Thoughts on Generations gone by, and technology.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Thoughts on Generations gone by, and technology.

Post by AJMD429 »

Today I took my Droid along with me as I went up in the woods to look for sticks (I don't ever look for mushrooms, but carry a bag I suppose I could put some in, in case I don't find the sticks I'm really looking for :wink: ). It doesn't really matter though, because pretend or not, I never find any mushrooms. Anyway, Mother's day being this weekend, I got to thinking about my parents, and all the changes in the world since their lifetimes (born at the dawn of the 20th Century).

Well, when my dad was my age, or at least when he was 47 and died, he'd have been hiking these same hills with his fancy new RolleiFlex taking wildflower pictures.

I'm doing the same, only with a 'phone' that happens to take pictures. Only I am able to press a button and take an automatic panorama shot, or a different button and take a video with clear audio to accompany it.

While I am hiking, I am listening to an Oregon album on the same device. I spot a likely mushroom patch for next year, so I hit the GPS button then email the location to myself.

Like him, I am a physician, but instead of waiting to get home and find a penciled message beside the telephone, once again on the same device, I get a text from the answering service, and call an emergency room, again on the same device. Potentially bad news for a lovely patient I've known for two decades, so I call her to gently break the news we need to do some further testing. Before I make that call, I go sit in a deerstand my daughter used last year, just so I can focus and talk to her without distraction. I think I told her the news in such a way that she can still have a halfway enjoyable weekend. Then on the same device, I look up my nurse's phone number, and text her a reminder to check our fax machine at the office because I just got a CT scan faxed there I want to be sure to look at Monday.

I return to taking photographs and listening to Oregon, though a bit more somberly. I'm thankful that my Dad married a woman of incredible intelligence, impeccable honesty, and impressive artistry, who after his death, managed to raise decent kids despite living far below the 'poverty' line. She taught us what was important was relationships, and integrity, and spirituality, versus material things or social status. Nonetheless, I do enjoy my high-tech Droid, even though I realize it is just a thing.

As I sit on one of my favorite spots, and one I know my Dad liked as well, watching the sun set, I hope my Mom and Dad still exist in some form somewhere that perhaps they can vicariously enjoy some of these things, and contemplate the fact that although the technology is so incredibly more sophisticated, the core of what we do in life is unchanged. We care for our patients, enjoy the moments in between life's crises, and wonder at what nature provides for us.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Thoughts on Generations gone by, and technology.

Post by Centennial »

My thought is human nature has never changed and won't, only technology changes. I appreciate new things but find comfort in going back to old reliable technology from days gone by.

...."As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives
boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball
and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character
on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson, August 19, 1785 .(excerpt from Jefferson's letter to Peter Carr)
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I was listening to my girlfriends I Pod shuffle.
Incredible music and clarity, no bigger than a postage stamp,
the tech is surpassing our ability to comprehend,it is troublesome.
I find myself going back to my mescalero teachers words,
it may seem dated to many, but it is comforting to me.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I think of my grandmother whenever I think of "future shock"... in her lifetime, which began 2 years after the first patent for the telephone, to a man walking on the moon.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

My Mother's parents never had electricity, never had a telephone, but did purchase a car once my Grandfather retired!

They never thought they were missing anything. Heck they raised seven children that way and made one heck of an impression on twenty five grandchildren. My Grandmother passed away back in '82, my Grandfather made it to just before '90. Believe my Grandmother was the forerunner of the cougar generation as she was born in 1895 and my Grandfather wasn't born until 1898.

Loved to listen to their stories about growing up and the changes they had seen. Especially within the ambiance of gas lights and a soft wafting breeze rustling the leaves in the trees while sitting on the porch. Not an electric light, nor the sound of some artificial social entertainment to distract from giving full attention to my Grandparents stories.

Grandma said it was not until she twelve or thirteen before she saw her first "horseless" carriage in Steubenville Township, Ontario...but when they moved to Mitchell when she was fifteen, she would see two or three a week!

Grandpa grew up on a farm in Perth Township, Ontario and did not have ride in a motor carriage until he sixteen. By the time he was out of high school and had finished missionary school, he was shipped to Montana to help the church on the rez. That was the first time he actually saw a airplane up close. A mail plane had crash landed not too far from the rez and he rode out with the carriage to bring the pilot back (he lived).

