3 days in south Louisiana

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

3 days in south Louisiana

Post by crs »

Griff posted 3 days in Minnesota, so is my rejoinder for Louisiana:
Day 1 - 25 sea trout, samples of which the CoCo Marina chef prepared grilled for me for dinner.
Day 2 - my first ever Bull Red, an eighteen pounder and a few trout

Day 3 - five Bull Reds between 21 and 30 pounds and THE BIG ONE GOT AWAY!

WOO HOO - GOING BACK THERE AGAIN FOR SURE!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: 3 days in south Louisiana

Post by Blaine »

Does my heart good to see nice fish in the boat. 8) 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Any day fishin'... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Love ocean (ok "gulf", but it's still SALT Water)!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I gotta do that someday, even if it's by myself. (all my buddies are bigger tightwads than I am, if that's possible)

Only big water I've been on is Lake Erie and off the Kona Coast.

Been waaaayyy too long since I've done any kind of fishing. :(
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Nice pics, mouth is watering jus thinking how they'd taste. Did you have hushpuppies and fried Okra with them?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Vance - unless you know the area to be fished, I recommend you consider chartering a boat with a captain that has years of experience on the bay. Our group of 10 Woods and Waters fishermen stayed at the CoCo marina and chartered three of their boats with captains/guides that grew up on the waters to be fished; we rotated boats and captains daily so we all could fish with each captain. Two were brothers and the sons of a local fishing captain. They Marina had their own private CB channel to discuss where to fish and the captains knew every possible place to try under all circumstances. The marina boats all had dual 250 - 300 hp outboards(500-600 hp per boat) and could cruise at 40 + mph, which allowed them to waste little time going from one fishing area to another. The knew the oil field equipment locations, tidal currents, channels , oyster reefs, the winds, when the water became too "dirty" for trout and only redfish would feed, and lots of great fishing stories.

3 leg - We had a mess of the trout for Mothers Day dinner. My daughter grilled the filets with veggies and herbs in individual foil wrappers and they were great!

We are looking to prepare the redfish steaks a-la Paul Prudhomme style - blackened in a cast iron skillet.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

crs,

I am happy to hear of your trip, and your grand success. :D My father-in-law grew up just North of Cocodrie. His father owned a shrimp boat. Many of their friends & family either fished & shrimped, or worked with those that did. Back in the Nineteen-nineties, my wife & I visited her grandmother, in Chauvin. My wife used to spend Sumers there. The house is just across the street from the Bayou. On this occassion, Mr. Roy Picou was over, and he gave me a tour of his "shrimp factory". The factory was across the Bayou, in Montegut. Mr. Roy made dried shrimp, and shreded, powdered dried shrimp, at his factory. He gave us a few pounds of dried shrimp to take home, along with a nice baggie of powdered shrimp. My dog came along with us, and Mr. Roy got a kick out of watching her eat dried shrimp, when we got back to the house. I got a kick out of watching the dog drink bowl, after bowl of water, when she was done with the shrimp. :D

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Post by peter richards »

CRS
it looks like you are as good with a rod as you are with a 405 Winchester. I had never heard if a Bull Red before, is that where Red Bull comes from.
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

peter richards wrote:CRS
I had never heard if a Bull Red before, is that where Red Bull comes from.
Yes, if you squeeze hard enough....
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Peter,
The redfish (red drum) fall in to two classes as recognized by the folks that live on the gulf coast; the Rat Reds which are less than 10 pounds and are usually not seen in deeper water and the bull reds which live in deeper water and run up to 60 pounds which is the Louisiana state record. That record fish was caught out of the CoCo marina and hangs on the wall of their restuarant.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

making me hungry for seatrout - I hope to get some late next month