need help finding cast bullet to cycle in Marlin'94 in 41mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

need help finding cast bullet to cycle in Marlin'94 in 41mag

Post by Goat »

I bought the first Marlin 1894fg in 41magnum I could lay hands on whenever it was they came out. I didn't shoot it much because of the pistol gripped stock. Along comes a good member here and we swap necessary metal a nd wood to get me the '94 in 41mag I was itching for. Bought a Ruger Blackhawk with the easy packing 4-5/8" in 41 so they could be playmates.
Fast forward to about nine months ago and I thought I was ready to sling some lead. I was given use of a Brand Xx six cavity mold that has a super wide meplat bullet that was advertised to be especially designed to work through Marlin's rifles. Doesn't work for me unless the are seated VERY deeply. A call to the manufacturer goes like this, "Well, I ain't never had any trouble with mine or had any other complaints." The man loaning them to me admits the same experience.
ANYONE have a suggestion on what relatively wide meplat bullet WILL CYCLE through the little '94? I'm looking to shoot a bullet in the area of 250gr. One problem I know I will have to address is the razor edged back of the chamber. Holding the gun in the firing position a bystander can easily see the top rear of the chamber mouth grab and attempt to take a bite out of these bullets.
I've tried other bullets that almost work but still the chamber bites. I think I will try to phone the guys at LBT, Accurate Molds and others and check out what they have to say.
ANY recommendations or suggestions are appreciated. I will have to ask the Dr. at the next appointment when I can start casting again.
Thanks for the help!

Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: need help finding cast bullet to cycle in Marlin'94 in 4

Post by Griff »

A truncated cone bullet is the next best thing to a SWC... but a round flat nose is the best design for a straight walled case like the 41Mag... Same issue for the 357Mag, 44Mag and the 45 Colt.

A 250 grain bullet in the 41Mag is a "long for caliber" bullet... and yes, would probably need to seated back inside the case to work within the overall length constraints of a levergun. Which would limit your performance to a certain degree. You might be best served to stick to a 210 or maybe a 220 grain.

Saeco Molds have a few truncated cone sizes that meet your requirements... except for that 250gr weight!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Why do yo want such a heavy Bullet? I have killed a fair amount of feral pigs with a 215 gain bullet out of a handgun and they worked just fine and run fine through my 94, just have not killed any pigs with the rifle.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I applaud the heavy bullet idea and recommend Marshall Stanton's Beartooth Bullets. Heavy bullets are for doing heavy work. Sometimes girlie bullets just don't satisfy.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

scroll down to 41 caliber. The 265 looks good to me. I like the 300 mo'better.

I shoot his bullets in 45/70, 44 mag, and 357 mag marlins with no problems.

If you have problems with these bullets, you might look at the feed ramp and then the lifter. Sometimes those items might need some tuning.

Grizz
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Leadheads has a choice of 235,250, and 270. All look like they should work. Ain't cheap but they are gas checked for any velocity you want. The 235 should solve your problem.

https://secure25.securewebsession.com/p ... /order.htm
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff wrote:A truncated cone bullet is the next best thing to a SWC... but a round flat nose is the best design for a straight walled case like the 41Mag... Same issue for the 357Mag, 44Mag and the 45 Colt.

A 250 grain bullet in the 41Mag is a "long for caliber" bullet... and yes, would probably need to seated back inside the case to work within the overall length constraints of a levergun. Which would limit your performance to a certain degree. You might be best served to stick to a 210 or maybe a 220 grain.

Saeco Molds have a few truncated cone sizes that meet your requirements... except for that 250gr weight!
Agree about the truncated cone bullet. That should work.

However I don't agree that all of the .45 Colts have the same problem as the smaller calibers. I've had three Marlin 1894s in .45 Colt and only one of them had any problems with bullets. But it was a lemon - stinker out of the box.

Each gun is a law unto itself. If I had your Marlin I'd check the carrier timing cos if it's a bit high it will direct the bullets into the top of the chamber.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Don't have a 41 but I think this mold would work for you if you are willing to cast.
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_in ... 0pdu2vu1t0