What movie was it....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

What movie was it....

Post by FatJackDurham »

What movie was it where a cowboy or gambler is sort of the side kick, but he is nearsighted and can't shoot straight, so he gets a sawed off shotgun? I just watched El Dorado and they made a reference to it by saying the former owner couldn't see to well and shot the piano player and got hung. I am trying to remember what the actual movie with that character in it was.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: What movie was it....

Post by Buck Elliott »

Made the same kind of reference in Paul Hogan's "Lightning Jack.."
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

In "Unforgiven" Clint Eastwood plays the aging, and now nearsighted, gunslinger who in one scene gets so disgusted with is inability to hit a tin can with his sixgun (actually a Starr 1858 Army one of the first true DA revolvers) that he resorts to a shotgun (cut down W. Richards 10ga Double)...

However, by the end of the film he is using a Scholfield as well as the Richards...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Neil Casper
Levergunner

Post by Neil Casper »

Bruce Cabot as "Sam Sharpnose" was John Wayne's partner in Big Jake. But he used one of Duke's Greeners.

James Caan as "Mississippi" was The Duke's partner in El Dorado. Duke took him to a gunsmith he knew that had the sawed off.

But I'll bet the one your thinking of is the one that I just can't quite remember.
neil
If it doesn't fit in my sea bag, I'm not going!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

There is another John Wayne movie called Rio Bravo that has a similar plot. El Dorado is the one where Mississippi, played by James Can has the sawed off shotgun.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Old Ironsides said:
In "Unforgiven" Clint Eastwood plays the aging, and now nearsighted, gunslinger who in one scene gets so disgusted with is inability to hit a tin can with his sixgun (actually a Starr 1858 Army one of the first true DA revolvers) that he resorts to a shotgun (cut down W. Richards 10ga Double)...
I believe that Clint wasn't nearsighted but a young so called "gun slinger" who wore glasses that he picked up was the one you're referring to. The kid lost his glasses and couldn't see without 'em but managed to kill someone anyway. He then got drunk and sick afterwards and then left Clint before the big climax.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Neil Casper
Levergunner

Post by Neil Casper »

Rio Bravo, that's the one I couldn't remember. It had Dean Martin, Angie Dickinson, and Ricky Nelson as Duke's main co-stars. Walter Brennan was the jailer with the shotgun and the bad eyes.

I've seen these movies so many times that I don't even watch them anymore, well, maybe sometimes.
neil
If it doesn't fit in my sea bag, I'm not going!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Brennan's had the butt stock sort of rounded off at the back of the pistol grip. But it had full length barrels.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

In Unforgiven, Clint wasn't nearsighted, just VERY out of practice. I'd heard the shotgun was a Colt. All the 'main' guns except the kid's (who was nearsighted) Schofield I believe, were actual originals (The Starr, Spencer and shotgun) which led to a resurgence of interest in them and the current availability of copies.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Don't think there was an actual movie with the guy who previously owned the gun. That was just a story in Eldorado. James Mitchum shot a guy who ran from behind a piano in El Dorado.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Rio Bravo and El Dorado appear to be almost the same movie with different actors except Wayne.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Old Savage, you are correct sir. Rio Bravo was made in 1959 and El Dorado in 1967? Basically the same loose plot with different actors. While both were good movies I like Rio Bravo best because of Dean and Ricky being in it.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

UncleBuck wrote:Old Savage, you are correct sir. Rio Bravo was made in 1959 and El Dorado in 1967? Basically the same loose plot with different actors. While both were good movies I like Rio Bravo best because of Dean and Ricky being in it.
+ 1
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Rio Bravo was just on TCM the other night. Fun flick!

And I love the young Angie Dickinson in lingerie..... 8) :lol:

-Stretch
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

UncleBuck wrote:... Basically the same loose plot with different actors. ...
Yojimbo (1961), Fist Full of Dollars (1964), Last Man Standing (1996).

All 3 movies are the same plot, just in different Milieus.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If there were really a movie that the shotgun from El Dorado starred in, then I want to see it. I liked both Rio Bravo and El Dorado. Both had a drunk lawman, both had a young sidekick, both had an older grump who was useful, and both had John Wayne. What I liked about El Dorado was that it had both Lucas Mccain and Johnny Mccain, or at least the actors who portrayed them, in it. It was sort of funny to see them on opposite sides of a dispute which The Rifleman would have been on the other side from which the character of Nils McCloud was on.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

UncleBuck wrote:Old Ironsides said:
I believe that Clint wasn't nearsighted but a young so called "gun slinger" who wore glasses that he picked up was the one you're referring to. The kid lost his glasses and couldn't see without 'em but managed to kill someone anyway. He then got drunk and sick afterwards and then left Clint before the big climax.
Um... no. The scene in question was actually one that played as a Trailer for a good bit. At that point he hadn't met the Scholfield Kid yet.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I couldn't find Chuck Connors in the cast list for "El Dorado". I looked because I couldn't remember him in the movie but it has been years. The movie had a famous cast though.