.44 Spl handloads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

.44 Spl handloads

Post by elmo123 »

I just picked up a new Ruger Flat Top in .44 Spl and I am looking for some general loads using the 429421 Lyman bullet.

Thanks,

Mike
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: .44 Spl handloads

Post by Old Savage »

I use 6.1 grs Red Dot or 12.5 grs of 2400.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I use 6 1/2 grs Unique. I'd like to load a load just like my medium load in magnum cases, 250 gr Lyman @ about 1000 fps. 9 grs Unique in mag cases, should be about 8 grs Uniue in spl cases to get the velocity.

I keep some of the Keith loads handy in my belt, 17 grs 2400. I dont know if the smaller frame Ruger likes that level of load or not, though they are OK in Colts and Smith 24's.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have a Taurus 431 3 inch .44spl as my main carry gun. I tried the Skeeter load of 7 1/2 grains Unique with a 240 cast swc bullet. It was not a load for everyday carry, to much recoil to get back on target, settled on 7 grains of Unique still plenty of power. I do have a bunch of the 7.5 gr loads in case I need to stop a car or truck.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The Ruger has a very slightly larger diameter cyl than the Colt, approx. .025". I would think the Colt loads would be fine. Hornady #2 lists 8.8 grs of Unique for 1000 fps in their 4 3/4" Colt. Of course, that was then and this is now.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Any of the previous three are dandy though 9 grains Unique a bit heavy. I have the same gun and anywhere between 6.5 and 7.5 of Unique will do any job the Special should be asked to do. 6.5 grains Unique is just plain perfect for 95 percent of anything I do. That being said trying different loads is half the fun. I burn a lot of 5.5 of Red Dot just because I have a bunch of it.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Been ichin to try IMR4227.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

7.0 grains of Unique is what I use. I was looking at a different powder to use since I can't find Unique. But my buddy called last night and told me he just got 20lbs of Unique in at his shop. I had him set aside 3 lbs for me.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Almost any shot gun powder will have some application in a good gun. There is plenty of metal in the cylinder for any reasonable load in full sized guns.

Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

elmo123 wrote:I just picked up a new Ruger Flat Top in .44 Spl and I am looking for some general loads using the 429421 Lyman bullet.

Thanks,

Mike
DO YOU NOT HAVE LOADING MANUALS WITH ALL THE PERTINENT PRESSURE TESTED DATA FOR THE 44SPL CARTRIDGE ? THEY HAVE BEEN AVAILABLE NOW SINCE ABOUT 1910. DOES THE NAME ELMER KEITH RING A BELL AT THIS MOMENT ?
DO YOU GIVE ANY CREDENCE TO GETTING DTTA FROM PEOPLE YOU DO NOT EVEN KNOW , MOST OF WHOM POST UNDER ALIASES. IF YOU USE LOADING DATA OFF THE INTERNET WITHOUT CHECKING IT AGAINST PRINTED---PRINTED!!!---LOADING DATA YOU ARE BEING FOOLISH IN THE EXTREME. SIR !!! BUT THEN AGAIN...THE LAST ONE OF THOSE I SAW BLOWN SKY HIGH WAS THE FELLOW MIS-WROTE THE DATA OF THE 'NET---AFTER HE'D PRINTED IT!!!---, AND RUGER GOT TO SELL ANOTHER BRAND NEW PISTOL, SO ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL.....
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Oh Lord! He's back! :(
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

mikld wrote:Oh Lord! He's back! :(
And with sound, albeit abrupt, advise.

Lyman's cast bullet handbook is the best starting source for Lyman cast bullet loads. I have a .44 Special Colt but haven't loaded for it, yet. On my .45 Colt I like 5744 due to its bulk.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Guess this is where the rest of us shutup.
Jeff Cooper
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Bullard4075 wrote:Guess this is where the rest of us shutup.
:lol:
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I have plenty of loading manuals and am quite competent when it comes to reloading. I simply wanted to exchange information with others interested in the same hobby. My mother and the nuns always told me if I didn't have anything nice to say keep quite. To those of you that offered recipes I thank you.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ah, so you didn't appreciate your lecture , :) :) Imagine that.

elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

No, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ranges from cautionary tales to personal pet loads and beyond. I tried many loads in my Model 24. All were acceptable some were very good. I checked all against several manuals. Orople come here for opinion and help. The opinion, go look it up for yourself is one approach I suppose, not the one I take.

Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

And some people come here to.. pull up a stump, have a cup, BS among friends, gather information, share a laugh, cry a little.... so on and so on. :wink: That's what I like about HERE! :D

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Bronco wrote:And some people come here to.. pull up a stump, have a cup, BS among friends, gather information, share a laugh, cry a little.... so on and so on. :wink: That's what I like about HERE! :D

John
Yer right John, except for those that have no tact, cannot add to any thread except through snarky, condescending, insulting retorts. One individual is looked upon as the "lovable old curmudgeon" that can do no wrong because of his extensive experience with firearms...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

elmo123 wrote:I have plenty of loading manuals and am quite competent when it comes to reloading. I simply wanted to exchange information with others interested in the same hobby. My mother and the nuns always told me if I didn't have anything nice to say keep quite. To those of you that offered recipes I thank you.

