Political Rant

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Political Rant

Post by Rusty »

I hear a guy on the radio that has taken it upon himself to make it his personal gripe to complain about Senators Obama, McCain and Clinton taking money from the Gov't to represent the citizens in Washington and they aren't doing it. They're all three running around the country trying to get elected as President so they're taking money for a job they aren't doing. I have a better idea. Lets take the rest of the 535 members of congress and the remaining 49 members of the senate and double their salaries if they stay out of Washington all together. Just look at how much money we'd save then. The representatives are like a bunch of delinquent kids. when one is alone they can play some pretty bad tricks from time to time but it really doesn't amount to much, but get a few of them together and the damage they can do is multiplied far in advance of their singular sum. I doubt Albert Einstein could write an equation to show that on paper.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have a better idea. Don't pay 'em and they'll get mad and quit.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:lol: :lol: Both ideas have merit. I remind all my elected representatives in each note, letter or email they receive from me that they should remember they're under NO oblilgation to DO ANYTHING during their term. And, they should remind thei collegues of the same.

What gets me is that my wife receives b-day & Xmas cards from Laura Bush, and she won't tell me why! :shock: :)
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Better Laura Bush than Hillary Clinton.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Better than you having to explain why Laura Bush remembers YOUR special ocassions!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I was raised in Kansas, and the joke was that we were afraid that Bob Dole would quit running for president after all of his losses, go to Washington D.C. and become a politician.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Political Rant

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

Rusty wrote:...Lets take the rest of the 535 members of congress and the remaining 49 members of the senate...
Huh?

The United States House of Representatives is made up of 435 members, and the United States Senate is made up of 100 members. Subtracting out the three U.S. Senators who are running for President leaves 97 Senators, and still leaves 435 members of the House of Representatives, so Congress, in total, has left 532 members.
"A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people"
-The Declaration of Independence
Hobie

Re: Political Rant

Post by Hobie »

ursavus.elemensis wrote:
Rusty wrote:...Lets take the rest of the 535 members of congress and the remaining 49 members of the senate...
Huh?

The United States House of Representatives is made up of 435 members, and the United States Senate is made up of 100 members. Subtracting out the three U.S. Senators who are running for President leaves 97 Senators, and still leaves 435 members of the House of Representatives, so Congress, in total, has left 532 members.
If we were all good at math some of us might realize we couldn't afford all the guns we have... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Most of the members of Congress - and pretty much all the Senators - are independently wealthy. They don't do the job for money - they do it for the power. Sure, there is an occasional one, through history, that actually believes in America and our beloved Constitution, but they are indeed few and far between. Most, whether on the left (especially) or right, feel it is their "duty" to enact laws as if they wrote the Constitution or should have. Arrogance seems to be the common denominator for all of them...
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Does the President of the Senate count as a member of Congess?

That would be the VP of the U.S.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

FWiedner wrote:Does the President of the Senate count as a member of Congess?

That would be the VP of the U.S.

:)
Yes and no. Typically the "head count" given for Congress is 535 voting members - as noted by UE, 100 Senators and 435 Representatives. The VP, in his role as President of the Senate, only votes to break ties. The non-voting members from DC and Puerto Rico, as well as other U.S. possessions, are also not typically counted.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:Better Laura Bush than Hillary Clinton.
THAT's not even funny! :shock:
Hobie wrote:Better than you having to explain why Laura Bush remembers YOUR special ocassions!
Now, THAT was funny! :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Arrogance seems to be the common denominator for all of them...
Arrogant politicians and Apathetic voters are proving a disasterous mix these past hundred years... :cry:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I always kinda wondered why nobody ever asks a campaining politician why they should support them when they arent even doing the job they already have.

In this day & age theres no need for campaigning anyway. Its a waste in many ways. We know who they are, they should just go about their buisness & be judged on that, instead they ignore buisness & expect to be judged on words rather than actions. The sad part is it works.