Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Snaketail
Levergunner

Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette

Post by Snaketail »

I recently moved to the middle of the nation and have found there is a shortage of ranges that hold Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette matches. I'm in St. Louis, and can travel to ranges that host events. I'm looking for matches to attend...the SteelChickens range map is so out of date that half the clubs are defunct.

I suppose I could shoot Cowboy Action Silhouette matches for practice...if I have to.

I see Benton, Arkansas, Oklahoma City, as one day trips...anyone else?

M

PS: They hold two matches a year in St. Louis - long range only.
BrentD

Re: Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette

Post by BrentD »

I don't think they hold CLA matches at Wright City (St. Louis Benchrest Rifle Club - it googles easily) but they do hold BPCR matches!

Then the Eastern Nebraska Shooting (or it is Gun) Club south of Omaha I know does have CLA matches but I haven't been to them.

Google up Tappan Hill shooting club in North Central Kansas and check them out as well. I know they do BPCR silhouette but not sure about CLA.

I would love to hear more about what you find. I live in central Iowa and there is pretty darn near nothign of the sort in this area.

Brent
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Just checked Tappan for you - they do have CLA. It might be a hike to get there but the guys that shoot there I have met at other places and seem like good folks so they are on my list of places to visit
http://www.tappanhillgunclub.com/2014-c ... sults.html
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If you belong to the NRA, subscribe to Shooting Sports USA. The current issue still shows CLA matches at Wright City. Next one scheduled for May 25th. Contact lawyerbob@live.com.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That's a shame....when you want to do something and there's no accommodating gun clubs.

You have two choices...either move to Pennsylvania where there are no weekends without some type of a silhouette match going on.....("The Gunny" and I often argue about which gunclub to travel to on any given weekend in order to shoot levergun silhouette)

Or......get involved with your local club, attend meetings, talk and educate the high command of the club, tell them it's a money maker, tell them you are willing to be a leader, tell them that any gunclub that does not have levergun silhouette could easily, tell them that levergun silhouette is the "mostest" fun of all of the shooting disciplines and easily attracts new and old shooters alike and other positive attributes of the sport that I'm too tired to think of.

If the local club does not have a 200 meter range, it's still possible to shoot the small bore and pistol caliber disciplines with 100 meters.

Life is too short to live it in quiet desperation. Go out and make things happen.-----Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Eastern Nebraska Gun Club....Louisville, Nebraska holds these matches through out the summer. A bit of a drive for you though.

http://engc.us/events/
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

They do shoot Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette at the St. Louis Benchrest Rifle Club in Wright City. I haven't shot it, but I do shoot the BPCR Silhouette there. It's not listed specifically on their website, but they shoot it after Highpower Silhouette next month.
There is contact info and more at this link,

http://www.shootingstl.com/drupal/conte ... ompetition

One of these days if I can find the time I'd love to try the levergun version too.
NRA Life Member
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I put on lever action silhouette matches at my club for about 4 years !

The first year was semi productive as we shot for fun only . The BOD at my club announced if I wanted to do it the second year it had to be NRA registerred only . And that pretty much killed it !

The first year I averaged 12-14 each month . After going full NRA my attendence went down to maybe 2 besides myself each month . D...a...m...n if I'm dragging all the targets out for just 3 people . So after 2 or 3 years of that I quit running matches .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

We have run a reduced range (100yd) silhouette shoot at our club for the past 10 years or so. It was mostly .22's but we have half size targets for Hunters pistol and pistol caliber levers shooting cast. Attendance has declined dramatically and basically we've ended up shooting with about 5-6 guys every week. The only thing keeping it going is the few of us who really like to shoot it drag the targets out every week and we tip a local kid to set the targets. If we can't get a kid to set targets we're toast! We are located in the Lockport NY area.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

retmech wrote:We have run a reduced range (100yd) silhouette shoot at our club for the past 10 years or so. It was mostly .22's but we have half size targets for Hunters pistol and pistol caliber levers shooting cast. Attendance has declined dramatically and basically we've ended up shooting with about 5-6 guys every week. The only thing keeping it going is the few of us who really like to shoot it drag the targets out every week and we tip a local kid to set the targets. If we can't get a kid to set targets we're toast! We are located in the Lockport NY area.

