Itty bitty rimfires?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Itty bitty rimfires?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I was thinking the other day about how rarely I carry, even though I have a CHL. I was also thinking about the advent of snake season, and how comforting it is to have a small handgun with a couple of snake loads in it, just in case.
I used to carry the Springfield XDS, and also have a heavy-barreled Smith Model 10, but I usually leave both home because of weight/inconvenience.
I thought about one of the Ruger LCRs in .22 LR or .22 WMR, but have read mixed reports on both their accuracy and reliability, plus they are relatively high priced. This has lead me to look seriously for the very first time at the various little North American Arms mini-revolvers.
These are trulyeasy-carry pocket pistols -- in fact so much so that I would have to really watch it when I run errands, which often include stops at the post office.
Anyone else out there carrying an NAA mini-revolver "just because"? Which model do you like, and why? In .22 LR or WMR?
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Itty bitty rimfires?

Post by piller »

I have one of the NAA Mini revolvers and have both cylinders. I have used the WMR shotshells on a snake once, and it did work. They are incredibly loud and my ears rang for almost a week. I was in Oklahoma and fishing in a relative's farm pond at the time. The snake was a fat chocolate colored snake that came up with only its head and about 2 inches of neck out of the water. I was lucky enough to get a good shot in on the first shot. The snake never did open its mouth, so I am not sure if it was a Cotton Mouth. The little revolver is easy to carry, and I have a folding handle for it that covers the trigger when folded, and gives a much better grip when opened. It fires every single time. I like the notch in between cylinders so that you can have the hammer fully down between chambers. I could be wrong, but I think that is something that some of the old cap and ball revolvers had back in the 1800's.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've played around with snake shot out of a rifle (both .22 LR, and Mag.) and I really wouldn't trust it very far, maybe a few feet. IMO (worth what you paid for it) you can get the LCR, or a S&W AirWeight in .38 special, and have an effective snake shot handgun, and they are not all that heavy. With 5 DA shots, you can send that viper to it's maker for sure.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Blaine, you're right of course about the .38s, although they're harder to hide in a pair of Levis. I'll admit I don't much care for the bark and bite of a .38 Special in the lightweight guns. I just don't find them fun to shoot or plink with unless running wadcutters.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have all the parts ( except frame ) for a .22 Llama Ruby D/A revolver.
You can see by the parts that it was noticably smaller than a J frame.
I think a modern manufacturer would find a niche market for something like that.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Did not know such a critter existed, Mescalero.
By the way, 20-some years ago I killed a large-for-Oregon buzztail with one shot using the standard CCI .22 LR shot cartridge from about six feet. Snake died instantly. I was impressed, as was he.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Did not know such a critter existed, Mescalero.
By the way, 20-some years ago I killed a large-for-Oregon buzztail with one shot using the standard CCI .22 LR shot cartridge from about six feet. Snake died instantly. I was impressed, as was he.
I've never tried the CCI.....Maybe I should.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bill in Oregon wrote:I was thinking the other day about how rarely I carry, even though I have a CHL. . . . Anyone else out there carrying an NAA mini-revolver "just because"? Which model do you like, and why? In .22 LR or WMR?
I have the 22 WMR version with 1" barrel, and it IS sometimes my CCW-gun, though mostly if I go into 'prohibited' places where I am unwilling to comply, which is a rare event. Also if I go jogging with my wife (another rare event).

However, 30 years ago I was in a good neighborhood in broad daylight driving, and had a vehicle breakdown, winding up the victim of a knife-wielding robber who snuck up on me when I was inattentive. Not that it would have made any difference if he had decided to slit my throat (the first indication I had of a 'problem' was a knife across the front of my throat), but for quite a long time after that, I carried only 44 Special, 45 ACP, or even 44 Magnum for CCW.

However silly that emotional reaction was on my part, I do know that such events do change one's outlook. Nevertheless, a 22 WMR in your pocket (or hand) is way better than that double-stack 1911 custom combat-special with tritium night-sights, left home because you didn't think you'd need it...!

