ELK HUNT

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
boolitshooter
Levergunner 2.0

ELK HUNT

Post by boolitshooter »

Edited to add Idaho and Montana.

I thought I would ask our fellow lever gunners for recommendations before searching the net.

Looking for recommendations for outfitters in CO, WY, NM, for a horse back hunt, 5 to 10 days into a wilderness area. Figure 3 to 4 well seasoned hunters. All are known to be very exceptional outdoorsman. Aged from 65 to 72. Of course they have limitations as you can well be aware of if you are approaching this age range.

Looking for a Quality hunting experience, being in the mountains and seeing game will trump killing game in a high fence ranch or canned hunt. So no high fences or caned hunts. The experience in the mountains is imperative.

Yes we are trophy hunters, but a rag bull or cow for meat is welcomed.

Looking at the 2015 season. We are all getting older and who knows what is in store for us.

Thanks All
Last edited by boolitshooter on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Re: ELK HUNT

Post by Centennial »

This year New Mexico deadline was March 19 for draw tags. I don't know why the NMG&F felt the need to move it from mid April, but they did. It is possible to buy a land owner elk tag but they are expensive.
21A, 16B and some others are good. 13 & 17 also but they are muzzle loader hunts. All national forest or Aldo/Gila Wilderness, high country close to the continental divide.

A good contact that packs & rides all that country for the last 35 years is Mike Root 575- 743- 2026.
Over the years he's guided Jeff Cooper, Steve Hornaday, and even trained Special Forces going to Afghanistan in packing/riding on mules and horses in steep mountains cross country at night.
Last edited by Centennial on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Contact the Mescalero Indian tribe, they have a good elk herd.
Also contact Circle Cross Ranch in N.M. I know the owner personally.
He has accomodations in the original ranch house owned by Oliver Lee, famous N.M. bad man.
Be sure to tell John that you want to see the hieroglyphics in the canyon and the waterfall
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I've never used a guide because I've been fortunate enough to stay with relatives in Jackson, Wyoming during hunting season these past 20 years. That being said, I've heard great things about M.F.Hunting Outfitters from Jackson,Wy. Their flyer says they don't advertise much other than a mailed flyer. I believe they have been around 30 or so years. No websites.Their hunts are in great areas and are much less expensive than others. Plus they don't include the pack in and pack out as a hunt day so a 7 day hunt is 7 days, not 5. You can probably find them through Wy Guide and Outfitters Assoc. but I would definately check ratings and contact past clients of any outfitters for their opinions before spending $3500-$5500.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

PM me I'll give you my personal outfitters info.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Stay away from Broadmouth Canyon in Idaho & Utah.
boolitshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by boolitshooter »

Thank you who have replied. Please keep them coming.