Tannerite

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Tannerite

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

A man was killed in Portland OR. The other day by an explosion in his car as he was driving. The freeway was shut down for several hours while the BATFE investigated.
It was determined to be caused by a Tannerite explosive target. I knew there was a a reason I don't mess with that stuff. It is outlawed for use at our gun club. People were using the small ones and destroying our target frames.
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Tannerite

Post by Batman1939 »

Now you've given me something to think about. I bought a few pounds of that stuff a couple of yrs ago. So far we've used a little of it with no negative experiences. Works just like advertised. Maybe I'll try to track down the news article.

Maybe I need to "shoot off" the rest of my supply while no one else is around to (possibly) get hurt.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Chuck,
Can you provide a link to that story? I would like to learn more about the facts.

Here it is:
http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascoun ... s_bla.html
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Our range is open to the public with no supervision, those guys just delight in wrecking stuff with that tannerite. Our 385 meter turkey swinger is hung from a frame welded up out of grader blade, they literally blew up the hanger, causing us to spend over three hours welding it up again. We set our silhouette targets on railroad track set in the ground, they blew one of these tracks in two. Unbelievable, I just don't see what these idiots get out of destroying stuff. Range is clearly posted "no exploding targets" but that doesn't mean a thing to them. :roll:
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Leaves one to presume that it was mixed a tad prematurly. The original idea of small "bangs" wan't that bad of an idea and can be fun at the proper locations (NOT gun clubs). Its the numb skulls that mix huge amounts of it that will get it banned. It's not that hard to figure out the chemical composition and order 55 gal barrels of it. That's a bad idea...leaves craters in the ground. You pack that much in your vehicle and the blast falls under the category of cleaning the gene pool.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

ATF: "We still arent sure how much or exactly what kind of materials were involved."
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

CRS , that appears to be a different incident. The one I saw on the news was a guy in a small car that was killed when whatever exploded got him. The channel 12 (Portland OR )news said the highway was shut down for four hours. The next day the exploding target theory was put out by the same reporter claiming it came from the BATFE. I can't seem to get the news station's web site on this I- pad. Maybe you can?
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Leverluver wrote:Leaves one to presume that it was mixed a tad prematurly. The original idea of small "bangs" wan't that bad of an idea and can be fun at the proper locations (NOT gun clubs). Its the numb skulls that mix huge amounts of it that will get it banned. It's not that hard to figure out the chemical composition and order 55 gal barrels of it. That's a bad idea...leaves craters in the ground. You pack that much in your vehicle and the blast falls under the category of cleaning the gene pool.
Local sporting goods has it for sale by the 5-gallon bucket. :roll:
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

maybe some folks prepping for a terrorist attack blew themselves up?

One can be hurt when "playing" with matches, fire, guns, explosives, etc.

I have shot small Tannerite targets with friends and WRT to other firearms activities, Iit does seem like playing.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Even if they have to 'make' something happen, the alpha-goons will likely do whatever they can to make a 'crisis' as an excuse to OK law the stuff.

Of course there are always stupid citizens who manage to do stuff to make it easier for the 'authorities' to clamp down on whatever the item of the day is...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "