Opinion needed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Opinion needed

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I've always been of the opinion that criminals are generally lazy and usually stupid. I'm sure there are some exceptions, but I think the rule applies more often than not. So, one of my layers of defense is to harden the target - my house - so the lazy will move on to an easier target. I've lit up the house with automatic lights, have a security system, warning stickers and signs (for the security system), and I keep the plants trimmed around the house. I was thinking about adding some security cameras (a combination or real and fake) visible as a deterrent. It's not that I live in a bad area, but again, just want to make my house the least appealing target.

Anyway, I was mulling this over with a friend, and he thought it was a bad idea, since it may suggest I have something worth stealing. Hadn't thought of that.

What say ye?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Opinion needed

Post by FWiedner »

I disagree with your friend.

My opinion is that you're on the right track.

Open space. Lights. Cameras. Dog(s) or motion detection. Dogs are better.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I've always been of the opinion that criminals are generally lazy and usually stupid. I'm sure there are some exceptions, but I think the rule applies more often than not. So, one of my layers of defense is to harden the target - my house - so the lazy will move on to an easier target. I've lit up the house with automatic lights, have a security system, warning stickers and signs (for the security system), and I keep the plants trimmed around the house. I was thinking about adding some security cameras (a combination or real and fake) visible as a deterrent. It's not that I live in a bad area, but again, just want to make my house the least appealing target.

Anyway, I was mulling this over with a friend, and he thought it was a bad idea, since it may suggest I have something worth stealing. Hadn't thought of that.

What say ye?
Your ideas are sound. He is wrong in my opinion.
Many times these days the break-ins are during the day and they have been scoping out your place knowing your patterns.
If you do the security deal whether its hired or you install a system yourself be sure to go with a cellular system .Not hardline.
Or actually you could do both.
Have it setup that you or spouse gets a alert to your phone wherever you are and you also can have it so you can view it.
Watch actual event live via your cell.
Straight talk has unlimited cell service for $45 a month or $90 for you both.
Also you could do Drop Cam Pro for a $200 and that's it and if you want 7 day look back via the cloud that is $9 a month.

But, the very best thing is have two dogs. one being kinda of bad read end dog. Have your weapons when needed.
And have just the attitude of not being a sucker cause many times it is someone you know who breaks in.

My system I had them put in two 45 watt sirens way up and I test them periodically sounding like a fire dept sirens.
Just remember your password or special word about 10 seconds after alarm sounds to tell Security people its a stand down.

Check the live feeds how drop cam works.
https://www.dropcam.com/live-demos
Last edited by madman4570 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

the cop next door to me says "no lights outside at all"..... is better....
they cant see what they are doing.....and if he see flashlights
then he knows something is up.....but he is also putting up infered cameras

security system via telephone or cable companies are a waste of money...
one cut....and they are useless.....They say wireless is the way to go now....
but....someone will figure out how to beat that too.....

how about a dog....

most people out here in my neck of the woods are packing
and the bad guys know it!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

The system is wireless.

I forgot about our dog. Well, "dog" may be stretching it. It is loud though, so it works on that front! :oops:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

FWiedner wrote:I disagree with your friend.

Yep, these I use and a couple more. At the end of my 350 driveway, I have a sign the says "KEEP OUT". On my front door and a couple of other places I have signs that say, "trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again".

Like you said Kid, most criminals are stupid, but not THAT stupid and just seeing these signs tells them
That there is going to be issues with their health if they trespass.

I don't get anyone coming to the house anymore, no solicitors, driveway seal coat guys, relatives, ex friends, people looking for directions.....no one......just the way I like it.

If they want to think I'm nuts, that's ok.....because I am. The sociopaths and predators of the world made me like that.

Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs.... :D ------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Some of your better companies do offer with hardline if disconnect occurs from service to home it automatically dispatches 911
They use 911 because whoever is closest responds. Local,State LEO etc.
I believe its just a small transmitter way up on pole sending to a receiver circuit in security system panel box.
But the biggie, the two 45 watt fire dept sirems went off too.(battery backup)
had to disconnect terminals while being deafened. Actually people say that live by me they sound like tornado sirens. wake em up! :wink:
Reason I know this before we went Cellular we had a big tree limb break our phone line between electric pole by road and house.(only our line)
State Police showed up.

But, yes Cell is best!
I can watch our place inside and out from about anywhere.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Sixgun wrote:
FWiedner wrote:I disagree with your friend.

Yep, these I use and a couple more. At the end of my 350 driveway, I have a sign the says "KEEP OUT". On my front door and a couple of other places I have signs that say, "trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again".

Like you said Kid, most criminals are stupid, but not THAT stupid and just seeing these signs tells them
That there is going to be issues with their health if they trespass.

I don't get anyone coming to the house anymore, no solicitors, driveway seal coat guys, relatives, ex friends, people looking for directions.....no one......just the way I like it.

If they want to think I'm nuts, that's ok.....because I am. The sociopaths and predators of the world made me like that.

Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs.... :D ------6
:lol: :wink:

Dude, not even the relatives ??? :D

Last weekend wife's girl friend came up. Gave her a beer then jerked her chain for 3 hours why we need guns.(she hates guns)
She told wife---he's a redneck. :mrgreen: Also said to wife "with all these stuffed animals how can you live here". Too manly. :lol:
My 130 lb dog even growled at her. :mrgreen:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Vary your tactics. Post 'alarm' signs for a DIFFERENT alarm company than your real one, or better yet, have TWO systems. Dogs are unpredictable, and therefore good.

Decoy 'gun case' with cheapo guns in the livingroom.

Fake cameras where they can see them, REAL ones they can't see.

Occasional note on door (vary the text):

"Lisa, if you get here early before me or Ted, don't bother goin in the house - Clem's been drinkin' and is pee'd off cuz he thinks Luke done stole Jeff's dirt bike. He says he's gonna go blow Duke's head off, and I think he's full of stuff, but until he sobers up, I wouldn't go in there. I took away his rifle, but he's got his pistol and shotgun somewhere hid, so if you get there before me & Ted, just go down to Burger King, and we'll meet you there."
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

madman4570 wrote:But, yes Cell is best!
This was recommended to us by the security company. I told my wife I would not have cameras inside my home that others had access too. I guess I made the right decision, since it has now been revealed that anyone with very basic skills can access the feed from those cameras.

Thieves are using the security systems' cameras to check homes to see if they are worth breaking into, how to steal the most valuable things in the least time, to learn when people are home or not, and to determine that a home is empty before breaking in.

Even more disturbing, you can put cameras, speakers, and microphones in your children's rooms as part of the systems. You can watch them and speak to them through your cell phone. Pedophiles are hacking into these cameras. I have read a couple accounts of parents hearing talking from their small children's rooms, and found their children undressed and following instructions from a strange voice coming from the speakers.

Sometimes the best ideas . . . . aren't.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

RIHMFIRE wrote: how about a dog....
Dogs are not the most effective weapons. They are very good deterrents. Their psychological impact is far beyond their effectiveness to cause damage to an intruder. We have an instinctive fear of animals with large teeth.

Have you seen the videos of the felons who are willing to face the guns of multiple police officers, but curl in a ball and call for help when they send in a dog?

It is said that even small dogs are good deterrents if they bark.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, I have one neighbor who keeps some geese in his cyclone-fenced yard.

If the loud cackling doesn't wake everyone, or scare the BG's away - there's an even chance the BG's are in for some heavy-duty pecking.

I guess he figures bird feed is cheaper than an alarm company subscription.............

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

7.62 Precision wrote:
madman4570 wrote:But, yes Cell is best!
This was recommended to us by the security company. I told my wife I would not have cameras inside my home that others had access too. I guess I made the right decision, since it has now been revealed that anyone with very basic skills can access the feed from those cameras.

Thieves are using the security systems' cameras to check homes to see if they are worth breaking into, how to steal the most valuable things in the least time, to learn when people are home or not, and to determine that a home is empty before breaking in.

Even more disturbing, you can put cameras, speakers, and microphones in your children's rooms as part of the systems. You can watch them and speak to them through your cell phone. Pedophiles are hacking into these cameras. I have read a couple accounts of parents hearing talking from their small children's rooms, and found their children undressed and following instructions from a strange voice coming from the speakers.

Sometimes the best ideas . . . . aren't.
Thanks will look into this! :wink:
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Pete44ru wrote:. I have one neighbor who keeps some geese in his cyclone-fenced yard.
Hiram Walker distillery in Windsor, Ontario, uses geese instead of electronic security. It is convinced geese & a night watchman do a better job.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I agree on the hackability of cameras. I would only have them send to an on-site (but concealed) recording system. More to document and track down thieves if/when the other systems failed. Or gubment goons that plant 'evidence'.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Following this logic --- who is more likely to get car-jacked -- a 53 year old secretary driving a Camry? Or a hick driving a single cab 8 year old pickup with a Dixie flag front bumper plate and a "protected by Smith & Wesson" bumper sticker ?

I'd put some signs out but not so much that your trying to be conspicuous --- In my area, more and more people are using security cameras and its entertaining watching footage of foolish hooligans in a house making off with the goods completely unaware they are being filmed with much higher quality stuff than a gas station camera
---- and its usually someone from the neighborhood
----- Doug
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

AJMD429 wrote:Vary your tactics. Post 'alarm' signs for a DIFFERENT alarm company than your real one, or better yet, have TWO systems. Dogs are unpredictable, and therefore good.

Decoy 'gun case' with cheapo guns in the livingroom.

Fake cameras where they can see them, REAL ones they can't see.

Occasional note on door (vary the text):

"Lisa, if you get here early before me or Ted, don't bother goin in the house - Clem's been drinkin' and is pee'd off cuz he thinks Luke done stole Jeff's dirt bike. He says he's gonna go blow Duke's head off, and I think he's full of stuff, but until he sobers up, I wouldn't go in there. I took away his rifle, but he's got his pistol and shotgun somewhere hid, so if you get there before me & Ted, just go down to Burger King, and we'll meet you there."
:lol: :mrgreen:
I've doen that when I leave my car or campsite to bike to town or hit a trail
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!