I Need A Borescope

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

I Need A Borescope

Post by Shasta »

I have become the caretaker of another old-timer, a 1904 vintage Model 1894 Winchester in .25-35 caliber. It's showing its age with worn finish, but the screws are not buggered, so I figured it hasn't been messed with much. The bore was so filthy that I could not tell what its condition was. I began the cleaning process with extensive scrubbing with Hoppes and a brush, but it was not getting the job done, so I got a can of Wipe-Out foaming bore cleaner, and even that took many applications before I was finally able to get clean patches from the bore.

The Winchester .25-35 has a one-turn-in-eight-inches rifling twist, but as I scrubbed the bore my cleaning rod with tight fitting patches did not seem to turn as it should if it was following the rifling, but rather just skipped and jerked along down the barrel. Not a good sign! After I got the bore clean, I used a bore light to inspect the bore, which did not look at all shiny or smooth, but that tiny .25 caliber hole was difficult for me to see through. I have one of those cheap Super-Eyes flexible endoscopes, but it would not fit into the bore, so this afternoon I took the rifle to a nearby gunsmith who has a really neat Hawkeye borescope that cost him nearly a thousand dollars. The bad news was then plainly visible... a very nasty bore that had more corrosion than rifling. :(

I now have to decide whether I want to invest more money in this rifle by getting the bore lined. If I had had a good borescope at initial inspection, I probably would have passed on this rifle, or at least offered less $$. I am inclined to go ahead and get it lined because I like the rifle.

Meanwhile, I've been researching borescopes and found that Lyman will be offering one starting this summer for under $300. It looks very promising to be what I want as far as quality and affordability:

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/GunC ... escope.php

OK, for those who took the time to read this thread to the end, here are some pictures of the Winchester:

SHASTA
Last edited by Shasta on Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I Need A Borescope

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

My step FIL has one just like it. He bought his in Idaho on his return trip from fighting in WWII.
A reline job will fix that bore.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That is a great looking rifle, is it a 24 inch barrel? I would for sure have it relined and enjoy it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

JerryB wrote:That is a great looking rifle, is it a 24 inch barrel? I would for sure have it relined and enjoy it.

The barrel is 26".

I have .25-35 reloading dies purchased a few years ago "just in case", but I will need to find some brass and a 100+ grain bullet mold.

SHASTA

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that one is a real beauty. love the octagonal barrel.

was reading up on the cartridge and the article said that the 60gr load was over 3000fps, so I guess it was the assault rifle of its day. Heh. I hope this is good info, it's on the internet so it must be true.

in my blissful ignorance I had no idea that any small arms were exceeding 3000fps before 1900.

Quite the history in that one.

Grizz
Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

Just got a phone message from my BIL who is a Cody Museum member and ran the serial number for me. Per Cody records, this rifle's serial number was applied June 12, 1906, and it was received in the warehouse and shipped that same year.

My online research had the rifle dated 1904, but, hey, what's a couple years when you are approaching 110 years old? :)

I'm reading good things about the reline work done by John Taylor up in Puyallup, WA. Not the least expensive, but it looks like he can reline the bore without it showing at the muzzle. That would be a big plus for me!

SHASTA

rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Wrote a whole article on my web site about inexpensive bore scopes.

Check it out here www.rvbprecision.com
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com