If you decide on the NAA Mini-Revolver as your primary CCW gun, you might consider the little lasers that clip to the top-strap. With such a hard-to-aim firearm that uses a cartridge requiring precision placement IF you actually do have to fire it, I could see wanting every 'edge' you could get. Out past 10 yards laser sights can be an inch or so 'off', and moreso as you go further out, but for the up-close ranges you'd use a NAA Mini-Revolver, you'd probably be within 1/4" of impact with a laser.
Mescalero wrote:I have all the parts ( except frame ) for a .22 Llama Ruby D/A revolver.
You can see by the parts that it was noticably smaller than a J frame.
I think a modern manufacturer would find a niche market for something like that.
Was it like a Ruger Bearcat...? Those are pretty small, though nowhere as much as the NAA ones (8" long vs. 4-3/4", and 22 oz vs. 5.9 oz).

Actually, if I were using ultra-small firearms for CCW, I'd consider the NAA Guardian or Taurus/Beretta 21's... (4.75" 13.5 oz, 4.92" 11.8 oz respectively)

http://northamericanarms.com/firearms/3 ... 32naa.html

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/21-a-bobcat/

http://www.taurususa.com/product-detail ... model%2022
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

No, much smaller.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

How 'bout this ?

My NAA .22 Mag Black Widow convertible (with extra LR cylinder) - I replaced the humongous BW issue rubber bumpers with a set of HR birdshead grip panels.

But NAA makes even smaller/cheaper Mini's (below - .22 S, .22LR, & .22WRM frame sizes)

jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I had a Beretta in .22 short years back, think it was a 950BS or 850BS, wanted something a little larger. Liked the design and quality, so I got a Tomcat .32 when they came out with the same tip up barrel design, and like it a lot to this day. Park in the rear pocket (or front) of Levi 501s and it's good to go. They had some problems with the early frames but I guess I got lucky as mine is fine. With the Grizzly Extreme cartridges in it it's a stopper.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Pete, I was thinking of exactly that model -- and of modifying those grips. How's she working for you? Accuracy?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well, a quick buzz of several local stores turned up this one, the "Earl," based on a scaled down Remington Model 1858. Came with two cylinders for just under $300. I can swap out the grips, and it does have a rear sight which, with the three-inch barrel, should actually give me a chance at accuracy.

Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

I have an American Arms Derringer chambered for .45/.410. Light easy to conceal, even in jeans. With a couple of #6 shot .410 shells it's plenty for snakes and up close and personal it would go a long ways toward discouraging two legged predators. Is it a target pistol......nope and it has a very heavy trigger pull and kicks like a mule. It is definitely not a plinking gun but it serves a purpose.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill that's good looking. Would be a hoot to shoot. I'd love to try one.

It's bigger than the ruger lcp, longer and wider, might weigh more, carries fewer rounds and is single action;
other than that.... :)

G
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Grizz, I'm kind of a dinosaur, so all those points are arguments in favor to my Luddite way o' thinking. And she's made of wood and steel ...
:wink:
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Bill, ive shot the earl & there a hoot, the super mini is to small for me
I have shot rattle snakes with 22 snake shot & it kills them right now, but mostly
carry a S&W 642 for snake season, fits in back pocket just right!

ollogger
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

On the other hand. . .
Rimfires - Failures to Fire.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Bill,

You could try one of these 100-year-old Harrington & Richardson Premiers, though they are a bit larger than those Minis:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Grizz, I'm kind of a dinosaur, so all those points are arguments in favor to my Luddite way o' thinking. And she's made of wood and steel ...
:wink:
here is another point in favor of your way of thinking, from another dinosaur:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUM1r_444CY

I've seen this replicated with frozen beef at 400 yards. 22 has awesome properties.