My Grandfather spent six years doing his missionary work out in Montana and the Dakota's before going back to Ontario and marrying my Grandmother in '24. Grandpa and Grandma ended up in Door County, Wisconsin a few months later, getting his own church and then building his own house. With his bare hands! He manually dug out the cellar and built a field stone foundation, claimed that most of the wood was felled from the clearing of the forest. One of the members of the church donated his mill time to cut the lumber. Grandma said he never had more than one or two people help him on occasion and that every dime used to build the house came from making shoes (he was really, really good at it. Nunn-Busch had nothing on him) and suede Fedora hats. Grandma said that what he made as a preacher was lucky to provide enough to cover a loaf a bread every other month. But that was ok too, chickens produced more eggs than they could eat, her pastries were traded for staples at the general store, and people came from all over to buy her preserves. By the time the house and out buildings were finished, believe it was '26 or '27, my Uncles and Aunts were on the way. A whole bunch of them! So they never got around to putting in electricity...then again, they probably could not afford anyway.

Grandma said she saw a doctor only once, when she was about 6. The school system had all the first year kids checked out....that was in 1900. The next time a doctor saw her was two weeks before she passed.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

My paternal Grandmother was born in Germany and came here as an infant. A couple weeks before she passed she told me she hoped my life would be as rewarding as her's had been. She said she remembered riding in a horse drawn carriage in St Louis as a child, and in her final years went back to Germany in a jet plane to visit relatives. She asked, "how could life be more amazing than that?" How indeed.

When I was born polio had just been conquered, but there was still one boy in my class with leg braces. Since then we've learned how to transplant critical organs from a dead person to a live one, arrest many forms of cancer, replace joints with man made ones, and eradicate many childhood diseases. Transportation, electronics, home conveniences, you name it. My Grandmother would be astounded. But I think the best of it is the personal interaction we have from modern communications. Through various interest groups I'm a member of a much larger community than I would have been if I could only visit with folks I could walk to to see. Call it bad if you like, but to my way of thinking you can't have too many friends.

Post by mod71alaska »

A wonderful thread, Doc! And all who have posted have contributed to the quality of my day. Thanks to each of you!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I sort of mentally roll my eyes when someone mentions Good Old Days vis-a-vis technology....I love all the new stuff. I only wish I had educated myself in their ways. I think I would have been good at it. I would not trade my Galaxy Note II and I-Mac for all the tea in China....Vehicles have never been so fuel efficient and crash-worthy. Too bad middle class income has not kept up with the cost of owning all that stuff. ( I had better add that the classic firearms are still my favorites )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Indeed a thought provoking thread.

Wow :!:

This is what popped out of the memory bank in my head. "Generations gone by"

Why this, I’ve no idea.

Background:
I’m age 12, (early 1970’s) at the hunting cabin in the mountains with my Dad, Cousin and a handful of other guys of various ages. It’s the Sunday afternoon, day before the Monday opener of the PA. Buck season.

The Sunday afternoon sighting in ritual:
Four or so of the older guys did this sighting in ritual every year. Looking back on it I think it could very well be the only time those deer rifles got fired outside of a deer kill. (And yes they got there deer).

No fancy rifle range or shooting benches:
They grabbed a few of those white paper plates off the big cabin table, grabbed their rifle, and dumped a handful of ammo. in a pocket and out to the back of the cabin they went.
Tacked the paper plates to a big old tree, paced off about 50 long steps and commenced to sighting in their rifles. 3 holes in the white paper plate from a sitting or standing position constituted a deer worthy, shot-in rifle. :shock: :D

Come to think of it, no wonder it sounded like a war zone in the PA. mountains Monday morning the first day of buck season back in the day. :D

Man I sure miss those days, and so thankful for those deer camp memories. 8)
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I don't have a smart phone thingy like AJMD. Don't want one either. Couldn't use it if I had it cos this stuff makes zero sense to me.

I have and still use:
>Record players that play real genuine vinyl records.
>Fountain pens
>Rotary dial telephone
>Typewriters
>Genuine carbon lead #2 pencils with a multi size pencil sharpener like we had in school on the wall.
>Film cameras, sometimes. Although my digital cameras just take pics and videos, I still can't figure out or understand the idiotic computerized control panels.
>Mechanical, non computerized electric sewing machines.
>Treadle ( human powered ) sewing machines. Hand crank sewing machines too.

