Q: CCL - Texas up to Wyoming and down to Colorado / New Mex?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Q: CCL - Texas up to Wyoming and down to Colorado / New Mex?

Post by chadbr »

I'm making the "ultimate" family trip -- 3.5 weeks from Houston up to N. Dakota -- west to Wyoming and down again through Colorado, etc.

Can anyone tell me or refer me to a website that tells me who accepts what CCL's (i.e. which states is it legal for me to posses and/or carry with a Texas CCL)?

In addition - what about state and /or fed lands?

I'm mainly worried about having something when we're camping in the middle of nowhere in the mountains.

Thanks!!
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

New Mexico does recognize Texas CCW permits. So welcome to the Land of Enchantment. :)
cjm135
Levergunner 1.0

Post by cjm135 »

Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/public/department46.cfm

Looks like you are clear to go. I didn't find anything in your path that does not recognize Texas CCW.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Take in these sites of western South Dakota:

- Spearfish Canyon & numerous waterfalls (northern hills)

- Custer State Park & Needles Highway (central hills)

- Mt. Rushmore & Crazy Horse (central hills)

- Wild Horse Sanctuary (southern hills)

- Slim Buttes Battle Site ( up north) bring your hiking boots since best scenery can not be seen from the road.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

www.handgunlaw.us

Looks like you're good to go except for Nebraska.

Also, I think currently you cannot carry in a National Park. However, I believe that's about to change and may already have.

scott
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

TR -- thanks for the pointers. I had a few of those on the list.

Scott and everyone -- thanks for the information. Very helpful.

Regards, Chad
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

Just to be safe, as I do a lot of travel, I check the NC Department of Justice web site for the updated list of states that have reciprocity. Your state DOJ probably does the same thing. Ours changes every once in awhile, to the good I am pleased to say. We are up to 30 states now.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

A few years back I was making such a trip and checked out all of the various states for their gun laws and transporting of a pistol. I could find all of the laws, but nothing on the Navajo Reservation. I called the Navajo Tribal Police in Window Rock to get a rundown on their firearms laws.

The lady who answered the phone didn't have the answer so, she transfered me to a sargeant who also didn't have the answer. I then was transfered the Captain in charge.

He told me I was welcome to bring my pistol, just don't go waving it around or pointing it at people. He also cautioned me about taking pot shots at the sheep. All of these activities would cause a response from the Tribal Police.

I thanking him and told him the people working for him needed some training as they didn't know what the handgun laws were on the Navajo tribal land. He laughed and told me, they were not uninformed, as there were no laws regarding guns. He told me they didn't make laws against things, but what people do with the things.

A rather advanced group of people wouldn't you say?
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Q: CCL - Texas up to Wyoming and down to Colorado / New

Post by scr83jp »

chadbr wrote:I'm making the "ultimate" family trip -- 3.5 weeks from Houston up to N. Dakota -- west to Wyoming and down again through Colorado, etc.

Can anyone tell me or refer me to a website that tells me who accepts what CCL's (i.e. which states is it legal for me to posses and/or carry with a Texas CCL)?

In addition - what about state and /or fed lands?

I'm mainly worried about having something when we're camping in the middle of nowhere in the mountains.

Thanks!!
Firearms collection in the Hickcock Museum in Cody WY. Ballard Rifles are made there,drive up the Bear Tooth Highway none like it anywhere Charles Kuralt said it was the most beautiful in the world. Visit Red Lodge,MT.Excellent Steak Restaurant in Roscoe,MT The Grizzly Bar & Restaurant.Montana Silversmiths in Columbus,MT www.montanasilversmiths.com famous for their buckles NRA buys from them.
northwoods
Levergunner 1.0

Post by northwoods »

Do not carry concealed in the Colorado National Forrest. Even with a
permit it is a no no.

Bob
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

northwoods wrote:Do not carry concealed in the Colorado National Forrest.
You may carry in Colorado State Forests, but not US National Parks.
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

???? Can you hunt in US National forests ?????
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

oldmax wrote:???? Can you hunt in US National forests ?????
Short answere, YES. "National Parks" are different. There are some exceptions by special permit and in some very rare times when special hunts are opened for the public. Don't confuse, as sometimes I do, "National Parks" with "National Forest" or "National Wilderness" as nearly all of those are huntable.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.