optics advice wanted

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

optics advice wanted

Post by Grizz »

More AR stuff. one thing I learned plinking in dense fog yesterday is that yes, after some number of years, my eyes aren't young any more. I don't know what happened...

I am looking for a scope and want to know what you'all know.

By now everyone knows I buy the cheapest thing that will meet my needs reliably. I pay up for quality that makes a difference, but I don't pay for logos or hype. I bought Furuno commercial marine electronics because they're the best, but I will buy Garmin because they are second best and meet my current needs, for a lot less dinero.

Along those lines, I want a scope for the ARs. And I think I would like a lighted reticule. I don't think I need a BDC, I have one on the HK scope, so we're covered there. And I am comfortable with hold-over when needed, from my pistol hunting days.

I don't know what power is most practical. When I go into the bear woods I remove the scope, it probably won't be used for deer hunting in dense forest. But I would like to hunt hogs and yotes and speedgoats. So, not a range scope, a field scope.

The only scope I had in Alaska was a Leupold 2-7 on my 338 WM. But I usually took it off in the woods. Even 2x is 2 much in cqb(bear) contacts. Not certain I liked it so much, or disliked it. I could reliably pick starfish off the rocks from my boat. But I hated it in the woods.

things that matter are water and fog proof. optical clarity, mostly due to coatings, and that doesn't have to be overtly expensive to be effective. physicaly rugged. it will get mounted, demounted, and lugged around in a pack or bounced around in a skiff or lying on the floor of the van on washboard roads. I could be happy with a fixed power scope, I think. I remember plinking cans at abt 500 yards with my Dad's fixed power scope on his 270 Weatherby, but I don't know what the magnification was. Possibly 4x. But young eyes.

open season for opinions

thanks

Grizz
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: optics advice wanted

Post by Griff »

I have an "el cheapo" 1-4x20 on my AR. At 1 power I can shoot it with both eyes open, and the little 2-mil dot is easy to pick up and see most targets out to 200 yards with. But, beyond 100 meters, I'm mostly going to raise the power anyway... I got it at Academy Sports for $79 including the mount. I was about to toss it in the trash when 1st sighting it in... then found I really hadn't tightened the screws tight enough... Now, I'm kinda pleased with it!

Let's put this way... when I was getting hits on the 450 yard target during my last 3Gun match... It felt like a REAL good buy! It ain't made for that kinda shooting... as there's no reticle, just the 2-mil dot, and an outer circle that's... criminy, I forgot was it's dimension is...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have Leupold variables on both of my AR's. 2-7x. and 4-12x , I really like them. I also prefer the standard duplex reticle to any of the others.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

For a new one, A fixed power Nikon, or Pentax....the new Redfields are good, too, as they are backed by Leupold.
I'd be tempted to go for a fixed 2x Leupold. A used one. Then send it back, and they will send it to you in like new condition.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Griff wrote:
I'm very partial to a low power variable that doesn't require batteries. Leupolds are always a safe bet, but I've been looking at some of the less expensive scopes for interim use till I can afford a Leupy. I'd be interested in any kind of round count etc that you have on this scope if you have a rough idea on those details.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Griff does that scope have an unlit reticle also, or just lit?
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

On my DPMS Sportical carbine I have a Nikon AR .223 scope. It is a 3x with BDC reticle -- not really required, IMO, on a carbine, but nice. Clear optics, accurately repeatable click setting, compact, and around $150. It's mounted on a pair of 1/2" quick-detach riser blocks, making it quickly removable for using the folding backup sights I also have on the rifle, and convenient when I want to swap it off for a Tasco Pro-Point red dot sight, also mounted on a quick-detach riser.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Having the old eyes problem this is one that fits your requirements Millett DMS-1, only a couple of hundred dollars, 30 mm tube, and the circle dot is illuminated. (excuse the tilted photos)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I bought a couple of Leupold 1-4 shotgun scopes a few years ago and wish I had bought more. The best part of them is the heavy easy to see crosshair.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I have a Burris Speeddot 135 mounted on my AR. I think that it has a 3moa dot.
It suits me out to a couple hundred yards, and I doubt that I would deliberately engage a target beyond that range with a 5.56.
The 35mm tube gives a good field of view. The Speeddot 135 has been reliable in all sorts of weather for the past couple of years. I do make a point to carry an extra battery but have never needed to change it in the field.
A pal of mine swears by the Eotech sights but he has a lot more disposable income than me.

Jack
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I have a Leupold VX-R
http://www.amazon.com/Leupold-111231-VX ... firedot+vx
When I bought it, the price was closer to 399, and was the one below. The hog plex is supposedly set up for leading a running hog :roll: but you might be able to ignore that feature if it saves you 260 dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/Leupold-114933-VX ... ld+firedot

EDIT: That hog plex link above is not a firedot scope. Amazon descriptions tend to be misleading sometime. I think the firedot version is 499, not 239. I like my VX-R. It has a black reticle with illuminated dot in the center (variable brightness). For close range or low light I leave it on low magnification, but can run it up to 4X if I need to check out something a little farther before I shoot.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've had great success with Redfield and Burris and Nikon as far as repeatability and ordinary durability (I seldom drop my guns in Alaskan streams and retrieve them the next spring, or toss them off rooftops).

I actually have had no problems with Weaver and Tasco scopes I've had, but the ones I've had in those brands are either 5-20x or 10-40x and not what you're after.

One thing to consider if you're worried about 'backup' irons is just getting the 45-degree ones (either bulky but fully-adjustable just like regular AR sights, or trimmed down sight-in-and-leave-it types that save bulk but aren't made for 'field' adjustments). They deploy ten times faster than the flip-up ones, and have less to go wrong.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Leupy and don't look back.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

sore shoulder wrote:...I'd be interested in any kind of round count etc that you have on this scope if you have a rough idea on those details.
sore shoulder wrote:Griff does that scope have an unlit reticle also, or just lit?
Unlit black in the "off" position and then both red & green in 5 different intensities. Tried to take a photo... just too blurry to see well. Probably just under 500 rounds as a rough estimate.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks Guys

Griff, that pretty well ticks all the boxes. Does it fade badly in twilight?

A little 100mph tape to secure the searchlight ...

thanks
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Grizz wrote:Thanks Guys
Griff, that pretty well ticks all the boxes. Does it fade badly in twilight?
A little 100mph tape to secure the searchlight ...
thanks
I couldn't honestly say... I'll check it out tonite... bein' a "fair-weather" type shooter ya know! :P I still wanna get an adapter to mount my little 130 lumen light to the bayonet lug.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Griff wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:...I'd be interested in any kind of round count etc that you have on this scope if you have a rough idea on those details.
sore shoulder wrote:Griff does that scope have an unlit reticle also, or just lit?
Unlit black in the "off" position and then both red & green in 5 different intensities. Tried to take a photo... just too blurry to see well. Probably just under 500 rounds as a rough estimate.
Thanks Griff.
11B30
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Do you need magnification, or would a reflex work for you? There are some decent options for each without going too expensive, but you also don't want to go cheap. I can recommend a couple if you tell me your preference.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The Millett DMS is an inexpensive option and they do work pretty reliable.

I've had generally good experience with Burris Fullfields for hunting.

For harder use, the Leupold 1.5-5X on an AR works very well. With decent ammo and a shooter with a clue, center mass groups at 500 are possible assuming no extreme weather conditions. I'm talking on a human size target.

Trijicon or Leupold 1-4X's all work pretty well and are very quick for close-in work.

I still prefer an Aimpoint for general use, but if you do need magnification, the above do well.

The VX-R has gotten good reviews but I have not used one in the field yet.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... 2015_Nikon

Nikon 3-12X42.......probably more favorable to long distance shooting then CQB but the nice thing about ARs is switching out to a different scope is so easy or even going to the iron sights fixed at a angle on the side for up close work.

Wm
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

7.62 Precision wrote:Do you need magnification, or would a reflex work for you? There are some decent options for each without going too expensive, but you also don't want to go cheap. I can recommend a couple if you tell me your preference.
definitely need magnification. not decided on how much. not a big fan of scopes but it's gotten to the point where like-it isn't the operative concept.

I'm liking Griff's scope as a starting point. I saw the Nikons at Natchetz. still looking. I'm not in a big hurry but don't want to waste dinero either by being too cheap, or buying hype that doesn't translate to utility.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

This is probably the best deal I know of going right now. If you put Bushnell10 in the coupon code, you get an additional 10% off, or so I have heard.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... 1424i.html
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

horsesoldier03 wrote:This is probably the best deal I know of going right now. If you put Bushnell10 in the coupon code, you get an additional 10% off, or so I have heard.