Do I like this new technology? No. I lived without it for many years, and could go right back to being without it very easily.

I guess there has to be one cranky old anachronism in the group.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

J Miller wrote:I don't have a smart phone thingy like AJMD. Don't want one either. Couldn't use it if I had it cos this stuff makes zero sense to me.

I have and still use:
>Fountain pens
>Rotary dial telephone
>Typewriters
>Genuine carbon lead #2 pencils with a multi size pencil sharpener like we had in school on the wall.
>Film cameras, sometimes. Although my digital cameras just take pics and videos, I still can't figure out or understand the idiotic computerized control panels.

Do I like this new technology? No. I lived without it for many years, and could go right back to being without it very easily.

Joe
I hope you didn't insist on leeches when you were so sick awhile back :shock: :o :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

BlaineG wrote:
J Miller wrote:I don't have a smart phone thingy like AJMD. Don't want one either. Couldn't use it if I had it cos this stuff makes zero sense to me.

I have and still use:
>Fountain pens
>Rotary dial telephone
>Typewriters

Joe
I hope you didn't insist on leeches when you were so sick awhile back :shock: :o :wink:
Only if they were Blond, Brunette, or Redheads. :twisted: :twisted:

Good lord Blaine, I'm not THAT old :roll: :lol: .

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Both my mom and dad were born in 1903 and were slow to accept modern technology, perhaps that is why I am not fully into the twenty first century myself.
I like old fashioned, whether it is motorcycles, cars or guns but I do realize that modern products are often superior in all sorts of ways unimaginable just a few years ago.

My old signature line was " Unspoilt by Progress " but as my son pointed out I was typing that out on a computer! :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

Our 19th century house use to be heated with 9 wood stoves. Firewood wood was cut and split with axes.
I am thankful for a chainsaw, it is enough work to cut and split 10 cords a year. I like electricity too because a electric fan spreads the heat around real nice. Not to mention the efficiency of a light-bulb over the smell of kerosene.
Retired Guy
Levergunner

Post by Retired Guy »

My mother remembered the Civil War vets marching in the "Decoration Day" parades. Didn't have a radio so she read about Charles Lindbergh's trans-Atlantic flight in the weekly newspaper. In her later years she flew from London to NY on the Concord.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

J Miller + 1 except I could never type more than 30 corrections, er letters a minute on the old typewriters, so I like 'puters better.

That said, overall, I think this 'modern age' sucks. Look at how technology has changed our society in the last 20 years or so. Cell phones have only been around about 25 years and were once used just by businessmen or rich folk who could afford to pay $400 or so for a bag phone. Now, even 7 year old kids have 'em and you see 'em walking around with 'em glued to their heads (think irradiating their underdeveloped brains :( ) or their walking and looking down at the screen. Even adults walk across the street without even looking for traffic cause their glued to that tiny little screen. My gosh, what in God's green earth is that important??? This technology has basically ruined the youth in this country since texting and tweeting have reduced their literacy/linguistic skills and levels to first graders. It seems like the majority of college students don't know how to write term papers or do proper research anymore because they just google things from wikipedia and cut and paste it into their term papers. IMO, this new technology was created just to further disrupt society and make people virtual mind kontrol slaves, especially the youth. They don't want individuals or independent thinkers but want everyone to think the same, like a hive mind mentality. :cry: They aren't too worried about us older folks cause we'll be dying off soon enough.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

UncleBuck,

You and I are in the same boat. I took typing in high school and at one time I think I got up to 45 words per minute. I .... um .... dis-remember how many errors there were in there too. :?

As for the rest of what you said I totally agree with you. Most, many, a lot, of people today are living their lives through their electronic media device. Living off of what others did before these things existed.

Have you ever watched the animated movie "Walle" (not sure of the spelling)? It depicts a perfect example of what you described.

While in IL I have become addicted to the computer as well. Should I ever get out of here ...... well, there's no wifi or telephone or power outlet where I'll be spending most of my time.

Joe
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

The football coach taught typing in my high school, he carried a 3 foot 1/2' wooden dowel.
I never saw him hit a girl, but us boys would get a solid rap on the knuckles, if he did not like the way we were holding our hands.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I have friends who own 4 miles of the middle Guadalupe River, and probably own 40,000 acres - the ranch was founded in 1855. I met them when the county took away the right of way for cars to park on county roads that followed or crossed the river. I had fished their crossing since I was 16, and picked up trash off their land every time I went. I drove up to the big basse block house and knocked on the door.
They gave me their card, which I use as a trump card, but I'm invited to fish there and bring friends, drive through their gate and park on their land whenever I want. (We filmed an episode of KT Diaries on endemic Guadalupe bass there).

