Dangerous Game Hunting with Lever Actions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BrentD

Dangerous Game Hunting with Lever Actions

Post by BrentD »

I know there is a .475 Turnbull thread right now, but this is one is about a REAL Dangerous Game Rifle and a hare (sic) raising hunt this weekend.

Every year we have a weekend Rabbit Hunt and Poker Match - and shooting extravaganza. This year, the weather was pretty good. There was plenty of snow for good visibility and yet, it was pretty warm. Rabbit populations seemed to be up according to the DNR and the tale of tracks in the snow.

So, to cut to the chase so to speak, we were stalking up through the thorn bush, hot on the trail of a dagga-boy bunny. He had slipped in behind us but we knew we had him cornered in the draw, so we advanced slowly - bush to bush, rifles at the ready for instant deployment. "Beagle" Al swung out and around us as a strategic move to cut him off at the top of the draw, but this turned the ol'boy back on his tracks and he came back through the scrub looking to surprise one of us and maybe take us down while making his escape.

Well, at great risk to himself, "Beagle" Al sung out, "He's comin' Boys!" And we all brought our rifles up to half mast, and at that moment, I spotted him barreling downhill and right at me. Of course, with Beagle Al up ahead, shooting was out of the question, a ricochet off the frozen ground was too dangerous, but clearly, this bull rabbit was feeling cornered and out for blood. He had me in his sights and for sure, he was about to leap for my throat. There wasn’t a lot of time to think about what my options were, but luckily, I knew that killer, rogue rabbits always feint to their right as if they are going to go around you, and then they pivot back to their left, driving off their right rear foot as they go for your carotid arteries (see link http://imgcdn.geocaching.com/cache/4fdd ... =0.5926434 for graphic example). Well, I was ready for him and when he juked to my left, I swung my trusty Marlin and slammed a 40 gr subsonic hollowpoint in behind is shoulder, rolling him on the spot. Instantly, I planted a second shot right next to the first and just as quick as it all started, it was over. Me and my 39 triumphed once again. It was a near thing as he slid to a stop, only a scant 8 ft from my boots.

Of course, none of this could have happened if it weren’t for pictures, so here is a trophy shot. Me and 39 managed to dust another one, under slightly less dramatic circumstances, but this one is the “killer-bunny-gone-bad” and my trusty 39.

Needless to say, many a cold one was needed later to calm the nerves... :)

I hope ya'll had as good a weekend as mine.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Dangerous Game Hunting with Lever Actions

Post by Blaine »

Shock, and Awe right here in America....(I really enjoyed your writeup 8) )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

time for some Hasenpfeffer stew
----- Doug
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Sure got my rabid gopher charge beat!!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I've been in Your shoes Brent and know all too well how different the outcome could have been. You are an unusual Man with nerves of steel and a sharp eye. rest well tonight.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I have hade some hare-raising experiences before, but never anything like this. I am always in awe of the great hunters who can calmly face such situations, and then shrug it off as if it were just another average hunt for them.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

You're a far better man than I Gunga Din

Last time I faced a charge like that I was carrying one of those old English double guns and took him out with a full charge of #6 shot. What was left of him got to within about 8 ft of me as well.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I don't get it....what did that little ball of fur ever do to you?

He was my friend, my little buddy......my.....my......can't take it anymore.......

I'm calling Barbara Streisand...... :D -------6

Nice pic Brent!
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

BrentD

Post by BrentD »

I"m sorry Six, but he didn't give me any choice. It was him or me - soon, he will be me... slurp!
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Winchester 1895 in 40-72...

Whitney kennedy SRC in 45-60...

