'Reduced Loads' - what is safe, and what isn't...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

'Reduced Loads' - what is safe, and what isn't...?

Post by AJMD429 »

I read (in manufacturer loading manuals and elsewhere) that some powders should NOT be used for 'reduced loads', yet some powders seem to consistently come up as 'ok' for "cat sneeze" and other very reduced loads.
  • Which powders are definite 'no-nos' for reduced loads...?
    Which powdera are widely accepted as 'safe' for reduced loads...?
    What are the characteristics that determine these differences...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: 'Reduced Loads' - what is safe, and what isn't...?

Post by Malamute »

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Doc,

I'll use powders from the fastest to about 2400 for reduced loads. I prefer Red Dot, Clays, Universal Clays, HS-6 and 2400. Used them all with ease and success. Usually with pistol primers. They all ignite easily and have smooth pressure curves.

I don't shoot anything bigger than 45-70.

The pistol primers serve as an early warning system for me as they start to show pressure signs before rifle primers do.

I keep all the slower powders to an 80% or greater loading level.

I don't use any fillers.

I usually get from one to two MOA accuracy. I think the loads will shoot better than I can anymore. Most loads are very light. For example the Lyman 311008 (120 grains) over five grains of Red Dot, for 1,225 fps. It's a 30 caliber 22 long rifle! Or a .381 round ball in the 38-55 over six grains of HS-6. About 900 feet.

Scary adventures have come my way down the years, but not due to reduced loads! :)

Does this help?

Cat
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Thanks for those two links...I'd not discover that info before. Fantastic reading!

I've been using very light loads of unique in a 38-55 and a 45-70 for a few years with amazing accuracy. His charts prove it out. Unique is usually the most accurate powder in just about any cartridge he lists. (He doesn't have the 38-55 listed but I'm sure those loads listed for the 375 Winchester would be OK in a modern 38-55)
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com