But that big basse block house, build by his grandfather in 1910 - two story, full overhanging porches and 14' ceilings - is not air conditioned. Other than gasoline engines, telephone and lights, they live and ranch the way their grandfather did.
It's a choice they made on how to raise their kids.

God bless them - and send them rain.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

My life is not much different than when I was growing up, except a microwave, computer, and newer vehicles. I often believe that for each new technology item you acquire, you are giving up simplicity, which, to me, it is what we all should stive for in order to live a stress free life. I sleep 8 hours a night.....easily. I heat with wood, (had an oil burner when I was growing up), still use cash to pay my bills, use old guns, fix everything myself, and do not have a cell phone or credit cards.

I live good on 45K a year. The people who live around me drive Mercedes's, live in 4,000 sq. foot houses, and there's always someone getting a divorce or a sheriff's sale going on. I've been married for 41 years and do not owe anyone a dime.-------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

Pine for the "old times" if you want, but not me. Several weeks of reading with a critical eye and the BS meter turned up will get you about 20 years worth of education about cast bullets.

How many of us would be writing long lettters to each other about shooting, casting, hunting or what ever; folding that sucker up and putting on a stamp it and then waiting 2 weeks for a reply?

Chris
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

You have a valid point...... without this place we would not know each other existed.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My Grandmother was born in 1895. She walked beside a covered wagon from Eastern Kansas to the Oklahoma Panhandle when the Cimmarron Strip (No Man's Land) was forced on Oklahoma and it could be then settled. She married in 1912 and had her first child in 1913. She remembered picking up cow chips to use for campfires while on the trip to the new homestead. The house she and Grandpa built was still being lived in into the 1990s. It never had air conditioning, but with all the trees around, it stayed pretty comfortable. Grandpa and their youngest son, my Dad-born in 1929, wired the house for electricity when it came in with the Rural Electric COOP as part of the outhouse gang in the depression. Funny, but she remembered the Government paying men to dig new holes for outhouses as part of the WPA. Soon after that, they got a telephone and electric lights. My Grandfather was killed in a car wreck in 1958, and my oldest uncle, a WWII vet who was awarded the Silver Star, stayed on and ran the farm and took care of Grandma. About 1979, they finally got rid of the coal fired stove for heat and replaced it with a propane furnace. They had an electric stove since there was not any gas line to the house. My Grandma saw everything from horse and buggy to the space shuttle. She watched Olga Korbut bend over backwards and stand on her head during an Olympics. She got 3 channels on TV, and rarely watched it. She still had her treadle sewing machine that she used to make quilts. She changed to using Fiskars scissors when my Dad bought her a pair for her birthday. She was unimpressed when she first saw them, and she put them in a junk drawer. About 2 quilts later, we were out for Sunday lunch, and she brought out those scissors and asked if Dad could sharpen them back up for her. She had cut through a couple of sewing pins and they were not working as well as they did at first. Somewhere around 1950, they got indoor plumbing and a septic tank.

She flew on a jet once, and didn't like it. She was slow to embrace technology, but it sure made some giant sized leaps during her life. I don't have a touch screen phone, and don't like the way that they act as if I have touched them with my palm when I use a finger. I have to use a stylus or they act up on me. She probably would have been amused by cell phones, but I doubt she would have ever used one even if she were still alive.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Chris83716 wrote:Pine for the "old times" if you want, but not me. Several weeks of reading with a critical eye and the BS meter turned up will get you about 20 years worth of education about cast bullets.

How many of us would be writing long lettters to each other about shooting, casting, hunting or what ever; folding that sucker up and putting on a stamp it and then waiting 2 weeks for a reply?

Chris
Well, you do have a point.......if your a youngster. :D No brag, but whatever I write about, I knew before the internet was invented by Al Gore. How do you suppose I learned what I know.

For real, the only way you learn anything is by doing it.-------6

GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

bulldog1935: Beautiful picture. It looks like a GREAT place to live. Just think of the QUIET 'an just listening to the birds and other animals around. Thanks for sharing :mrgreen:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

Sixgun wrote:
Chris83716 wrote:Pine for the "old times" if you want, but not me. Several weeks of reading with a critical eye and the BS meter turned up will get you about 20 years worth of education about cast bullets.