Winchester 1873 in 22 long...

plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Good post, really enjoyed that
Wathin one eat corn right now
Tryin to keep him happy
Don't want him charging
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

You got me on the levergun part....but I still say you were overgunned. :D

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... im#p375023
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Shrapnel wrote:Image
Now, THAT's a lot of hasenpfeffer stew!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Did the malcontent rabbits fire an RPG at your helicopter, barely missing it before you hit the LZ?
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Lynn Thompson (COLD STEEL Knife Company) offers a DVD of his hunts for wild water buffalo in Australia's wild outback country. DVD is titled, Death Down Under. Lynn topples dozens of buffalo with a 44MAG revolver loaded with 300 grain Hornady XTP bullets. Now these animals are sturdy built with thick hides and heavy bones. Yet no match for well placed 44MAG bullets at reasonable shooting distances.

The mighty 444 Marlin loaded with identical bullets is a deadly rifle in the hands of a good rifleman. I really doubt that the 475 Turnbull kills 'em any deader. That being stated, Turnbull rifles are extremely well made and nothing wrong with the cartridge ballistics either. But because of price, they're not for everyone.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

BrentD: It's going to take a while to get my adrenalin back down to normal levels after reading that.

Shrapnel: I can see you are a man who believes in using 'enough gun'. I particularly love that 40-72 with what looks like a tapered octagon barrel. Beautiful rifle!! I hunted Snowshoe Hares once with a 43 Mauser. That is 'enough gun' as well, as I found out.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I can relate with certainty that a .54 Renegade with RB, and 35 grains of Pyrodex P is effective on squill. (what do you think? Maybe 600fps? I know it was ORH at fifty feet or so.)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Shrapnel,
There is one caliber I have never played with and even being in the best part of the country for "anything Winchester or Colt", I have never laid eyes on a "shootable" 95 in 40-72. I did see several but they were all 99% and......while I shoot such guns, I won't pay the 4 g price.

So........ole buddy...ole pal...... :D Shoot that 95 some more, get bored of it and I have tons of trade stock...ole pal!

Like you, I have disease for fine Winchesters. I really do need a 40 caliber without that nasty 1-28 twist of the 40-65 or the 40-82.

Nice piece...indeed.....

Come on.....can I have it? :D -----6

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I see that someone has been watching "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" again with the killer rabbit scene!!!! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Sixgun wrote:Shrapnel,
There is one caliber I have never played with and even being in the best part of the country for "anything Winchester or Colt", I have never laid eyes on a "shootable" 95 in 40-72. I did see several but they were all 99% and......while I shoot such guns, I won't pay the 4 g price.

So........ole buddy...ole pal...... :D Shoot that 95 some more, get bored of it and I have tons of trade stock...ole pal!

Like you, I have disease for fine Winchesters. I really do need a 40 caliber without that nasty 1-28 twist of the 40-65 or the 40-82.

Nice piece...indeed.....

Come on.....can I have it? :D -----6

Watch for the article in an upcoming "Handloader" magazine. Come on out to Montana and go on a rabbit hunt with big bores...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Shrapnel wrote:...Come on out to Montana and go on a rabbit hunt with big bores...
My "travel agent" is trying to talk me into taking a load up the Lethbridge, AB. Is the end of next week a good time? I'll bring the Shiloh... Maybe pry the Big Mike outta the bear's den and swap some lies about the "old days!"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The only questionable decision Josey made was leaving Sondra behind.... Uff Daa :o :shock: (hard to believe she was 32 when she make Josey)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Shrapnel, (I like that name :D )
I have a year and a few months to go........there's a mess of people I want to meet and shoot with. You and Mike V. are on my list....if you guys will have a cocky easterner for a few days.

And then there's Ms. Boots.....and of course, Mr. Brad......and OS......Griff......yea....maybe even Blaine :D -----the 6

GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Wow, what a hare-raising adventure. Can't wait to here about the "Killer Chipmunk Adventure." :wink: Nice posting.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Chipmunk? Have you ever gone knuckle to knuckle with a Chippie? Well, I have and I tell you it wasn't pretty. I escaped with my life, but only because Chip couldn't be bothered with finishing me off. I don't have enough gun for one of those anyway.