.45 ACP Reloading Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

.45 ACP Reloading Question

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I normally stick with the 200 grain bullets when reloading for the .45 ACP. My pet load for this is 5.3 grains of W231 and a Missouri Bullet Co 200 Grain RNFP. Recently I came across a sale of 230 grain FMJ bullets I loaded them with 4.8 grains of Titegroup. Yesterday, I made it to the range and got to shoot a few magazines full. The bullets seemed to hold a decent group 6" at 15 yards but when compared to the 200 grain bullets, they seemed to key hole or possibly were tumbling when they hit. The COL for the 230 grain is 1.250. Feel free to suggest a pet load or speculate on why they might have been tumbling.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: .45 ACP Reloading Question

Post by Griff »

Were the 230 grainers .451 or .452? I usually strive about 850-900 fps out of my 5" 45 ACPs. never had any issues with keyholing or poor accuracy.

Did you have any leading in your barrel... (not knowing how hard your bullets were).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWIW, I only change one thing at a time.....go back to the 231, and try again.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Griff, good point, I will have to meaure with my calipers. Blaine, excellent point, KISS has always worked for me. Keeping changes simple goes a long ways when you try to figure out what went wrong.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Then too, there are those days, when I don't seemingly have to aim to shoot ten rings, and others where... let's just say it's like WORK!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Well IMO, keeping 10 shots in a 6" bullseye is acceptable for me at 15 yards. I just found it odd to see the bullets key holing. I think you hit the nail on the head with the bullet diameter. The 230 grain FMJ are Barry's Plated Bullets. I normally use Missouri Bullet Co 200 grain RNFP. I definately think I get better accuracy with Missouri Bullets. I will measure the diameteters when I get home from work.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Too small a bullet can keyhole because it didn't get stabilized by the rifling like it would have if it had been big enough. Doesn't always take much either.

Some calipers can measure accurately enough, some can't.

Cat
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I checked the diameter last night. It measured right at .450 with my calipers.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

horsesoldier03 wrote:I checked the diameter last night. It measured right at .450 with my calipers.
Yep, I think that's the problem right there... should not be less than .451, most preferably .4515 or .452.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Post by carbluesnake »

Your bullet diameter certainly seems to be the culprit. Loads that I have used over the years are: 6.7 gr. Unique w/ 200 gr. WC., and my old standby is 5.4 gr. Bullseye with either 200 gr. WC or the 230 gr. RN. They shoot very well. A light load of Bullsye, 3.5 - 3.7gr. w/ 200 gr. WC is what I used in Nat'l Match competition. Unique load runs the 200 at about 930fps, The Bullseye load runs a 200 at 890 fps, and the light Bullseye load runs the 200 at 730 fps.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Calipers can get you real close, but can be off a few thousandths. Do you have a micrometer? If so, check the diameter with it and see if it isn't different.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Every reloader should have a decent micrometer, 1", and a dial caliper, 6". The first thing to do when sumpin' don't fit; measure! Before any lead bullets are loaded; measure. Many, many fewer headaches...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Nope, I do not have a micrometer, I do have a dial caliper. I do not cast bullets so I typically buy what is available on the shelf. This was the first time I have ever purchased this brand of bullets. I guess I need to stick with the brands I know.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

At .450, those 230s are undersized for anything...you might be able to get your money back......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

BlaineG wrote:At .450, those 230s are undersized for anything...you might be able to get your money back......
That's exactly what I was thinking.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

sore shoulder wrote:
BlaineG wrote:At .450, those 230s are undersized for anything...you might be able to get your money back......
That's exactly what I was thinking.
I only bought a package of 250. It groups close enough for good range fodder. I will stick with the companies that I know to cast to proper size in the future.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

mikld wrote:Every reloader should have a decent micrometer, 1", and a well-made steel dial caliper, 6". The first thing to do when sumpin' don't fit; measure! Before any lead bullets are loaded; measure. Many, many fewer headaches...
There, fixed that for ya!
Thunder50 wrote:Calipers can get you real close, but can be off a few thousandths. Do you have a micrometer? If so, check the diameter with it and see if it isn't different.
Those plastic things they call dial calipers, yes... good quality expensive steel dial calipers... no so much a problem. I have three, a RCBS, some made in China thing and a Mititoyo (sp?), that cost an arm & leg 30 years ago... it's never off. Even the RCBS unit is good quality... and easier to read without a magnifying glass. My son has a Starrett digital... as long as the battery is good, it reads accurately.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!