Chris
Well, you do have a point.......if your a youngster. :D No brag, but whatever I write about, I knew before the internet was invented by Al Gore. How do you suppose I learned what I know.

For real, the only way you learn anything is by doing it.-------6
I can't argue with learning by doing, but I don't need to reinvent the wheel doing it. :). You old fanny burbs are few and far between sometimes on obscure subject matter.

I work with an old man that has forgot more about wire rope and rigging than most of my coworkers will ever know. Best thing that ever happened to me was this guy taking an interest in me and passing on some of his knowledge. To me the internet and a good B.S. filter is just like that old man, or a library full of books on a given subject. Apprentice to Journeyman to Master is still a valid learning system. If I can do a little reading and not be a caveman reinventing the wheel it's fine by me.

Chris
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

On the matter of new technology; both of my grandfathers made it clear to me....the Tractor, propelled by a combustion engine was the one of the most practical inventions of their time. Having plowed the earth as young men using draft animals; they had no desire to return to the "old days"! The washing machine joyfully freed my grandmothers from the drudgery of that chore.

:wink:
Last edited by PaperPatch on Fri May 16, 2014 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

If I didn't have a Smart Phone I would almost never be able to read/post.

That said, in my current job I run 60+ y/o offset printing presses to run up to 40k full color newspapers in a shift ( for a whopping $8/hr)

We can hardly find replacement parts, even with the jig shops giving away their old equipment to switch to Computer Type Set.

But Don't ask me to move back to an urban area. I'll starve first (most likely in this anti-rural/pro Agenda 21 economy).
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

In America, I feel technology topped out in the eighties. By then everyone had what they needed in order to live a productive and a somewhat easy life. Computers were just icing on the cake

By the eighties, the 1911, 1894 Winchesters, and the bolt gun got about as good as they will ever get. A landline phone did its job. Medicine at the time was about all we needed. Vehicles got 150,000 miles on them. People lived until 80.

Yea, there are some exceptions, but they are minor. THe new things in the last 20 years nowhere compared to the internal combustion engine, anti-biotics, or nuclear power.----6

Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

Nitroglycerin. Works good to get your 45 started, or your heart, keep a bottle in your pocket or pack.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I guess the ones that crack me up the most are the people waiting at the bus stop, talking on a cell phone.
What important buisiness are they attending to?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:I guess the ones that crack me up the most are the people waiting at the bus stop, talking on a cell phone.
IIRC, you don't own a cell phone :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

The technology deal in these given times are kind of like a sine wave.
With it's ups comes it's lows.
I mean when you look at YouTube in regards to using it as a resource tool of information and instruction via actual step by step video direction what a wonderful tool. On that same note, there could be times one becomes vulnerable in different ways via the internet that could pose problems.
The vehicles of today are a marvelous thing, the comfort, safety, efficiency etc. are things to behold. However having such technological advantages one does give up the ease of old school trouble shooting and repair of vehicle problems. Course then one could offer that with other improved diagnostic devices these days being even more thorough and at a cost the normal person can just go on Amazon(using his smartphone or laptop)and purchase one might help some. However when I would raise my 66 bronco hood and look at that bare bones uncluttered 170ci straight 6cyl even I could work on compared to a modern Kia well you know the rest.

So all in all its a trade off. One thing gained and maybe something given up.
I plan to ride this fancy way of living life taking one day at a time but always holding some cards knowing if things go south quick I can adapt and live on maybe some smoked venison, canned garden veggies, fish from the creek, firewood, boiled water from the creek with wood, some homemade candles, and going poo in the outhouse. Or in the plain old woods.
got a few new Cannondale bikes I can fix myself with about 3times more extra components for them than I will ever need etc.and get to town and as long as I got my dog and a good women(at times at least)
I am good. Oh nice to see the kid too. She could ride her bike and meet me halfway.
The gun thing got ammo for life and a few simple guns that will never break----so, in a nutshell its all good. deal with what your dealt, make the most out of it----and just simply enjoy life.
The future or the past, you can't have been there till you get there. :wink:
Today verses living in 1914(I will take today thank you very much)
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

No I do not.
I have a broker who would bore me to tears if I did.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

BlaineG wrote:
Mescalero wrote:I guess the ones that crack me up the most are the people waiting at the bus stop, talking on a cell phone.
IIRC, you don't own a cell phone :P
nah, the funniest are always the people walking in the mall talking on their headsets

And here's something you never knew you needed, a bike lock operated by your cell phone
http://pando.com/2014/05/16/velo-labs-c ... wise-move/
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I too, find that amazing. I think it's that most people need to be constantly "connected". I can count the times on my one hand when someone called me from their cell phone, that it was even remotely important.......it was never, never important.

