M1 Carbine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

M1 Carbine

Post by RustyJr »

Have been thinking of getting an M1 Carbine to play with and maybe for a home defense gun at some point (while I am comfortable with and carry an AR carbine on duty I figured the M1 would have less muzzle blast inside a room). I am guessing that my best bet would be to find a surplus model but have also noticed that Auto Ordinance does make one. Does anyone know if these are quality made and reliable? Also would want the wood stocked model and not the paratrooper model.

Thanks in advance,

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Re: M1 Carbine

Post by Paladin »

M-1 Carbines are getting sort of expensive. Having used them at work (M-2) and play I don’t own one as the round is very limited, the carbine heavier that the M-4, and it is not all that quiet. For the price of a carbine you would be better off getting a suppressor for your (buy one with a can cheaper than a carbine) M-4. There are lots of them out there and the CMP had the real deal if you want history. For what you are describing as the need and this site try a 1892 in .45 Colt.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/
It is not the critic who counts
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I agree with Paladin regarding the noise level. The 30 Carbine round really cracks! If I used a long gun for home defense, it would be a 12 gauge double barrel or pump shotgun (the Remington 870 comes to mind). Coupled with a handgun, it will serve your needs and you won't have to worry about over penetration through walls.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Paladin wrote:For what you are describing as the need and this site try a 1892 in .45 Colt.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/
+1! Or, even an 1873! My newest... 18" rifle... holds 10 in the mag:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

kaschi wrote:I agree with Paladin regarding the noise level. The 30 Carbine round really cracks! If I used a long gun for home defense, it would be a 12 gauge double barrel or pump shotgun (the Remington 870 comes to mind). Coupled with a handgun, it will serve your needs and you won't have to worry about over penetration through walls.
Not to nitpick too much, but many 12 gauge loads will go through a couple layers of drywall...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote:
kaschi wrote:I agree with Paladin regarding the noise level. The 30 Carbine round really cracks! If I used a long gun for home defense, it would be a 12 gauge double barrel or pump shotgun (the Remington 870 comes to mind). Coupled with a handgun, it will serve your needs and you won't have to worry about over penetration through walls.
Not to nitpick too much, but many 12 gauge loads will go through a couple layers of drywall...
Yes, if fired from close range, but... which is why I don't like a long gun for inside the home... once the shot has separated from the wad, not much chance of that... but that's at a distance greater that most house sized rooms. Buckshot, on the other hand, does have enough mass to penetrate...

But the real reason I don't care for them... is if you're inside trying to make sure the rest of the house is clear, a long gun precedes you into the next space... giving the perpetrator a chance to get a hand on the barrel and wrench it out of your hands... a hand gun can be held much tighter to the body and diminishes this risk significantly. And if the 'bad guys' are still outside, then range and lighting conditions can predict which type long gun I'm going for, (rifle or shotgun).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

RustyJr wrote:Have been thinking of getting an M1 Carbine to play with and maybe for a home defense gun at some point (while I am comfortable with and carry an AR carbine on duty I figured the M1 would have less muzzle blast inside a room). I am guessing that my best bet would be to find a surplus model but have also noticed that Auto Ordinance does make one. Does anyone know if these are quality made and reliable? Also would want the wood stocked model and not the paratrooper model.

Thanks in advance,

RustyJr
Hi,
The CMP http://thecmp.org/ would be a good place to start. They sometimes get in a small batch and either auction or open for general sales.
30 Carbine ammo is pretty expensive, maybe handloading would be a good bit cheaper.

But, looking at the numbers, a 357mag is pretty close to the 30 M1, so ammo would be easier to get and a lot cheaper.

Maybe the 300 Blackout would be a lot better for what you plan, you are used to the platform from your job and the ballistics are better.

Steve
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Rusty Jr, ask your dad about Jim Cirillo and the M1 carbine. do some reading on it. These young guys are all about the AR15 and the other little ones, the 30 carbine will still do the job. If you can't find a GI get a Universal or Auto Ordinance they can all be made to run good. Most trouble is bent mag lips.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

So right Jerry. We've talked about Jim Cirillo. We also talked about Audie Murphy. Murphy liked the carbine because it was light and fast handling. After one battle he said most of his shots were head shots with the carbine.
I know a lot of G.I.s that came home from WWII and Korea liked the Carbine enough to use it in the deer woods. When I look at the carbine on paper it looks a lot closer to the .32-20 than it does a .357 Mag.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

My grandfather liked his Carbine loaded with FMJ's for wild turkey of all things .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I believe the best gun for home defense is the one you use the most...and in your case, the M-4. We all read (hopefully, will never experience). that in times of extreme stress, your memory from training will take over........so who wants to fumble with the antiquities of an M-1 carbine when your M-4 will come out smooth as glass, not to mention the unfortunate possible occurrence of a stovepipe.