I didn't see anything on the ad that says that it's waterproof, fogproof, dustproof, or if it has a guaranty. Kind of sketchy info, do you know?

thanks

Grizz
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Just saw this and thought it might interest you

http://www.thetacticalwire.com/story/338104
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Post by carbluesnake »

Vortex 1-4X Viper PST. This is one heck of a piece of glass. $499 at Midway. Yea, I know $500 is a lot, but I'm telling you this is a piece of work. The reticle is great for quick close shots, and you have a very small dot for precision work. In low light, the dot will light up with a variable intensity. It has everything I think you want.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have a fixed power 1.5 on my CAR, I shoot it with both eyes open.
KISS.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Grizz wrote:
horsesoldier03 wrote:This is probably the best deal I know of going right now. If you put Bushnell10 in the coupon code, you get an additional 10% off, or so I have heard.

I didn't see anything on the ad that says that it's waterproof, fogproof, dustproof, or if it has a guaranty. Kind of sketchy info, do you know?

thanks

Grizz
I think they are fog proof and waterproof, but not much of a guarantee.
http://www.bushnell.com/global/customer ... nformation
http://www.bushnell.com/tactical/rifle- ... tech-talks
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I've got one of these on the way. Been using the non-illuminated model for a while, it does everything advertised, and decided the illuminated one offered the best of both world, an illuminated red dot, and low magnification. The one I have now gathers light well and has very clear lens and reticle for a scope that cost under $200.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks guys, I ordered the Bushnell. No 10% off when I did it.

NEXT: what mount do you recommend?

I will be swapping this from one chassis to another, possibly even to the 12ga. I don't know how to scope an AR.

I put a half-height riser on for the red dot, that worked just right for the pistol and carbine. What CHEAP but durable enough mounts are out there, and why do I want that one?

Thanks again for all the input. I am looking forward to actually seeing the gong when I fire at it, rather than relying on the ding, spin, and bounce, for feedback. (forgot the rattle-can) and the gong was perfectly camo'd in the fog. :lol: :D :lol:

Grizz
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I won't recommend cheap. I will recommend what works no matter what you do to it.

LaRue's LT104 is specific to ARs, and will repeatably mount and re-mount.

The ADM is a clone of it, but also works.

The Burris PEPR is the cheap Chinese non-repeatable zero version of the same idea. Don't blame me if you pull it and it doesn't keep zero.

You won't find one mount that works on both a shotgun and a AR.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

My 3 favorites:

Leupold VXll 1-4X

Burris 3-9X Ballistic Plex

Aimpoint 9000L 2MOA Dot
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:Thanks guys, I ordered the Bushnell. No 10% off when I did it.

I will be swapping this from one chassis to another, possibly even to the 12ga. I don't know how to scope an AR.

I put a half-height riser on for the red dot, that worked just right for the pistol and carbine. What CHEAP but durable enough mounts are out there, and why do I want that one?

Thanks again for all the input. I am looking forward to actually seeing the gong when I fire at it, rather than relying on the ding, spin, and bounce, for feedback. (forgot the rattle-can) and the gong was perfectly camo'd in the fog. :lol: :D :lol:

Grizz
Use the Force, Grizz....Do, or do not.... :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I'm playing with a Burris PER right now but haven't gotten to play with it enough to form an opinion yet. Never used a LaRue but I'm sure they're good kit. I've had very good luck with GG&G QD mounts. If I were looking at moving it between different guns I'd buy just the QD base, http://www.gggaz.com/accucam-quick-deta ... -base.html or http://www.gggaz.com/accucam-quick-deta ... -base.html that way you can put what rings will fit your overall all needs better than one set up for strictly an AR.

I like TPS rings and have found them to be an exceptional buy for the money spent. http://www.brownells.com/search/index.h ... &ksubmit=y

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BlaineG wrote:
Grizz wrote:Thanks guys, I ordered the Bushnell. No 10% off when I did it.

Grizz
Use the Force, Grizz....Do, or do not.... :P
wipe on, wipe off . . .