The 6 1/2 grs Unique loads are maybe a little higher vel than the old 246 gr factory loads. I was aiming for 850 fps with the 250 gr Lyman bullets, and use the same charge for 240 gr commercial cast bullets. When I tried some of the Keith level loads (17 grs 2400/Lyman 250 gr 429421) they shot to exactly the same point of impact as the 6 1/2 gr loads, just as Keith mentioned happened with his 44 spl 24's (then called the 1950 target).

I'd like to try some 200 gr cast, and maybe some 200 ge JHP loads in the 1150-ish fps range. Should be effective on medium varmints/defensive use without being too obnoxious recoil and muzzle blast wise. I generally find almost any load in 44, including full power 44 mags, to be more pleasont to shoot regarding muzzle blast that factory level loads in 357.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I fired some 5.0 Red Dot loads today and they shot fine. This is a pretty nice revolver and much nicer quality than some of the stuff I saw coming from Ruger in the 90's.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

elmo123 wrote:I fired some 5.0 Red Dot loads today and they shot fine. This is a pretty nice revolver and much nicer quality than some of the stuff I saw coming from Ruger in the 90's.
When I said I had the same revolver I was assuming the Lipsey limited
run Flattop in 44 Special. I think if I was to be limited to one revolver
it could very well be this one. If yours shoots like mine you will be pleased.
A gentleman on this forum supplied the grips. Fantastic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff Cooper
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

Nice grips. I saw the article in handloader when Lipsey's had the initial run but didn't try to find one. I guess Ruger realized they would sell because I bought mine from Davidson's. They also had the 5 1/2" barrel but I have always liked the 4 5/8". I had a old model 357 with a 5 digit serial number that got away years ago that I have always wanted to replace so this one will do for now.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

They are sweet shooters, I have both Bisley and plow handled versions and both 4 5/8 and 5 1/2" barrel lengths. Very accurate. Red Dot makes for some sweet shooting loads in the special.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:They are sweet shooters, I have both Bisley and plow handled versions and both 4 5/8 and 5 1/2" barrel lengths. Very accurate. Red Dot makes for some sweet shooting loads in the special.
Jeez Chuck don't go suggesting loads or you'll be beat to death with caps.
Jeff Cooper
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Ladies & gents,

Terry IS often quite abrupt, but he has the skilz:

http://gunblast.com/about_us.htm
In his former career as one of our country's most respected gun writers (he was on staff at "Handgunning" and "Peterson's Handguns" magazines) and as a ballistician for two different ammunition manufacturers, Terry has established himself as one of the foremost authorities on handguns and metallic cartridge loading; at last count, he loads for 135 different cartridges. Terry is not the least bit dogmatic about cartridges, as they all have their place in the scheme of things: each does what it can do, and no more.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

Skills are not an excuse for lack of manners.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The special is a cartridge that is easy to load and to find a load that shoots well. It would be hard to find a load that won't do well in the special. I first select a bullet with a reputation for accuracy and a powder that is listed in several load manuals and is one I stock. Then the load development is the standard start low and work up until best accuracy is found. I never push to the maximum just to get the most possible from any cartridge. If I need more power,I use a bigger gun.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:The special is a cartridge that is easy to load and to find a load that shoots well. It would be hard to find a load that won't do well in the special. I first select a bullet with a reputation for accuracy and a powder that is listed in several load manuals and is one I stock. Then the load development is the standard start low and work up until best accuracy is found. I never push to the maximum just to get the most possible from any cartridge. If I need more power,I use a bigger gun.
+1
Just havin a little fun at Terry's expense. He can take it. :P
Jeff Cooper
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

elmo123,

I agree with you. I was reminding our members that Terry has tremendous experience with reloading, and that we should consider his advice, even though he comes across as being rude.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I am sure everyone remembers the old IMR reloading pamphlets from 30 years ago, I still have a few. I had a H&R in 22 Hornet so I decided to try some of the loads with 4895 and 4350 just to see why they were listed and if they would be accurate. I remember the first few shots having to run a brush down the bore to clean the unburned powder so I could chamber another round. None of the loads worked worth a hoot but it was a learning experience and it made me wonder why a powder company would waste their time listing these loads. You can't believe everything you see listed in reloading manuals either.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

elmo123 wrote:I just picked up a new Ruger Flat Top in .44 Spl and I am looking for some general loads using the 429421 Lyman bullet.

Thanks,

Mike
See if you can access this. If not, PM you email to me.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1bZ3O ... sp=sharing
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

vancelw wrote:

Thanks,

Mike
See if you can access this. If not, PM you email to me.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1bZ3O ... sp=sharing
Thanks for posting the AA data, vancelw. I've had a couple of gifted (unopened) pounds of AA powder, #5 and #7, around here for a couple of years now. Also have a few hundred pieces of .44 special brass and some 215 gr. SWC bullets. Will use the AA data to work up .44 Spec. plinking loads for use in my 4" 629-1. Much appreciated!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.