Rebarrel a Savage 99C to 338 Federal

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
tammons
Levergunner

Rebarrel a Savage 99C to 338 Federal

Post by tammons »

Exactly what does it take to rebarrel a 99C in 308 to 338 fed ? Cost and who can do the work time etc.

In a web search I saw the mention of 99 prefit barrels, but I can find none now.

If its not that much more, I would prefer to rebarrel it opposed to rebore.
H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Rebarrel a Savage 99C to 338 Federal

Post by H_Talon »

tammons wrote:Exactly what does it take to rebarrel a 99C in 308 to 338 fed ? Cost and who can do the work time etc.

In a web search I saw the mention of 99 prefit barrels, but I can find none now.

I had 2 99's rebarreled...
a 99c 308 to 358win, and a 99f to 7mm-08 they were done
by Mazys in AZ ,,,, I think there site is mazys.com ...

they both shoot sub moa @ 100yds ...

keep us 99'ers in the loop, would love to see the result.
tammons
Levergunner

Post by tammons »

Will do.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

tammons wrote:
Exactly what does it take to rebarrel a 99C in 308 to 338 fed ? Cost and who can do the work time etc.

AFAIK:

A rebore will cost $245 @ http://www.35caliber.com - and a rebore/rerifling is all that should be needed.

A re-barrel job will cost around $250 or more just for the barrel, plus gunsmith fitting charges for fitting the "prefit" bbl & adjusting it (and the chamber) for proper headspace - about an additional $200, +/-.

If the new barrel needs threading & chambering, the cost would be commensurately higher.

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I was going to do that do a 99 in 308 that I picked up at a good price. But then I started shooting it and it shot so good that could not pull the barrel off. You might check with Jes at 35cal dot com and see if he rebores to 338.
tammons
Levergunner

Post by tammons »

338 fed is on his list. I gave him a call and left a message.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

A 99 in .338 Federal would make a fine elk rifle to 250 yards.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

tammons wrote:338 fed is on his list. I gave him a call and left a message.
Don't hold your breath - The last I heard was that Jes is so busy, that if he returned every message left for him by (mostly) fence-sitters, that he wouldn't have any time left to earn his money.

If you want it done, take the wood off your Savage & mail/ship it to him (legal under Federal Law, no FFL req'd) with a check or MO for the price of the job (on his website).

He's very reliable, and will ship the converted gun directly back to it's owner. (Also legal under Federal Law, no FFL req'd)

Also, he has a decent turn-around time.

tammons
Levergunner

Post by tammons »

I talked to him today and he said no problem and it would take about a week.

Very nice guy, but this is a new rifle to me I just picked up today and its so nice
I am very hesitant about reboring the barrel.

I told him I better send it now before I shoot it, because if I do I probably wont go through with it.
Out of 10 I would say its a 9.6 - 9.8 with an odd adjustable scope mount I have never seen before with a non adjustable 2.5-8x Bausch and Lomb Scope.

Has a Gold trigger.

Dont know these 99C rifles at all since this is my first one, so not sure what to do except it is very nice as-is.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I no longer own any 99's but a pair of them in 260 REM and 338 Federal would be rather handy I think or atleast for the hunting I do !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
tammons
Levergunner

Post by tammons »

I am just about finished with a M96 Mauser in 6.5x55 swede so I have 6.5mm covered.

I was going to go the custom build route, but I found a M96 already D+T with a bent bolt with rings in a crappy sporter stock with a cheap scope for a reasonable price so went that route. Putting it in a Boyds stock, pillar bedded, different scope, trigger etc. Its basically an all numbers matching gun but missing the stock and bottom metal.

Also building a 9.3x62 Mauser and almost finished with that one, but at heart I am a 338 anything nut.
About 5-6 years ago I started hunting with a 338-284 19" barreled bolt gun and have seen the sledge hammer effect over 30 caliber.

I actually bought an lite hunter AR10 in 338 fed about 2 months ago, but decided I didnt really like it so sold it with the intention of buying a 99 to rebore to 338 fed.

As is Its almost hunting season so I have decided to use it as-is in 308 form and will be loading it with 135 gr Cutting edge copper raptor bullets. I have used Raptor bullets in 6.8 SPC and they are also real slice and dice sledgehammers but very expensive.

If I send the 99 off to be 338 federalized it will be next March most likely.

I finally got that confounded Baush and Lomb/Kuharsky Brothers adjustable scope mount off. With it was a B+L 2.5-8x non adjustable scope.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

tammons wrote:I am just about finished with a M96 Mauser in 6.5x55 swede so I have 6.5mm covered.

I was going to go the custom build route, but I found a M96 already D+T with a bent bolt with rings in a crappy sporter stock with a cheap scope for a reasonable price so went that route. Putting it in a Boyds stock, pillar bedded, different scope, trigger etc. Its basically an all numbers matching gun but missing the stock and bottom metal.

Also building a 9.3x62 Mauser and almost finished with that one, but at heart I am a 338 anything nut.
About 5-6 years ago I started hunting with a 338-284 19" barreled bolt gun and have seen the sledge hammer effect over 30 caliber.

I actually bought an lite hunter AR10 in 338 fed about 2 months ago, but decided I didnt really like it so sold it with the intention of buying a 99 to rebore to 338 fed.

As is Its almost hunting season so I have decided to use it as-is in 308 form and will be loading it with 135 gr Cutting edge copper raptor bullets. I have used Raptor bullets in 6.8 SPC and they are also real slice and dice sledgehammers but very expensive.

If I send the 99 off to be 338 federalized it will be next March most likely.

I finally got that confounded Baush and Lomb/Kuharsky Brothers adjustable scope mount off. With it was a B+L 2.5-8x non adjustable scope.
I have a 6.5x55 , a 6.5-06 and a 264 Win Mag but I still wouldn't mind replacing the 260 I sold a year or so ago . But if I do one it'll be a 700 action with a stainless Shilen barrel .

I have a few of the old B&L scopes with external adjustments . They are a female dog sometimes to get adjusted correctly . And the old fellow in NY that still has some parts for them is kinda slow . Although when I got parts from him over a year ago he told me he was 90+ so he might not be with us anylonger .
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

tammons wrote:
Out of 10 I would say its a 9.6 - 9.8 with an odd adjustable scope mount I have never seen before with a non adjustable 2.5-8x Bausch and Lomb Scope.

That adjustable QD scope mount is most likely a B&L, and should have tapered cones in the front mount base for windage adjustments, and an eccentric (off-center) set of cones in the rear mount base for adjusting elevation.

Many removed the scope for transport via simply grabbing the mounted scope in the middle & pulling it to disengage the spring-loaded plunger holding the rings to the base.

Because the W/E adjustments are in the bases, the scope would always return to zero after it was replaced.

The BalVar 8 scopes were pretty good quality, and preferred, by knowledgeable hunters with deep enough pockets, for their resistance to moisture damage (sad to say, fairly common in the scopes of the 1960's & 70's).

IMHO, you have a premier setup, there.

tammons
Levergunner

Post by tammons »

Its definitely a Kuharsky mount probably made for B+L I am guessing but dont know much about these rifles except what I have read. I read how much these setups cost back in the day and very expensive.