Henry 45/70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Henry 45/70

Post by foxtrapper »

Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Henry 45/70

Post by Griff »

Another good write-up.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Do I need one. Nope.

But I definitely want one.

Post by JohndeFresno »

The Quinns and crew do a number of excellent writeups, with slick videos, on their site.

Just "subscribed" again to keep 'em encouraged.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I know that many will miss the "traditional" loading gate, but I like the fact that Henry Repeating Arms is doing it a little different by loading through the magazine tube (probably makes the receiver that much stronger)...I saw one in .30WCF at my LGS and really like the way it was put together...very nice... :)
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

How is the fit and finish of the action? What Henrys I have seen have been poorly fitted, really low-end craftsmanship. But I have only see a few and quite a while ago at that.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have looked at several, the fit and finish of the ones I saw was excellent as was the quality of the stock and for end.....I could live with the tube loading but don't like it.
The deal breaker for Me is the front sight/mag tube holder . it looks just like the setup I had on a Crossman pellet rifle I had about 45 years ago. :shock: . not for Me.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BrentD wrote:How is the fit and finish of the action? What Henrys I have seen have been poorly fitted, really low-end craftsmanship. But I have only see a few and quite a while ago at that.
The two Henry .30-30s I fondled and shot last year were both excellent.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

I'll have to check them out. The tube feed doesn't bother me. Actually, might like it.
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
I have a Henry .30-30, .45-70, BB .44 Mag, .44-40 BTH... All very nice and shoot well...
Great wood, good finish, etc...
Oh, one other minor little thing: MADE IN AMERICA.,.......

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Made in America is great - if it is made well. I don't take the USA made as an reason to accept poor work. What I saw in .22 Henrys years ago did not make the cut. Most - make that all - of my cartridge rifles are made in America, and extremely well made. All but two of them, an Axtell and a Shiloh, are older than me, and those two had to be remade to be up to snuff.

Like I said, I haven't looked at recent Henrys so I guess they mended their ways. Good to know.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I realize a good many folks here do not look at guns the same way I do !

But the Henry guns while they may be great shooters if a person likes them , their resale value isn't to good .

I've sold a good many of them new and have resold or sold some used ones . And every one of the used ones we had in the shop looked brand spanking new . But when I finally sold them for the people I rarely got 60% of what they paid when they bought them new .

I'd rather buy a used Marlin , a nice old Marlin or a nice OLD Winchester . And with any amount of taking care of them you "should" have a gun that will increase in value rather then decrease . Provided you don't beat it up while you have it .

Practical can be in many ways , I just think it's more practical to buy with later resale in mind just in case it comes to that or you loose intrest in said firearm .

When I first started pairing my Marlin collection back in 2009 I had any number of guns that were LNIB fired maybe 10-40 times but all were no longer made but perhaps no more then 5 years old . I sold 95% of them above what I paid for them . Granted I may have caught the market at just the right time . But the first batch I sold I had about $11,000 invested and when I was done I had recouped a little over double my investment .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I'd buy one in .30-30, but they're overly heavy for their size (compared to Winchesters and Marlins) and the loading tube thing, MOST ESPECIALLY in a .45-70 intended for dangerous game.......is just dumb.

The front-loading was such a good idea that six years after the first levergun was introduced 154 years ago, it went away....and was replaced with the loading gate.

Going backwards in time in that particular case is just not smart.

No loading gate on a lever? Not buying it. One of the few 'pros' of a lever is the ability to top off the magazine as you go. While I tend to prefer bolt actions due to my past, the shoot one-load one option is always nice to have in a lever gun.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

MrMurphy wrote:
The front-loading was such a good idea that six years after the first levergun was introduced 154 years ago, it went away....and was replaced with the loading gate.

This keeps my Henry ownership to the .22's ----- and i enjoy my Henry .22 a helluva lot ! --- It gets a lot more mileage than some of my trendier and more accurate .22s thats for sure
----- Doug
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

I love my henry .22 i bought about two years ago, very slick action and accurate right out of the box.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot