will affect accuracy.
Homer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Homer »

Malamute wrote:I think pulling a truly tight sling on a levergun may not give as much benefit as on a bolt gun with a more rigid stock setup, and not in effect pulling on the barrel.
Malamute nailed it. Also, one cannot often quickly, quietly, and without much movement actually position a sling without spooking the animal he's about to shoot. Unlike the bolt gun, we are often dealing with animals at shorter distances, so getting the gun up and on target quickly without being detected is a bit of a challenge.

I actually use the aid of a sling on a bolt gun when time and situation permits (which also means I'm able to sit down) and no other option is available. On a lever gun, I only use the sling for carrying the rifle, and then only when the hunt is over or I need my hand that usually carries it.
"Take everything but the fire." Long Hair in "The Cowboys"
Neumann
Levergunner

Post by Neumann »

I put a Turner 1907 style sling on my Marlins. It makes them easy to carry and serves as a shooting aid when time and circumstances permit. If you carry the rifle muzzle down on the weak arm shoulder, you can bring it to battery and form an hasty sling in one motion. I doubt there is enough barrel deflection from a tight sling to affect a shot at levergun ranges.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Malamute defined it pretty well. If you practiced more offhand shooting, you would be amazed at how well you can do on your hind legs. Up until I got into competitive silhouette shooting 15 years ago, I was next to worthless without a rest. Shooting several thousand rounds a year at steel targets gives you that hand eye coordination and after a while, you will gain that important muscle memory and will be able to do all of the right things without thinking.......fast.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

Some one taught me how to use a sling once.
He had me sling it over my left shoulder with the muzzle down and the stock behind my shoulder.
When you need to pull it up reach inside the sling and grab the forearm with the left hand so you have a wrap on the left arm and start bringing it up, grab the wrist of the stock with the right hand and shoulder it, the sling will drop down to your left elbow for tensioning if you have it adjusted right.
It works best with a short barrel and a military sling.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Sixgun wrote:... If you practiced more offhand shooting, you would be amazed at how well you can do on your hind legs. Up until I got into competitive silhouette shooting 15 years ago, I was next to worthless without a rest. Shooting several thousand rounds a year at steel targets gives you that hand eye coordination and after a while, you will gain that important muscle memory and will be able to do all of the right things without thinking.......fast.---6
Several years ago I started doing the majority of my practice and plinking offhand since its the hardest way to shoot well, including shooting at the 600 yard plate. Yes, you do get better the more you do it. I also shoot pistols mostly one handed, including at the 300 yard plate, as its the hardest to do well. When you do take a rest, or shoot two handed it seems like cheating.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

williamranks wrote:Some one taught me how to use a sling once.
He had me sling it over my left shoulder with the muzzle down and the stock behind my shoulder.
When you need to pull it up reach inside the sling and grab the forearm with the left hand so you have a wrap on the left arm and start bringing it up, grab the wrist of the stock with the right hand and shoulder it, the sling will drop down to your left elbow for tensioning if you have it adjusted right.
It works best with a short barrel and a military sling.
Yep. Learned that as a kid.

Muzzle-down if on the left-shoulder, muzzle-up if on the right... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I read a book by an exhibition shooter (don't recall the name), he said carried barrel down slung on the left shoulder he could get a shot off in about 1/2 second with a model 71.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Malamute wrote:I read a book by an exhibition shooter (don't recall the name), he said carried barrel down slung on the left shoulder he could get a shot off in about 1/2 second with a model 71.
That would be Herb Parsons. He loved the 71 and the 63. I saw him (on video of course, I ain't that old) shoot up a mess of watermelons with a 71 and it sounded like a semi auto.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Post by carbluesnake »

I have used that left shoulder carry, and it is a good method. I ain't no Herb Parsons, but the sling will help. A carry sling with a wrap on my CZ or Rem. 541 .22 will decrease my groups 1/2 to 3/4 MOA from sitting (obviously unsupported, that is, real shooting).
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I generally will use a shooting sling, and most often take a hasty sling (front of sling wrapped across my support hand, sling around elbow). I don't always shoot with a sling with a lever gun, and don't always have a sling on a lever gun, but almost always on a bolt rifle.

A standard 1917 sling works great. There are some great modern slings now, too. Check out Savvy Sniper.

Some rifles' accuracy may be affected by shooting with a sling, so that is something to be aware of.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Having grown up shooting old levers, I never had a rifle with a sling or a provision for one till I was grown. I always sighted in on a bench with paper targets then got rid of both. All shooting afterwards was done unsupported and offhand at more improvised targets to better simulate the hunting conditions here.
You can get pretty good at this and you can "learn" to be pretty steady. I knew old guys growing up that were incredible shots on running game in the woods. This is where the straight stocked Winchester carbines work their magic. I have many different types of rifles now that are more accurate and have used slings on them but I have to remind myself to use them. As Mr. Murphy stated, the Ching sling, and also the Rhodesian, work very well.
Growing up shooting as I did, I use the scout rifle concept a lot. Most use the Ching sling on these but I find I use the same sling I do on everything else; I really like the old cotton-canvas M1-M14 sling. They are quick to adjust, quiet, and stay put on a wool coat wet or dry. I too carry upside down on the left shoulder. It's mostly to carry the rifle as I find there isn't time to sling-up in most hunting situations here.
Still, I find that after using many bolts and semi's set up with the best equipment available, for hunting the Maine woods and shooting inside 150yrds nothing is faster for first shot on target than a peep sighted Winchester carbine.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

On rifles with free floated barrels, yes, I sling up. On everything else, no. Now I can't swear that using a sling on a non-free floated barrel, or something with a two piece stock like a levergun, or something with the sling attached to the barrel really makes that big a difference, but that's the way I was taught, and it seems to work.

I do remember that on the M16 (original), you were supposed to lay the fore end on the flat of your off hand so as not to deflect the barrel when shooting for the best accuracy. Seemed silly, but I tried it both ways and it did seem to alter the POI. Then again, the M16 was a queer bird for someone who grew up with bolt action centerfire rifles.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

i was trained using the old 'frog' slings of the M1 Garand

i also like the side mounted slings like the M1 Carbine.

when done properly it aids in unsupported shooting a great deal (at least it helps me... :lol: )
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I like a sling in most field positions, but personally find one to be more obstructive than useful in the off-hand position.

IMO it's more useful in off-hand to learn to control one's breathing and proper trigger control, i.e., squeezing rather than jerking the trigger.

If there's and issue with holding the rifle steady in the off-hand shooting position, that's an issue of physical conditioning. Do some push-ups.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Won't take a shot at a living animal without one. :wink:
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

thanks, much more to this than I thought. I used the upside down right shoulder carry, lefty here, for years. Like many folks here I tended to carry my sling in a pack and hand carry. With a new 223 bolt and new stuff to learn I'm hoping to get a little better at hobby shooting skills.

My fist step is learning to shoot my 223 bolt with a scope offhand until I can shoot acceptable groups. I am asking because folks do use a sling for shooting with bolts it seems. You've given me a bunch to research and try.