Removing copper fouling UPDATE

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Removing copper fouling UPDATE

Post by hondo1892 »

Hey guys. Whats the best solvent out there to remove copper fouling? I noticed that my 94 has much more copper fouling than I thought. Could be why it's not shooting cast so well. Looks like I'm going to be sending some time giving the bore a good scrubbing.

I could only find some Hoppe's foam cleaner today. Bought a can and foamed my barrel four times. Scrubbed with a bronze brush, wiped with patches and repeated. I removed a lot of copper but there is still more in the barrel. I can't tell if its fouling or some pitting but I can see dark spots through out the barrel. I've never had one this fouled before. Does bad copper fouling leave dark looking spots in the barrel. I know lead does.
Last edited by hondo1892 on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Removing copper fouling

Post by TedH »

Sweets is good, as is the stuff that Barnes makes. Both contain a lot of ammonia, so you don't want to leave it in the bore for a long time, but it does a great job getting the copper dissolved.
NRA Life Member
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I use 50% Kroil & Hoppes, apply with a bore mop and let it soak. Repeat as many times as necessary till no more fouling appears on a patched jag. I let it soak over night, then clean out with a patch and repeat.
My 1894 Krag , I thought it would never be clean from the 100 years or so of fouling. It took a long time to get there. It now shoots lead very well.

I prefer not to use aggressive methods on neglected bores.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I've used most of the major brands but I have found the best by far is Safariland's Break Free foaming cleaner. You just lay the rifle in a horizontal position and insert the plastic tube in the chamber and press the button until the foam comes out of the muzzle, wait a half hour and then run a rod and patch down the bore to clean it all out.

With my extremely accurate rifles that use hi-velocity jacketed bullets such as my .257 Roberts, a match grade Colt AR, M1-A National Match and a 1950's Garand National Match all get the treatment EVERYTIME I shoot them, not like some guys who do it every several times. You don't want the copper fouling to build up. These guns will bust clay birds on the bank near every shot at 500 meters, except the Garand because it does not wear glass.------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Thanks guys. Six I've heard of the foaming cleaner but never knew anyone who used it. I will check it out.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

That foaming cleaner sounds like a great product...!!
Being more "old school" myself, I still haven't used up the bottle of Sweet's I have on the shelf.
Sweet's and Patience has worked REAL WELL for me for a long time.
One day, I'll give the newer products a try too.
As an aside....I always remove every possible trace of copper fouling from a bbl. before transitioning to cast loads. Is that something most here are doing..????
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Wipe-Out liquid or quick acting foam. The best!

I am currently mobile; but you should be able to search and bring up my test at this site, complete with photos. It is all I stock for barrel cleaning, now.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Here's another vote for the foaming bore cleaners. I have several different brands of those ammonia things sitting on the shelf, but haven't had a bottle of ammonia stuff open since I tried the foaming bore cleaners about 5 years ago. The only way to go!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I'm home now...
Here is the link to my experiment with Wipe-Out:
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=34951
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I have always used Sweets 7.62, because that is what the army taught me. I'll have to try the foamy stuff.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

7.62 Precision wrote:I have always used Sweets 7.62, because that is what the army taught me. I'll have to try the foamy stuff.
7.62, I looked up customer reviews at the Midway site for the Sweets 7.62 and found this, among many kudos, from a "Registered User":

2.0 stars ("Not so hot" By Rick from Lakewood, CO., Site Member)
"I have used several similar products and none of them compare to Sharp Shooters Wipe out foam product. The Sharp product works very well and hands down get the most copper out of the barrel. It does not stink and it will not harm the barrel. The Sweets will have to sit on the shelf for awhile."
Bottom Line No, I would not recommend this this."

It would be interesting to see what you come up with, if you decide to try Wipe-Out, since it seems that you go through a lot of firearms testing. My view, as stated, is that there is literally nothing better out there. And as stated by another Midway user, the Wipe-Out product doesn't stink; my wife with her sensitive sniffer doesn't even object when I clean the guns indoors.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Removing copper fouling UPDATE

Post by Merle »

hondo1892 wrote:Hey guys. Whats the best solvent out there to remove copper fouling? I noticed that my 94 has much more copper fouling than I thought. Could be why it's not shooting cast so well. Looks like I'm going to be sending some time giving the bore a good scrubbing.

I could only find some Hoppe's foam cleaner today. Bought a can and foamed my barrel four times. Scrubbed with a bronze brush, wiped with patches and repeated. I removed a lot of copper but there is still more in the barrel. I can't tell if its fouling or some pitting but I can see dark spots through out the barrel. I've never had one this fouled before. Does bad copper fouling leave dark looking spots in the barrel. I know lead does.

Stop scrubbing with a brass/bronze brush; that will leave traces behind & you'll never get it clean. Spray the foam, the push out the residue with a patch.
Merle from PA
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

guido4198 wrote:That foaming cleaner sounds like a great product...!!
Being more "old school" myself, I still haven't used up the bottle of Sweet's I have on the shelf.
Sweet's and Patience has worked REAL WELL for me for a long time.
One day, I'll give the newer products a try too.
As an aside....I always remove every possible trace of copper fouling from a bbl. before transitioning to cast loads. Is that something most here are doing..????

Yep, just be sure not to leave the Sweets in to long, as it can be tough on the bore.
Merle from PA
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

JohndeFresno wrote: It would be interesting to see what you come up with, if you decide to try Wipe-Out, since it seems that you go through a lot of firearms testing. My view, as stated, is that there is literally nothing better out there. And as stated by another Midway user, the Wipe-Out product doesn't stink; my wife with her sensitive sniffer doesn't even object when I clean the guns indoors.
Well, I am not usually the first to run out and buy every new wonder cleaner or lube. I am rarely very impressed.

On the other hand, while the Sweets works really well, it is nasty stuff that you have to be careful with. As technology improves, we have to expect someone to have a better idea. Plus, on this forum I find people who actually shoot, so I take recommendations more seriously here than on some of the AR-15 type forums . . .