.257 Roberts

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

.257 Roberts

Post by Carlsen Highway »

This thread actually starts further down below:
Last edited by Carlsen Highway on Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: mosambique

Post by gamekeeper »

Bottom right hit edit then go to top left and hit delete.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

But I think that once a post follows yours, yours can't be deleted, just changed.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

But I think that once a post follows yours, yours can't be deleted, just changed.
Yup.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

I should probably think of something interesting to talk about then, since its here to stay...

I have been reloading for my .257 Roberts, deciding between the 117g Sierra flat base bullets or the 120 grain Hornady HP bullets has torn me. I have enough of either. I am shooting red deer, chamois and fallow. I am not sure how each performs as have never used Sierra before in anything, and have never used these Interlock HP's either, although have heard very good things.
I mean, I know that either will do, really, but I think its natural for a gun nut to fuss over such things.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .257 Roberts

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've owned three 257 Bobs . The first was a Ruger 77R tang safety that shot ok with factory and in recent years I had a Ruger #1B and a Remington 722 that both loved about all the hand loads I put in them . My hand loads were all Nosler 115BT or Hornady 117SST .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I have a friend that used the Sierra's. He found them instant death on whitetails but they all broke up. Some folks can't get by that even while eating venison steaks.
I will say that these deer were shot at close range and the bullets were still traveling fast and bones were hit.
Last edited by EdinCT on Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Those I believe would work fine. What are you shooting them out of? I loaded 100 gr Sierra flat base. IIRC correctly 39.0 grs of 4064 gave about 3,000 fps from a 22" barrel. Should be explosive at reasonable ranges. Did not shoot anything with it but the 100 gr .6mm bullet of the same type Sierra bullet dropped two antelope where they stood at 165 yd and 280 yd. The 117 should produce less dramatic results.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

257 Roberts is probably one of the best all-around cartridges there is.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

Ditto to the Doc. I carried a Rem. 722 in .257 in my truck every day for over 20 years as a Conservation Officer. I shot everything with it including moose and 300 lb. black bear, and lots and lots of deer-running dogs. It never once failed to do what I asked of it. I had a cheapo United 4X scope mounted on it that I paid $5.00 for. In 20 years it never changed zero and never fogged up. I always used the factory 117 grain round-nose bullet, and it performed flawlessly. I still have the rifle and still deer hunt with it. It is one of the best and most useful cartridges ever! Old Ned Roberts got it right.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

I have only shot one whitetail with a borrowed .257 Roberts, which was a Mauser action, which caused me to take interest in the cartridge, so when this rifle came up, I had to have it -

I have had it checkered since I got it. It has a Walther barrel on a VZ33 action and is in a very nicely figured walnut stock. I am a sucker for a pretty rifle. Either a Bold or a Timney trigger, not sure which, and has a Meopta 4x scope on it at present.
I am getting excellent accuracy, and it doesn't hardly kick much at all, very pleasant rifle to shoot indeed. This is with the 120 Grain Hornady Interlocks and 44 grains of H4350, which in theory should get me around 2800 - 2850fps or so, I have yet chronograph anything.

Mark Twain
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That ought to do it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Two yrs ago I picked a NIB limited run Winchester Model 70 FWT in this caliber. I've been wanting one of those since I was in HS back in the 70s and the only ones were of course pre-64. In the early 80s, USRAC made some but they were push feed and these didn't float my boat. Sure glad I waited because this one is a beautiful rifle to say the least!
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

The shape of that stock is beautiful! Perfect for someone with longer arms. Was it custom carved or is it a "stock" stock?

I'm a huge fan of the 257 although my flavor is Ackley Improved....

http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/the-vac-rifle.html

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The 257 Roberts really shines with the 87 grain Sierra!
Fast and deadly. The 117 rnsp almost put the 257 out of business.
My grandfather was a huge fan of the .25 bores. I have his custom Arisaka and my dad has his Model 70 in .250-3000. Pretty rare bird. It's counterpart in .257 Roberts was stolen.

Jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

Dad bought this 722 in Hawaii in 1956, and the scope from Japan when he was flying with the 48th ATS out of Honolulu. I decided to set it up and use it for Coyote's. I've shot factory loads but have started gathering the stuff I need to reload for it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Carlsen, that is just one of the loveliest .257s I have ever seen. Good for you for grabbing it!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Carlsen Highway wrote:This thread actually starts further down below:
this thread should start at least 300 yds away
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Carlsen, that rifle is drool worthy. My 257 is an old Winchester model 54 with a 20 inch medium-heavy barrel restocked by Pachmayr's old master smith Freddy Bruner. I got lucky as it loves hornady custom 117gr ammo.
M54-5-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Walker on Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The only way to realize the full potential of the 257 is to have a long action so you can seat the bullets out. About the only thing Remington ever did that made sense was to utilize the long action when they built the 257 in the Classic Series" back in 1984. I bought one of these and have since shoved about 3k down its slender barrel using a 100 gr. Sierra flat base pushed by 40 grains of IMR 4895 for 3k.

My buddy Gunny and I have informal contests from time to time and this is the gun I use for that. It drills clay birds easily out to 500 meters.

I've shot the 117's and 120's and they barely stabilize, sometimes showing a "fat hole" on the target.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

How does .257 compare to 25-06? My daughter has a nice bull barrel rifle that we've never shot. She's like that...

Grizz
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

25-06 will do with a 120 what a 257 will do with a 100 gr.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Old Savage wrote:25-06 will do with a 120 what a 257 will do with a 100 gr.
thanks for that, good to know.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

IMO, once you go to a long action you might as well go to a 25-06.