I never cared for the smallbore (22) much , but the pistol cartridge lever was okay .

But once you shoot the 200 meter course of fire the other two , well they're still fun just not as much so !

And if you ever get the chance to go to Ridgeway and shoot the big course , well that opens up a whole new world .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Here's some pix of our range in action. Our club shoots every Friday morning during the 6 month winter season, we get about 30-35 shooters out. We use the 1/2 scale targets and just let the guys shoot whatever they bring as long as it's a .22. We put out the 1/5 scale targets also but only 2 or 3 guys shoot those. We follow the NRA rules only sorta kind of, we don't keep the time and no equipment rules. No 1st place winners, no last place losers, no prizes, no scores announced. We also have a regular NRA sanctioned shoot once a month but get pretty sparse attendance. BTW, almost all of our shooters are over 70.

Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

They look well fed too :lol: :lol:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Snaketail
Levergunner

Post by Snaketail »

The Wright City CLA match is ...well, sort of "wanting". Walk out to the chickens, walk further and further back till you get 200 yards from the rams. No SB or PC. No practice before the match, no awards. Just shoot and go home. The Club holds it after the High Power...there were more lever gun shooters then bolt gunners (Hey Bob, did you notice that!).

I found the 6-hour drive to Benton Arkansas to be OK. The range is very nice and the attendance was very good.

I'll probably go back the Wright City match this fall - this time prepared to stand in the sun all afternoon.

OKCity was a bit further, and the regional match was fun, and they fed us well too.

I've looked into Illinois clubs, but my messages have not been answered - may not be active any longer.

So - here in the middle of July in St. Louis- I plan to drive to Arkansas for the Aug 16 & 17 matches, then drive to Dallas for the Texas State Match in late September.
Practice is paper only around St. Louis.
I know there are a dozen or so CLA shooters in the area - I've met them at the Arkansas and Oklahoma matches and at the shooting range, but no club is interested in holding the matches.
Maybe next year.

M
Snaketail
Levergunner

Post by Snaketail »

Here is a photo of the "rain-delay" we had in Oklahoma City...where one shooter set a new national record - 58/60...his back is to the camera.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Good to see your making things happen. :D

Rain delay???? Funny you should mention that. Back in April and after we did the small bore and pistol caliber matches, we started the big bore and as soon as it was my turn to shoot the 200 meter rams, a blinding rainstorm came up. The rams were barely visible and I don't know how I did it but 8 out of 10 fell to the mighty 348. I think it was because I felt I had no chance of hitting anything so I just fired away, carefree. ---6

Snaketail
Levergunner

Post by Snaketail »

See - it is a mental game!
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

We have a once a month match that is pretty much run to NRA rules. If you want. We don't take it very seriously but the targets are the correct size and so are the distances.

In fact we had one today. I found that sighting in my rifle correctly instead of ten inches low I had a much better chance at a decent score. :)

Ours is in a corn field just outside of Wagner, South Dakota.

And it's a real ball.

Cat
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

You may be able to find something here: http://www.steelchickens.com/ It's a great site for anything involving metallic silhouette shooting.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Snaketail wrote:The Wright City CLA match is ...well, sort of "wanting". Walk out to the chickens, walk further and further back till you get 200 yards from the rams. No SB or PC. No practice before the match, no awards. Just shoot and go home. The Club holds it after the High Power...there were more lever gun shooters then bolt gunners (Hey Bob, did you notice that!).

I found the 6-hour drive to Benton Arkansas to be OK. The range is very nice and the attendance was very good.

I'll probably go back the Wright City match this fall - this time prepared to stand in the sun all afternoon.

OKCity was a bit further, and the regional match was fun, and they fed us well too.

I've looked into Illinois clubs, but my messages have not been answered - may not be active any longer.

