Cougars Everywhere

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Cougars Everywhere

Post by daisygordoninc »

I live in Western Oregon and we are having more and more problems with cougars, primarily because we cannot hunt them with dogs. They are increasing dramatically, I know this is also occurring in other states. Is there anyone who knows what
the Game Commission in Oregon or other states are doing about this. They are taking a major toll on blacktail deer here in
Western Oregon. A cougar was killed in Portland in a residential area this past week, they are now seen in the city limits of Eugene and Springfield. A farmer who lives just west of here had his horse attacked, and he called the Game Commission, and of course they did not want him to kill the cougar. Anyone doing research into this situation?

Gordon
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Cougars Everywhere

Post by shooter »

I know they are not as plentiful here, but in TX a cougar is considered a non game animal and there is no season or bag limit. They can be shot on site any time of the year. Texas Parks and Wildlife does request you call and report if you see one or kill one, but that isn't a requirement. We don't have the problems here that it seems a lot of the western states are having. Then again, that may be partly because the population isn't as numerous as other places, but there seem to be plenty of them in the state.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I live just minutes from where that one was caught in Portland. Just wait until the wolves start showing up in Portland or someones kid gets eaten and we will see what the huggers do then. The Deer and Elk are being decimated in the entire northwest. :x
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

What Shooter said + they are considered varmints here to be shot on sight. Problem is, they are not often seen when the hunter is prepared to shoot them.
An acquaintance of mine calls them in with varmint calls with good success once he determines their territory - most likely females (maybe that helps control the population). :wink:
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Big problem for south central N.M.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

We have had six sightings at my place, over the years. I have always read that a lion eats about one deer per week, and with the Texas deer population estimated at about 4,000,000, I think there are plenty of deer to go around. While I have seen three lions in my life, I think most folks here will never see one, much less be ready to shoot one when they do. We have not ever lost a calf to one to my knowledge, but lost a big steer to a snake recently. I think they are cool, and would not shoot one unless we or the neighbors started loosing calves.
My cousin who is an avid varmint hunter in our area, and uses a lot of calls, has never seen one.
Last edited by octagon on Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I came back to Phx. at the start of the winter last year, by the time I left; the ranch had lost 12 calves to bear and mountain lion.
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

daisygordoninc wrote:I live in Western Oregon and we are having more and more problems with cougars, primarily because we cannot hunt them with dogs. They are increasing dramatically, I know this is also occurring in other states. Is there anyone who knows what
the Game Commission in Oregon or other states are doing about this. They are taking a major toll on blacktail deer here in
Western Oregon. A cougar was killed in Portland in a residential area this past week, they are now seen in the city limits of Eugene and Springfield. A farmer who lives just west of here had his horse attacked, and he called the Game Commission, and of course they did not want him to kill the cougar. Anyone doing research into this situation?

Gordon
Yea, that one, then in the last couple weeks there have been two more killed by cars one on hwy 26 by Boring, and another somewhere by St.Hellens. And it wasn't to long ago earlier this year I recall one being struck by a vehicle on I-5 up by Castle Rock area some where. I don't recall lions being hit by cars in the past. There numbers have to be reaching a breaking point that cant sustain to drive them into the cities and hyw's. Seems they've pulled a few bears out of the trees in the city here recently also. Time to repeal that stupid measure from '94.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Around here you see 'em sometimes at the opera, theater, and sometimes at church bingo games.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Doc,
Not the same species.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

AJMD429 wrote:Around here you see 'em sometimes at the opera, theater, and sometimes at church bingo games.
Got one of those roamin' my house :)
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

I believe you can shoot them here too - fur bearing predator, like a coyote. I believe "fur bearing" is to distinguish from birds of prey, just in case some idiot wanted to shoot an eagle.

I see one around here now and then, but not what I would call often. There was one sighted several times in town a couple years ago - I'm surprised it didn't get shot.

EDIT: The 4 legged kind of course. I'm too old to be prey for the 2 legged ones - and I believe I'm pretty young as things go around here :mrgreen:
Last edited by 92&94 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

You should see the ones at the bar I work in part time, I feel like a piece of veal. We've also been seeing a lot more sign of the four legged ones up here in northern Mn.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Having spent a great part of my life in the remote mountains of Utah, Idaho and Wyoming, I have probably seen more cougars than most folks ever will.. As a cowboy, hunter, guide and outfitter I learned to keep my eyes peeled for anything out of the ordinary.. That has been a big help.. Still, many of my sightings came rather unexpectedly, in the form of what almost appeared to be a cloud of heavy dust, crossing a road or trail.. The big cats are amazingly fast, and can appear and disappear in a heartbeat, even over what looks like a pretty fair distance..

I long ago lost count of how many I've seen.. In much of their natural habitat, they are nearly impossible to spot, unless they move.. I have had several just vanish into thin air, as it were, even as I watched them.. One just 'dissolved' into a patch of dry wheat grass, as I glassed him from about 140 yards with 10X binoculars.. I've hunted them, with and without dogs, when they had been taking calves from ranchers..

There is a pair (or more) of lions living in some cave dens on the banks of the Shoshone River at the north edge of Cody, and I have watched them prowl the mountainside above the house on Sheep Mountain..

Wyoming regards lions as Trophy Game animals, with strictly limited quotas and a license required to hunt or run them..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Buck Elliott wrote:Wyoming regards lions as Trophy Game animals, with strictly limited quotas and a license required to hunt or run them..
Indeed, they are trophies, great ones. But are they regarded as trophy game everywhere in the state or just around the fringe country of Yellowstone/JH?
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I'm thinking that the cougar is keeping the deer population quite low here in Central Oregon. Since we (us dumb Oregonians) outlawed hunting them with dogs the population has increased considerably. And we have enough elk to sustain a high cougar population, so they keep their preferred prey (deer) from increasing.

Couple of weeks ago on the ranch where I am cutting trees there were fresh remains of a young bull elk, antlers early in velvet but developing a small branch, obviously cougar killed. Too dry to see much for tracks but from the small amount of crushed sage brush and limited blood pool, he didn't move a whole lot after he went down. I would have loved to watch that take-down!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Mescalero wrote:Doc,
Not the same species.
Not sure which is more dangerous...

Cougars got Tooth and Claw... but sometimes they have Lawyers.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

daisygordoninc wrote:I live in Western Oregon and we are having more and more problems with cougars, primarily because we cannot hunt them with dogs. They are increasing dramatically, I know this is also occurring in other states. Is there anyone who knows what

Gordon
Count yourself lucky that you can hunt them at all. Hunting has been banned here for years. Result, way too many cats, and more than a handful of dead people. Imagine that, the folks that pushed hardest to ban hunting claimed the cats didn't attack people. Well, the cats have multiplied and proven them wrong.

Then again, some PETA idiot on last nights news claimed the increase in great white shark sightings in Santa Monica bay was due to fishing. The sharks won't go away until all fishing worldwide is banned.

Now here's the best part. Santa Monica bay is and has been, for as long as the real scientist can figure out, the pupping grounds for the great whites. That's right the birth their young here. Heck, there are likely hundreds of great whites in the bay at any given time. In fact, if you go for a swim, or even just wading into the waves, you are likely very close to a great white. The young great whites live in the surf zone where the smaller fish are. As they grow, they move further off shore where the bigger fish are. Eventually as adults they roam the oceans at will, but if pupped here, they will return to give birth.

And the most amazing thing, is that the local media accepted PETA's version without checking the facts. Oh wait, that isn't surprising at all.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

BrentD wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:Around here you see 'em sometimes at the opera, theater, and sometimes at church bingo games.
Got one of those roamin' my house :)
I married one! No complaints here.