You want to have some fun, take a ride through the bad part of town and you see "people" hanging out on their porch, leaning against a lamp post, walking along, or just sucking from a bottle with a brown bag around it, they all have one thing in common.......a cell phone..............yea, they must be making million dollar deals. :D --------6

bdhold

Post by bdhold »

When I was in west Africa (Cote d'Ivorie) in 2002, virtualy everybody had cell phones. They lived in thatched roof closets and every cell phone was a cottage industry - there was a sign out front 300 francs to use the cell phone. The closets with Nintendos had a line of kids down the street waiting to pay for a game.
That was Abidjan, and it looked and felt like a war zone.
The coast, however, was paradise.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

piller wrote:Funny, but she remembered the Government paying men to dig new holes for outhouses as part of the WPA.
As a kid (when nothing but westerns were on tv) I used to think I was born in the wrong century. But as I aged, I realized just how much I like quilted toilet paper and central air conditioning :D

My grandparents got their first outhouse when the WPA built it for them...the couldn't afford the lumber. I guess they used a chamber pot before then :?
Neither of my grandmothers could drive a motor vehicle, but both could handle a team of horses with the wagon, plow, or log truck.
My mom's mom said she used to work in the field beside GrandDaddy all day and then come home and tend to the house. My Dad has attested many time that she could indeed, handle a buck saw as well as most men (she was 5' 2")

Both sets of Grandparents were born, lived, and died in far NE Texas (Bowie County) I think both grandmothers got to go to Montana to see my sister in their later years.

Up until the early 1980s my Dad's folks ran a butter, egg, and milk route on the way to DeKalb and used the cash to buy sugar, flour, peanut butter, etc.

I have a sinking feeling that, in my lifetime, we will all wish we still had the basic skills they had. Canning, milking, churning, planting, stretching a meal...I don't expect a zombie apocalypse, but it may come in the form of a plague or economic meltdown. :(
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

my grandmother didn't have indoor plumbing until she was 62.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

bulldog1935 wrote:my grandmother didn't have indoor plumbing until she was 62.
You are referring to her residence...I hope
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Todays tech is double edged. My wife carries the phone, I don't. I don't want to be that accessible. I make some of my living by the ancient art of Blacksmithing, yet I'll sell on the internet. I live by doing everything with and old style, for that is me, yet I am the first one to go to YouTube to see how to sharpen this or build that. The instant information is awesome. And it's not just written text but audio and video. I'll bet I got half of a welding class by the time I was done investigating when I wanted to upgrade my welder. What do you want to know? YouTube. I can be working on something, need a part, go in the house and ebay it, order it and have it delivered to my door in a few days. Incredible. :D
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I have no idea what that means.
par for the course, I guess
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

My grandmother & grand father raised my sister and myself from the time I was three months old.
My grandparents were mama & daddy. She and her parents drove a covered wagon from Kentucky.Mama was born January 1897. Mama was the oldest of 11 children and helped raise their family. Her daddy was an 7th Day Adventist preacher by calling, and a farmer to feed family. Neither of her parents ever drove an auto. When in a car & going by his directions he would say to turn here like we were riding horses not a car doing 69 mph! Mama worked in an aircraft plant somewhere during WW2. When any family members were sick they sent for Aunt Mrytis (Mama) to come and nurse them back to health. She worked beside the men in the farm & cotton fields. It even as a kid humbled me to know the tech. she witnessed in her life time. We would talk about it routinely. We moved and got inside toilet in 1950, the year before I started school. She passed away two months shy of 100 years. She was as sharp as a tack until her last year. Only medicines she took was an anacin or aspirin a day for arthritis in her hands. Her high tech toothpaste was salt or salt & baking soda mixed. It must have worked as she only had one wisdom tooth pulled in her middle 90's.
You could not beat Mama enough to go back to the GOOD OLD WAYS!
No one could have had better parents. Respect, I never heard Mama or Daddy say one harsh or profane word to each other, ever. Her parents were the same way with all the kids, grand kids, great grand kids, well you get the picture.