Grizz
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The NAAs are great little pieces. You can get one with a Mag and a LR cylinder from the start if you like. I also like the stag grips better than the standard wood. The wood is too slick, the rubber is too sticky, but the stag is juuust right.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Rusty, I'm with you on the stag grips. Very nice.
Shawn, I've always been fond of a top-break.
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

.22rf vs. 38 centerfire with snakeshot.
how close do you want to get to that 24" prairie rattler when you yank the trigger?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Just ordered the faux stag grips from NAA. Sheesh!

:oops:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Bought my first NAA on a whim. I pretty much lives in my pocket. Regardless of what else I'm carrying, I can toss it in a pocket and never know it's there. Never figured I'd be a two gun toter, regardless of what that Smith fellow says. But then again, I do have a spare tire on all of my vehicles and I never know those are there either till I need one.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Well, a quick buzz of several local stores turned up this one, the "Earl," based on a scaled down Remington Model 1858. Came with two cylinders for just under $300. I can swap out the grips, and it does have a rear sight which, with the three-inch barrel, should actually give me a chance at accuracy.

Not sure I could resist one of those if I cam across one! 8)
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

I have never owned one of the NAA mini's but one time :) a few of us buds went down to Rocky point to a off road race and we decided to get a motel room. I walked into the room and it was to filthy for me so I said I will sleep in the Van, I started for the van and Paul followed me out to the van and handed me his NAA mini 22mag, this was at the time they were locking people up across the line for having a spent casing in your vehicle , I tried to decline his offer by saying you better keep it you might need it, but he countered by reaching into his other pocket and pulling out another one, he said yea they are kinda slow to reload so I just a bought a second one.

Another time at one of our Friday evening/ night shoots, five of us were waiting on the tow truck that was bringing the target, a pack rat came strolling out of the brush and made for a little patch of yellow grass at the base of a cholla, well we all slapped 30 round mags into are rifles and proceeded to fill that little patch of grass with bullets, when the dust settled we walked down to see what was left of the rat, the rat was in bad shape :) but still alive , so Paul whipped out his mini revolver and killed the rat.

------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Lessee... in pocket guns

I've got an NAA Mini, a NAA Guardian (.32 ACP), a cheap but functional 10 shot .22 Semi Auto (Pheonix) and a .38 derringer.

I've never run into a whole gang of snakes that would require more than one or 2 shots total.

Which one do you think I carry snake shot in? :wink:

(When I'm Open Carrying in the woods, usually there is a snake load on top in my SP101...)

NAA Guardian in Wallet Holster:

Cobra .38 Derringer & "in plain sight" deep cover belt pack:

NAA Guardian & .38 Derringer compared:

Last edited by Old Ironsights on Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

NAA had a very small run of top breaks. I sure wanted one of those, but they were gone in the blink of an eye. I've talked to them, and they have no plans for a future run. Too bad, cuz I think they would sell like hotcakes.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Here's the small-CCW options I have settled on:
The NAA I use mostly for 'deep concealment' or things like the rare occasions I go jogging (the little clip holster-grip and light weight make it ideal for clipping on running shorts). I mostly use the 22 WMR cylinder (and it IS loud enough I wouldn't want to fire it without hearing protection)
The next-bigger Beretta 21 has been totally reliable, offers a few more shots, and is flat and compact.
If I want more aiming precision and power, the Taurus 8-shot 22 WMR is better, but starts having the feel of a 'real' (i.e. bulky) gun. It is great for woods-walking or chores.
Finally, if I am going where there could be 2-legged predators to deal with, the little (relatively) 12+1-shot 45 ACP isn't all that much bigger than a small-frame revolver, though loaded with 2,990 grains of bullets in it, it gets heavy.

More commonly I just settle for my Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 Special. Not much bigger than the Taurus.

If none of these options is 'enough', the only 'step up' I have would be 2 more shots in my full-size 1911, or - Mr. Redhawk in 44 Mag, but if I really think either of those will be 'needed', I'll probably stay home, or be carrying a rifle...!

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

it's funny what we get used to. yesterday in the woods I switched the lcp to backup in it's hideout location, and put an XD in the iwb holster. felt like I attached a heavy weight to my hip and had to chinch the chinchstrap two notches to keep my waistband above my ankles. :D