another 300 BLK question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

another 300 BLK question

Post by Grizz »

Does anyone have a favorite home defense, car defense, close engagement load ?

I was thinking about the 220 gr OTM subsonic load until I saw the video of it penetrating 30 some inches of ballistic gel. Good for the olie olie ochbars when they're stacked, but not so much for the bedroom to kitchen jobs.

I would have thought that 900+ fps would have been like unto shooting 45s, but nooooooo . . .
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Re: another 300 BLK question

Post by Thunder50 »

Not really, but I would think the 110gr vmax or the 125gr speer tnt would work well. Another possiblity might be 100gr bullets for the 32-20, but don't know about feeding and the extra .003" bullet diameter might raise pressures to quickly. Same with bullets designed for the 32mag. I suspect all of these would open up rather quickly.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Thunder50 wrote:Another possiblity might be 100gr bullets for the 32-20, but don't know about feeding and the extra .003" bullet diameter might raise pressures to quickly. Same with bullets designed for the 32mag. I suspect all of these would open up rather quickly.
That sounds interesting though...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I did the subsonic thing with a 308 shooting 220 grain Outlaw State bullets and expansion wasn't that great . However accuracy was way better then I anticipated and they actually do kill fairly well on whitetails inside 100 yards .

Now regardless of whether it's a 300 BLK or a 308 WIN a 220 grainer from either going 950-975 FPS is subsonic and should have pretty much the same kinetic energy . With that being said I shot one whitetail thru the head coming straight towards me . The bullet entered between the eyes almost perfectly and exitied the back of the head . I kinda thought when I squeezed the trigger that the bullet would be in the skull cap when I skinned the deer out but that was not the case .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks 6pt

not a great town load, but sounds like a good meat maker.

I'll keep looking
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Post by carbluesnake »

A 30 cal 220 gr. has lots of sectional density, and sectional density equals penetration. I am in the process of building an 8" SBR and I plan on 125 gr. Noslers if I can get them to shoot well in my gun. All indications are that it will. For your case, I would try the lightest bullet that will function, but I really think you have the wrong tool for minimized penetration.