High tech. did not ruin them. Great grand parents concession to tech was to let the kids buy a tv so they could watch the Dallas Cowboys play football when we/most all of the family came every other weekend.
The sleeping technology was wall to wall pallets on the floor in a couple of the bedrooms.

Sorry guys I did not mean to be so long winded or hijack the thread.

busa
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mod71alaska wrote:A wonderful thread, Doc! And all who have posted have contributed to the quality of my day. Thanks to each of you!
Yep - this forum has lots of NICE members and information and perspective.
BlaineG wrote:I sort of mentally roll my eyes when someone mentions Good Old Days vis-a-vis technology....I love all the new stuff.
Me, too.

MY ORIGINAL POST was not so much meant as a praise of 'the good old days', but just as thoughts on how timeless some of our day-to-day activities and concerns are, and how it is too bad my father didn't get some of the benefits/convenience of today's technology. He'd have enjoyed some of it.

OTOH, of course, he'd have HATED some of it, and as a physician, I'll bet he'd have hated the EMR ('electronic medical record') which has perverted and almost destroyed the quality of health care.

Explaining that would require a 100-page 'essay' and need to be in the 'politics' section, so I'll refrain.

Anyway, the bottom line is:
  • 1. I miss my Dad (most of us with deceased Dad's do),
    2. I'll bet my Dad would enjoy having some of the conveniences I enjoy, and
    3. I'll bet my Dad would be just as irritated as me at some of the other ramifications of technology.
game keeper wrote:My old signature line was " Unspoilt by Progress " but as my son pointed out I was typing that out on a computer! :lol:
Ironic, eh...????
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I mentioned Africa - when I was there in 2002, I did not personally own a cell phone, but the company rented a global Orange phone because it was the only way we had to communicate.
I was proud of long I held out without one.
But my last trip to the river, I actually carried mine because I had to talk to the people I was meeting with at lunchtime, and I fielded a second call from my sister.

I like my air conditioner, but I sure respect the choices my rancher friends have made to economize their lives. I don't think they could do it in a modern slab house.

Gadgets are great - my bike-riding buddy has a GPS and heart monitor that stats every ride we make, including how many calories we burn. I kayak and navigate the coastal flats with my charts, compass and binoculars, but when I'm with a guy with a GPS I'm not going to complain.

I don't understand the guys who wear their ipods outside, and I understand less the idiots who bring their boom boxes on their kayaks. On my last Alaska trip, I was done with my power plant turnaround, and my buddy flew up and met me at Anchorage. We headed to Kenai and Cooper Landing. On the drive we stopped at Quartz Creek to get out and stretch. Astounding there was also an idiot with a boom box there (gladly not here - just an example photo)
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

bulldog1935 wrote:
I like my air conditioner, but I sure respect the choices my rancher friends have made to economize their lives. I don't think they could do it in a modern slab house.

I don't understand the guys who wear their ipods outside,
If something happened that the AC didn't work for a long time, few of us now have houses appropriate for passive cooling. No attic fans, low ceilings, no double hung windows... Hope I never have to figure out how to adapt.

I use my iPod or Worktunes earmuffs when mowing, and that's about it. Otherwise I love to hear the birds and other sounds.

My recent west Texas loop through Big Bend area was nice...had no cell signal for a couple of days :D :D Marfa lights must have knocked them out
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

The biggest advantage to the cell phone is I don't have to be in the office to communicate with my clients, which makes my commute a lot more flexible
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

I view the baby boom generation (I am one) as a bridge generation. As has been posted many recall talking to parents or grandparent who lived in a pre machine age. The boomers also will talk to those who may go Mars and have never been in a world without computers. My father died 20 years ago never had his hands on a computer. My son has never been without one.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Mars is a pipe dream. Our planet is protected from cosmic radiation by our magnetic field - it's what makes life possible (that and the binary system created by our exceptionally large moon) and results from the toroidal magnet of our solid iron inner core and molten iron middle core. Mars doesn't have one, nor does a space ship. The last probe to Mars for the first time measured the radiation exposure. A one-way trip exceeds the lifetime permissible radiation dose. We can send robots there, but we can't go.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Marfa Lights :shock: !
Now there is a term I have not heard in years!