So - here in the middle of July in St. Louis- I plan to drive to Arkansas for the Aug 16 & 17 matches, then drive to Dallas for the Texas State Match in late September.
Practice is paper only around St. Louis.
I know there are a dozen or so CLA shooters in the area - I've met them at the Arkansas and Oklahoma matches and at the shooting range, but no club is interested in holding the matches.
Maybe next year.

M
Tell me about the club & matches in Benton, AR. I live about 30 minutes from there.

Thanks
Snaketail
Levergunner

Post by Snaketail »

The next match at the Benton Club is August 16 & 17. SB and PC on Saturday and Silhouette rifle on Sunday. Saturday match starts at 9:00, Sunday is 1:00 - after the high-power silhouette match.
Here a link to their site: http://www.bentongunclub.org/index.html
I've only been once, but the guys were friendly and I'm looking forward to going in August. Tip - when you enter the club go to the 2nd range, the 1st is the 200 yard range.

I'm also going to try the club in Topeka. For me its less drive time and they hold all three matches on one day.
Here is a link to Capital City Gun Club: http://www.capitalcitygunclub.com/

The Benton Club is really in Bryant (maybe 5 minutes further drive for you). If you come by be sure to say "hello" - I'm the guy with a grey beard and a hat (umm - I think that describe ALL of us?).
FYI - you can take down the PC targets with a .22.

Michael
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun is right, you just need to market and market and advertise and market and then advertise some more, and you will build a successful program.

jnyork points out a scary fact though..."most of our shooters are over 70 years old".... :shock:

I think if I ran a gun club, I would DOUBLE the range fees for anyone who did not bring a guest under the age of 30. it may be cute and fun to have a 'good old boys' shoot-fest, but if anyone actually cares about the future of shooting sports they MUST see to it that children or grandchildren, or if need be, random young passers-by, are introduced to the sport.....!!!!!!!!!!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

QUOTE "I think if I ran a gun club, I would DOUBLE the range fees for anyone who did not bring a guest under the age of 30. it may be cute and fun to have a 'good old boys' shoot-fest, but if anyone actually cares about the future of shooting sports they MUST see to it that children or grandchildren, or if need be, random young passers-by, are introduced to the sport.....!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

I disagree! The idea is to get more shooters, especially young shooters. If you penalize a regular shooter by doubling the fee for not bringing a youngster, that regular shooter is gonna stop showing up! What you should do is reward the regular shooter, as well as the new guy, by offering them a free match. That gives incentive to bring new shooters, and gives incentive to a new shooter to try the sport!
At the club where I shoot, any shooter, regardless of age, who is new to any given discipline gets his first match for free, and any shooter 18 years old or younger shoots for free.
Even at that, we seldom get any young shooters. :(

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Snaketail
Levergunner

Post by Snaketail »

I qualify as a senior shooter, so I get to say this.

A lot of the older guys just want to drive up to the line and shoot. They don;t want to talk, they don't want to mess with anyone. They just want to shoot and leave.

I saw this often in Tucson - Old Coot City. At the wonderful trap range they would back their cars in and walk the 10 steps to the shooting station...fire off their 25 or 50 rounds and go home.

Locally, they drive out to the Bench Rest club and do the same thing - no interaction with other shooters at all (and they get upset when there is a match going at "their" shooting station.)

However, at the Lever Action Matches (yes, many of the shooters are seniors, but the Regional match in OKC had several Junior shooters too), there is at least some social interaction...we talk to each other. We have fun and a couple of people get awards at the end.

Three of my shooting buddies don't internet...they do not look on-line for matches. They communicate with snail mail and word of mouth.

I'm campaigning to get one of the "somewhat-local" clubs to hold a trail match...I'm sure I'll have to call or visit everyone to make sure there is a good turnout - I'm willing.
But, first the club has to agree to a trial match and they seem reluctant!

If I get l luck I'll let everyone know.

M

never shoulda moved from Texas
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Snake tail,
I see what you are up against. Lots of older dudes are happy where they are at. Many guys seem to close off their minds when they get in their late fifties and by 65, they are set in their ways. Older guys also tend to think just because they have been members for 200 years, they know what is best and dislike younger shooters and rebuke their ideas, mostly because they are nearing the end of their shooting career and misery loves company.

At our club (Atglen Sportsmans Club) we have something going on every weekend and it's because we welcome new ideas. They make it clear if anyone wants to start a new shooting discipline, the money and the bulldozers are waiting.

By nature, most guys are cheap. They balk at spending $100 a year for shooting membership but come driving in with a $50,000 pickup.

It's all in the leadership....not many want to take the reins. If you want to start something new, you will need to take the reins and spend more money and devote the time to educate the others. Go out and buy a set of pistol caliber or small bore silhouette targets, set them up and shoot. The others will want to get in on the action. You only need a few guys to talk to the leaders to put in all in gear. You be the one to start the engine.

We have all heard that 5% of the guys do 99% of the work and thinking. Put yourself in that 5%.

Bring your I Pad to a meeting and show the guys a few videos. If you don't have meetings, then take it upon yourself to the leadership to have one and urge members to attend.

If the old guys (I'm no youngster, just turned 60) don't like it then they can wallow in their misery behind the shooting lines.-----6

Here's a vid from one of our matches. I'm using a 92 with BP and it's the only match I used it in..Too messy for me :D

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gs6LvI6yZU

Snaketail
Levergunner

Post by Snaketail »

I'd seen you video before - thanks for the link.

August 9th I plan to shoot in Topeka, Ks. They have some Missouri shooters that travel there too. Then a week later I'll travel to Benton, Ar...more Missouri shooters there.

I'm collecting all the contacts I can.

I have a "campaign" going to get a club in central Missouri with Hunter's Pistol Targets to let us shoot Small Bore and Pistol Cartridge during their regular match. If I can get enough other shooters to make the same request - maybe the Hunter's Pistol Club will respond.

The problem is - most of the time the "contact information" listed on the web sites is out or date. And, so far the central state club has not responded to any of my emails (out of date?)

It's an uphill battle, I'm retired now so maybe I can devote some time to this campaign.

Or, maybe I could buy some land and...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I had a different, yet the same problem when I moved from CA to TX and wanted to shoot cowboy action. The closest club to me wouldn't allow steel targets... still don't, some 24 years later.

So... after shooting every weekend in CA to no shooting for several months in TX, with me driving to every club in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, I finally got to attend a match... down in Columbus, TX. What a joke... those fellars had a VERY distorted view of what cowboy action was about. Still do... and won't change.

I finally got a location 100 miles from the house... I drove out to Raton, NM to attend a match, bought enough targets for 4 stages, and hauled them back from NM. Then, for a year, I loaded up my targets every month, hauled them to my match, set up the stages, ran the match, luckily with lots of help from my wife & then 12 year old son, loaded up the steel and hauled 'em home. One of the other guys, there were about 12 of us... found a new location, where we could leave the steel, and that eased the problem. 6 of us formed our own club, and paid the owner of the land on a "per shooter" basis.

That lasted about 6 years, and the land owner died, his heirs didn't want the liability, and again, a new member stepped up and secured a new location. We've been there for about 16 years. The club has grown, shrunk, grown, but has generally prospered. Meanwhile, within 150 miles, 6 new clubs have started! You can now shoot every weekend, both days, and sometimes need to make a choice about which club to attend.

Silhouette shooting is still in its infancy... Lever action that is. Locally, there's been as many as 3 clubs that host matches... now it seems as though it's down to one... and they shoot the same weekend as my cowboy club. Where, even I, as a founding member am the last one still shooting... but it's been 23 years since we formed that "new" club. Sometimes I'm discouraged by the fact that I'm the only one still shooting of our original 25 or so members... other times I'm encouraged and heartened by the fact that there's so many NEW folks!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'll tell you, one of the BEST things, is, since I drive a truck, and travel around the country... I've gotten to shoot at several other clubs around the country... (far too infrequently, but... on a couple of occasions, I've met someone that tells me, "... I started shooting at that club in TX and had the best time... so when I moved here, I continued in the game and still love it." Sometimes, when I'm introduced to a "new" shooter, I'm introduced as "...the guy who started cowboy action shooting in Texas..." That's an exaggeration... but a nice stroke to the ego anyway!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!