hobby Treats from HeatTreatForge

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

hobby Treats from HeatTreatForge

Post by Grizz »

We have a significant moment coming up and I am gift wrapping some things...
20153040.JPG
20153039.JPG
The outside hooks hang from drifts thru the vine loops. The center one is drilled because it is meant to hold two items, hat or scarf on the leaf above the coat hook.

the rather medieval knock-knock for the front gate...

20153054.JPG
20153057.JPG
Going to head and thread the 3/8 rods to secure the base plate to the gate, then heat and close the eye to secure the ring of the clapper.

I picked up a leg vise and Buffalo Forge blower so next forging season will be doing more hot work in the charcoal forge than the gas forge I'm using now.
20152961.JPG
restarting the boat projects as spring blows into the PNW.

anyone else banging steel these days?

Grizz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Re: hobby Treats from HeatTreatForge

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

I have wanted to do that for years,have some tools but never got things together to get started. look like fun,but to make something that did not Exist is always a rewarding feeling.
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Nice work, Grizz....You never cease to impress me. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BlaineG wrote:Nice work, Grizz....You never cease to impress me. 8)
+1
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Nice work, Grizz....You never cease to impress me. 8)
+1
+2.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Nicely done. A new forge is on the to do list when I retire next summer.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Nice work Grizz. I don't know how much forge work you have done with charcoal but it requires more attention. I use coal mostly and its the same way. I've burned up a ton of steel and iron not watching close enough.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Good lookin hammerin
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. Glad I'm young enough to swing the hammer.

I have a long list of more things to make, and a semi-serious dream of selling heat treats off my boat when I run to Alaska. be kind of a nice way to work my way up the coastline. tie up and do finish work when the rich sport-fishermen come in all flush from killing cohos. Heh. maybe I'll learn a think or two about catching fishermen, eh?

"A little something for the wife, Senor?"

LOL

Going to make a tripod/cowboy-chuckwagon cook outfit for my Tx son's new house. He will be able to pack it out for dove and audad hunts with his friends. make some flatbread and beans, roast the birds and boil the coffee stiff. fun stuff.

Grizz
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

I have a big cast pot that was hung over a outside fire to boil something.It would hold 30 gallons of water i bet. The handle that hooked to 2 tits thst were molded out the sides.is gone I would love to have a handle made for it from forged steel like the real 1 was. It weighs way over 100 pounds. and about 3 feet around.I seen Becky Boone making soap in 1 on tv and grammy Clampet too.
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JOHNNY WACKO wrote:I have a big cast pot that was hung over a outside fire to boil something.It would hold 30 gallons of water i bet. The handle that hooked to 2 tits thst were molded out the sides.is gone I would love to have a handle made for it from forged steel like the real 1 was. It weighs way over 100 pounds. and about 3 feet around.I seen Becky Boone making soap in 1 on tv and grammy Clampet too.
I think you can repair that with an eye of steel plate riveted to the cauldron. Or cast iron even if you can find it. You're going to have a load of around 350 pounds when it's full. A blacksmith said he made a tripod for one like that and used 3/4" mild steel round bar to support it. I forgot to ask him how long the legs were. A case where the old plain geometry will answer the basic questions. For something that heavy I might be wanting to use 4 legs.

One snippet of info I found on one of the cowboy chuckwagon cook sites is that one more coal under a dutch oven and one more on the lid will raise the internal temperature by 25dF. Which amazes me but it makes sense. A good cook knows the exact temperature he needs for the best results. It makes sense that a cooking technique that is a thousand or more years old has some quantifiable data points.

Good stuff, thanks for all the feedback.

Today the knock-knock goes on the gate. It's a surprise for my daughter who is driving a tugboat in the Bering Sea.

Grizz
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: hobby Treats from HeatTreatForge UPDATE

Post by Grizz »

Here's the knock-knock installation. I'm liking the shadow detail. :)
20153065.JPG
I turned the striker around 180 from my sketch. Like the detail better that way, sounds the same.

Grizz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.