I like the M-1 carbine and have a blast playing with it but if I have to shoot in anger, I'm shooting what works the best for me in a scary situation......and that's a single action Colt........with an SKS 30 rounder by my side----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have a 1943 Inland that I'd part with ...
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Bill in Oregon, PM sent. (After Rusty Jr, of course).
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Methinks the carbine is a fine choice beit home or ranch. Inside 100 yards it has more impact energy than a 44 mag revolver (load selection considerations) Is that not enough to perforate human torso? Consider any SD shooting you're likley to face will be inside ten yards?

We went around the table at a shooters' breakfast session and came up with a few notables :
They sure killed a bunch of battle-hardened Nazis. No one can argue that. And with ball ammo.
Now Cor-Bon has a 100-gr DPX load that reviews at 2015 fps and regularly gets sub-MOA grouping. That is very close (no perp will know the difference) to a 62gr load from any 16" 5.56/223.

Auto Ordnance is making fine guns with modern steels and technology, and the repro M1 is one of their passions.
They are owned, funded, and manufacturing operations directed by Kahr Arms under an ISO9000 QMS.
They carry a lifetime warranty, which the milsurps do not!
They are very very reliable.
They sell a pistol-grip folding-stock version. 'nuff said for hallway commandos.
They are handy and some say point themselves.
They have a 'cool' factor no AR copy can touch.
Noise? well it IS a supersonic report, like anything heavier than a 38 special!
They sling better than most short rifles, flat against your back, etc.
And the wood stock separates you from the trendy magazine "tactical ninja" crowd.
Choose softpoints or load up your own for ranch work.
The M1 is never a bad choice IMHO. Jus sayin.
And that an Ultimak top rail gets you painlessly into a laser or red-dot or scout scope in any case.

Oh yesh, 5, 10, 15 and 30 rounds mags are very available.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

No one looks twice at my carbine or 5.7MMJ
while my CAR and my Daewoo do frighten people.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I could not convince a co-worker that the FMJ ammo that came with the M1 carbine he barrowed for pig hunting was a bad choice ... He argued it was a good choice because he had killed two with one shot using it... Sheese!...through and through on piggy #1 into piggy #2 behind him. Whatta-ya-gonna-do!?
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

Another fighting corps that had much use of, and high praise for, the M1 Carbine were French Legionairres. They were highly impressed with it's DRT up-close-and-personal killing ability. That really blunt RN FMJ bullet is a killer all out of proportion to it's numbers.
And so it goes...
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

While I was at the club last year, a club member was shooting was shooting a m1 carbine, it sounded like a pop gun compared to the mini 14 ranch rifle I was shooting , I have since sold the mini, loved the gun, hated the muzzle blast, would love one in 9mm.( Ruger are you listening)
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

It is a shame how much M1 Carbine ammo has gone up in the last few years. I remember when you could get new white-box Winchester ammunition, 50 rounds, for a $10 spot, + or 1, depending on the sale...
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Mescalero wrote:No one looks twice at my carbine or 5.7MMJ
while my CAR and my Daewoo do frighten people.
Where do you find brass or loaded ammo for the 5.7 Johnson? My BIL has one and can't find the stuff. He doesn't reload, and doesn't shoot all that much, but he'd really like to take this one out more. He could probably talk me into reloading some for him.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

When the good doctor in Alaska first bought his, I sent him some brass to reload.
I could send you some brass if you like.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

BTT,
For jeepnik.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Mescalero wrote:When the good doctor in Alaska first bought his, I sent him some brass to reload.
I could send you some brass if you like.
I'd appreciate that, but no need to put yourself out. If you can just let me know where you got yours that would do. I'll likely spend a fair amount on dies and such, but what the heck I enjoy reloading, and my BIL really want's to shoot the darned thing.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad