Bearcat "Shopkeeper"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Bearcat "Shopkeeper"

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I see Lipseys has another intriguing little distributor exclusive out there. I can't imagine a much better kit gun:

http://www.lipseysguns.com/post/Ruger-B ... 22-LR.aspx
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Bearcat "Shopkeeper"

Post by Blaine »

I love those! (It would be nice if Bearcats would come with a Mag cyl :( )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

BlaineG wrote:

It can happen.............

When Ruger recalled the dual cylinder (LR/WMR) new Model Bearcat, not every owner sent theirs back.

They can be found, but they're pricey ($1K+).

A bud of mine wanted one, sooooooo - since he had a NM BC, I had him send the bbl/frame (only - no clyinder) to the Ruger Service Dept, to be fitted with a replacement ;) cylinder - which soon got itself rechambered to WMR, asap the gun was returned.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:I love those! (It would be nice if Bearcats would come with a Mag cyl :( )
Ab-so****'in-loutley...!

If North American Arms can do it in those tiny revolver-things they make, surely RUGER can manage to pull it off in the much-stouter 'Bearcat'... :roll: Why on earth did they quit doing that, anyway...???
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Agree, Blaine. A .22 WMR Shopkeeper would be the nuts.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Pete44ru wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

It can happen.............

When Ruger recalled the dual cylinder (LR/WMR) new Model Bearcat, not every owner sent theirs back.

They can be found, but they're pricey ($1K+).

A bud of mine wanted one, sooooooo - since he had a NM BC, I had him send the bbl/frame (only - no clyinder) to the Ruger Service Dept, to be fitted with a replacement ;) cylinder - which soon got itself rechambered to WMR, asap the gun was returned.

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Checked out some of the comments on the Shopkeeper on the Rimfire Central Bearcat boards. Seems there can be extraction issues as well as the uneven accuracy of the Bearcat line.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've always like the looks of the Bearcat, but I've always thought that they were too small.

As usual, this is a cute little revolver, and I might think it too small, but with a 3" barrel and a birds-head grip...

Now it's interesting.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

FW, they are small. That's one of the things that makes a Bearcat full of shorts or CB caps so perfect for letting kids shoot their first sixgun.
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

I looked at one and didnt buy it. Seemed like a lot of money for a very little gun. The "cool factor" didnt seem to be working much for me that day. Plus I've got two old model Bearcats that I hardly touch but can't seem to let go.
NRA
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I NEED a Bearcat... Just because they're so handy..

(And Yes, it would magically become a WMR....)
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

With that short barrel people already complain of difficult ejection. The WMR would be impossible to eject with such a short ejector rod.
Lipseys is now introducing a .32Mag. 7 shot on the Single Six frame. That one is going to be popular.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I saw somewhere that someone rechambered a Bearcat into the .327 Federal Magnum. Now that would be the cat's meow! :mrgreen:
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I saw somewhere that someone rechambered a Bearcat into the .327 Federal Magnum. Now that would be the cat's meow! :mrgreen:
IMO, that would be a handful.

Well... maybe a half-handful...

I suppose if one enjoys those dinky .357 Derringer sized things (as a comparison of small guns that talk big), it might be a good revolver option.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I enjoy my regular Bearcat, blued frame. The Shopkeeper is interesting, and I would be tempted to buy one, but IMHO, it has a flaw in design that turns me off, and that is the Crescent ejector rod end. I understand the reason behind it, to gain more travel in the short stroke because of the short barrel, but the darned thing becomes like a fish hook on the end of the barrel and hangs up on everything.

Sure, I guess you can design a proper holster for it, that works, but I still don't like it, and one of the nice things about the standard Bearcat is you can find a pocket to put it in. I carry mine in my motorcycle jacket pocket, because I have to run the gauntlet between a couple of pit bulls that live down the road from me. 3 rounds of birdshot an 3 rounds of ball for back up. So far the birdshot has worked, and I hope I have about got them trained from trying to kill me when I ride by.
NRA Life Member, Patron
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Lastmohecken wrote:I enjoy my regular Bearcat, blued frame. The Shopkeeper is interesting, and I would be tempted to buy one, but IMHO, it has a flaw in design that turns me off, and that is the Crescent ejector rod end. I understand the reason behind it, to gain more travel in the short stroke because of the short barrel, but the darned thing becomes like a fish hook on the end of the barrel and hangs up on everything.

