Explain it to the Wife

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Explain it to the Wife

Post by Panzercat »

So the road to carry a firearm on my person hasn't always been an easy one with my wife, but she's accepted the fact that I'm doing it for her and the kiddo's safety. Still, there's been a bit of resistance depending on where we go; say, the home depot less than five minutes away. "We're only going to home depot." I would just nod and load up anyway knowing that there's always the thought that I'm going overboard in the back of her mind. I've been trying to figure out a way to address that particular issue with her-- That stuff doesn't care if you're five minutes from home or fifty minutes.

Turns out, stuff did so for me.

We live across the street from a park. Nice park, too. Kids area, water works for said kids, skate park and basket ball courts. Lots of picnic areas. Pretty decent all in all. Well, until Thursday when sombody decided to drop lead instead of three pointers. One dead, one wounded, shooter still on the run. The neighborhood is an older one, but certainly not a bad area to live in. It does, however, illustrate there is no 'just five minutes away,' for any of us, let alone the fifteen seconds it would take to get from my house to the shooting.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Explain it to the Wife

Post by Blaine »

Point, set, and match.... :( I'm sorry it's come to your neighborhood :(
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I found the ultimate way to take care of that issue. Get her to carry. While it's been years, one scare when my wife was out with my eldest was all it took. He was still in diapers. Real quick the "I'm the mommy, don't mess with us" attitude developed. Sometimes I doubt that if she had been alone it would have done the trick. But, as we all know, moms protecting their offspring are the most dangerous thing in the world when threatened.

She's not "into guns". In fact, she's still using the same old Taurus model 85 she's always used. But, I'd sure as heck hate to be on the wrong end of it if she decides to fire.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Glad y'all are alright!! Thanks for the reminder!

I consider these episodes to be life's giving one a lesson with free tuition. Hope your wife
realizes that this has always been and always will be a possibility. These events can erupt
with ZERO warning most anywhere, and for some reason, that is just hard for some folks
to grasp until they are personally affected.

I've seen a couple of other folks get the same lesson and become "aware" without having to
pay for it personally -- in a way, it's a gift.

All the best to you and your wife/kids!
Stay safe,
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've carried since the day I got married, some 49 years ago.

My wife knows I carry, but NOBODY ever sees my CCW (including getting dressed), except a BG.

Out of sight, out of mind - until needed............................

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow, glad your family is ok. As mentioned above, this was a no-pay lesson. Try and get your wife to carry also.

I have carried for over 25 years but I quickly realized I cannot protect my wife when I'm not with her. She was not into guns and wasn't a shooter but the kids were young and that was the easiest way to convince her. The "mama bear" instinct is a powerful force.
My wife has carried every day for the last 15 years. The kids are mostly grown and gone but she'd never be without a gun now. She has two handguns but carries a 442 Smith and it's her favorite. She also carries a small pepper spray, a Surefire, and a Spyderco folder.

Don't mess with my wife.........I don't. :lol:
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.