Blind squirrel finds 1895 Win in 35 Win

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Blind squirrel finds 1895 Win in 35 Win

Post by BenT »

I had a table at the local gun show this weekend to generate some cash. I had a few broken guns that I bought and fixed plus my brother in law had some shotguns. For fun I put up a High Standard pistol I had to see if it would sell. If so I would buy a Ruger 357 for my son and I . Friday night no one was buying. Saturday packed crowd . No hits on the pistol ,then out of the blue a guy walks up and offers me $450 and I took it thinking cool I get that 357.

It wasn't 10 minutes when a retired fellow walk by with a 1895 . I asked him what caliber it was, and 35 Win was the correct answer. It has a great bore, the stock was broken and repaired. When I asked him how much and he said $500. In my mind I thought so much for a 357, I can buy those anytime. I ran around the show after that looking for 35 Win dies , but no luck. Great show sold all but 3 of my BIL guns. Plus I now own a gun that I though I would never have.

This is it with my Browning 1895 in 30-06 that I was thinking about reboring to 35 whelen, but not now.
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Blind squirrel finds 1895 Win in 35 Win

Post by PaperPatch »

Nice looking rifle there. I too have found more stuff by accident...than I ever could have on purpose.
:wink:

Will brass be an issue?
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

That's nice :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Awesome deal ! My wallet would've caught fire from getting the bills out so fast for a deal like that
----- Doug
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

VERY nice catch.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I would have wrapped my arms around him so he couldn't get away.
Slow is just slow.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

surely a awesome find & great deal, well worth putting a 357 on hold

ollogger
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

What can I say but :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:oops: I had to look up 35 Win, but, boy howdy what a barn burner. Wonderful rifle :mrgreen: :mrgreen: (I learn something new here everyday :) )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Nice Grab!!! :mrgreen:

The 35 Win. has always been one those "mystery" cartridge, not much has been written about it. I once had an opportunity to buy a beat up Win. 95 in 30-40 Krag and convert into 35 Win. The owner and I could not come to an agreement so it never happened :| .

I'll be keeping an eye out on the range report.

Mainehunter :wink:
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

An 1895 in 35 Win with shotgun butt is also on my list ... A takedown if I can find it. At $500, that's a huge win for you. I hope you find those dies.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Looked around for dies and brass today. Thought I could form brass from 30-40 Krag, but it would be too short. I can buy Jamison brass for around a buck and half a case. I'd just need 20 cases. Either way it will be a little over $100 to get up and running. By the way I am still smiling. :D :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Good snag. :D I've been playing with the 35 a long time. Yes, you can use 30-40 brass. Just stick in an empty 30-40 loaded with 10 gr. of Bullseye and some cotton or something and let her rip. I would not use this case for hunting or anything important as you noted , the case mouth comes up short, so just seat the bullet out.

I use brass from Buffalo Arms. I buy a hundred at a time and they last, just be careful how far you adjust the sizer.

Also, any 357 pistol bullet will work and they would work fine with the junky do it yourself 30-40 brass for an afternoon of blasting.

The 35 WCF is one of the unsung heros. It's powerful and it's nothing more than a 405 or 40-72 case necked down to 35. I've used it in the Rockies but never did shoot anything with it.

Try to hunt yourself down the Lyman .358318 250 gr. RNGC mould. This bullet number was specifically designed for the 35 WCF. -----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Sixgun wrote:Good snag. :D I've been playing with the 35 a long time. Yes, you can use 30-40 brass. Just stick in an empty 30-40 loaded with 10 gr. of Bullseye and some cotton or something and let her rip. I would not use this case for hunting or anything important as you noted , the case mouth comes up short, so just seat the bullet out.

I use brass from Buffalo Arms. I buy a hundred at a time and they last, just be careful how far you adjust the sizer.

Also, any 357 pistol bullet will work and they would work fine with the junky do it yourself 30-40 brass for an afternoon of blasting.

The 35 WCF is one of the unsung heros. It's powerful and it's nothing more than a 405 or 40-72 case necked down to 35. I've used it in the Rockies but never did shoot anything with it.

Try to hunt yourself down the Lyman .358318 250 gr. RNGC mould. This bullet number was specifically designed for the 35 WCF. -----6
Thanks for the info. It looks like Buffalo arms is the only one who has dies and brass. I will work on a jacketed bullet load and a cast bullet load. Cast is what I plan on shooting the most at steel plates. It did have the climbing Lyman site on it at one time by looking at the missing screw and wear marks. The gentleman I bought it from said he had one in every caliber and this was a duplicate. I have a feeling he bought this one just for the sight and unloaded to me. Which I am OK with. :D

It looks like H4895 would be a good powder to start with. What powders worked good for you?
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ben,
My notes:

46 gr. 3031 250 Hornady RN......2028
50 gr. 4064 250 Hornady RN.......2227......my hunting load
50 gr. 4895. 200 Hornady.....2224
Old WRA factory ammo with 250 jacketed....1943
28 gr. 5744 250 Lyman GC sized .360.......1645
26 gr. 5744 250 Lyman GC sized .360........1550...more accurate than above load.

I have another 20 loads listed but these are the better ones.----6

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Thanks Sixgun. The 250 gr hornady was the bullet I was looking at. Those loads are in the velocity range I am looking at. I found some in Ken Waters petloads that look good also.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ben,
Your welcome. I just looked in Mike V's book and he liked 46 gr. of 3031 (same as my load) but got 2205, almost 200 fps faster than mine.

A Lyman manual I have that dates to 1953 is big on 3031 and Hi-Vel #2, which is just a tad faster burning than 3031. Because the 35 is somewhat of a big bore with a little bottleneck, I would stay with medium powders like 3031 or 4895. The old manuals I have (a lot of 'em) don't list any powders slower than 4320, even for the heavy 250 grainer.

If your rifle turns out to be a shooter, don't ever let it out of your hands. It's a real powerhouse for big game or a fun cheap to shoot linker with pistol bullets. You said the receiver is d&t for climbing Lyman sight. And original sight will set you back 500 or more but that guy who makes the Peabody rifles sells a very nice repo for something like a buck and a quarter. I bought one and stuck it on a 95 in 06 but my son snuck out of here last fall with the rifle and the sight. I tell ya, that boy has fast hands. That gun did not look much different than when it left the factory back in the twenties.

In my opinion, it's about the same power as the 348 with the same bullet weights but more versatile and easier to find components.

Playing in Colorado

I took the 35 for many walks but never pulled the trigger.

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Nice pics big country big gun. I was talking to my buddy Tommy before the show , who likes to shoot old guns like me, the only old Winchesters I would pay money for is a 1886 in 33 Win or an 1895 in 35 Win. So I don't plan on parting with this one because I didn't pay much money for it, unless it doesn't shoot.

Actually this gun didn't cost much. Co-worker came to my house to pick something up . Sees 1977 orange Honda trail 70 in my garage and wants it bad. I got it for free as a parts bike. But that is the color bike my coworker had growing up. So he trades me handgun for bike , I sell hand gun for $450 and buy 1895 for $500. So I have $50 into this gun. Life is good.

First I need dies and brass , second a new stock and the final piece would be a reproduction Lyman sight. Of course somewhere in there I want to shoot a deer with it.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

If you can wait a few days to order the brass and dies, I will be home. I might have a set of dies and some brass as I used to have a 35 win 1895, but not anymore.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Thunder50 wrote:If you can wait a few days to order the brass and dies, I will be home. I might have a set of dies and some brass as I used to have a 35 win 1895, but not anymore.
I would appreciate that. There is a set of dies on ebay that ends either Sunday or Monday, so if you could check before then would be great. Thank You