Sure, I guess you can design a proper holster for it, that works, but I still don't like it, and one of the nice things about the standard Bearcat is you can find a pocket to put it in. I carry mine in my motorcycle jacket pocket, because I have to run the gauntlet between a couple of pit bulls that live down the road from me. 3 rounds of birdshot an 3 rounds of ball for back up. So far the birdshot has worked, and I hope I have about got them trained from trying to kill me when I ride by.
Why is the owner not dealing with the city and trying to get his dogs back? I would have called the cops by now.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

piller wrote:
Lastmohecken wrote:I enjoy my regular Bearcat, blued frame. The Shopkeeper is interesting, and I would be tempted to buy one, but IMHO, it has a flaw in design that turns me off, and that is the Crescent ejector rod end. I understand the reason behind it, to gain more travel in the short stroke because of the short barrel, but the darned thing becomes like a fish hook on the end of the barrel and hangs up on everything.

Why is the owner not dealing with the city and trying to get his dogs back? I would have called the cops by now.
Around this side of I-5, if you ain't bit, you might get arrested for shooting at a dog :roll: :roll: :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

They have had the cops called on them before for bad dogs chasing cows, didn't do a lot of good. I tried to talk to them once but they acted like they did not speak English.

I pretty much solved the problem last year, and have not seen the dogs loose when riding my motorcycle this year, but once in a while I see the dogs loose when I drive by there in my pickup on my way to work in the morning. At anyrate, I don't dare ride my motorcycle thru there unless I am prepared.

I live in the rural county area, I don't think there is a lease law in the county.
NRA Life Member, Patron
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

BlaineG wrote:I love those! (It would be nice if Bearcats would come with a Mag cyl :( )

yes, mag cylinder and adjustable sights
cable
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Lastmohecken wrote:They have had the cops called on them before for bad dogs chasing cows, didn't do a lot of good. I tried to talk to them once but they acted like they did not speak English.

I pretty much solved the problem last year, and have not seen the dogs loose when riding my motorcycle this year, but once in a while I see the dogs loose when I drive by there in my pickup on my way to work in the morning. At anyrate, I don't dare ride my motorcycle thru there unless I am prepared.

I live in the rural county area, I don't think there is a lease law in the county.
I understand. If I caught a dog chasing cattle, and that dog did not belong to the owner of the cattle, I would have to bury a dog. I love most dogs, but they are not people. I grew up where there are a lot of cattle, and when a dog chases cattle, it can seriously hurt a rancher's livelihood. If a dog gets into the road and threatens someone who has every right to be there, then I would not be upset if the person would defend himself.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

I had a good friend of about 18years that accidentally killed himself with a bearcat, so naturally the first thing i think of when I read or hear bearcat is my old friend.

Dogs and motorcycles brings back a few memories as well .

Just about everyday for two years the same two dogs would rush out and chase me.

Then one day my buddy got a new motorcycle and the first time we rode by the dogs my buddy ran over one and killed it, about two hrs later we rode by that house again and the remaining dog rushed out and my buddy ran over and killed that one also.

Have had a few not so pleasant experiences with Pit bulls as well.

The last one was just a few years ago. I was at my in-laws house and their dog kept bringing it's leash and dropping it in my lap so finally i gave in and said i was going to take the dog for a walk. I went out thru the garage and noticed a golf club with the head broke off and decided it would make a decent walking stick and picked it up as i went out the door. This area was typical city neighborhood , we had covered a couple blocks when a pit bull came sailing over a fence, I faced the dog, I hollered at it but it ignored me and when it was about three feet from my in-laws dog I hit it as hard as I could with the golf club handle right on the bridge of the nose. It went down and didn't wiggle, I stood there a minute or so watching it blow bloody bubbles but nobody came out of any of the houses so I continued on my way.

----------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You have let that stuff settle into the ethers and let it be carried off. But, very interesting bag of experiences.

Was rear ended by a Suburban because a dog ran out in front of me.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Old Savage wrote:You have let that stuff settle into the ethers and let it be carried off. But, very interesting bag of experiences.

I would say you were rear-ended because of the recless endangermant purpetrated by the following car.

in Wa state any dog running any livestock can be shot dead.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Just the way the traffic runs there.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote:

Dang OS......I sure hope that suburban was greased up real good. Those babies are wide. :D ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

That is a nice little revolver! Like some have said, it would be nice if it came in 22 Mag.

A question for some of you gunsmiths: What work do you have make to the cylinder to make that a reality? How would accuracy be?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

kaschi wrote:That is a nice little revolver! Like some have said, it would be nice if it came in 22 Mag.

A question for some of you gunsmiths: What work do you have make to the cylinder to make that a reality? How would accuracy be?
Not sure if this is a good comparison, but my SingleSix (at the distances I shoot ie less than a hundred yards) I can't tell the difference between the LR, and MAG cyl....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV