John Taffin and I Agree

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

John Taffin and I Agree

Post by GoatGuy »

Tonight, thumbing through my January/February 2014 copy of AMERICAN HANDGUNNER, I found a "Taffin Tests" article titled "Playin' Favorites" I had somehow missed the first time around. The article relates Taffin's experience with 9mm semi-auto pistols. In it he refers to a close companion of his for several decades, the S&W 3913, stating "...it soon spent a lot of time riding in my waist belt. It's one of those rare handguns which when placed in the belt simply does not move. It stays in that same spot during whatever reasonable activity I perform. Even as I type this it is well within reach. It does not have a high-capacity magazine, however it carries just as easily, actually easier, than a 2" belly gun in .38 Special and is certainly more effective".

As I sit here typing this my 3913 is comfortably stuffed in my belted waistband, "Mexican Carry" style, how I regularly carry it much as Taffin states he carries his. It's been there since late a.m. throughout my day, including a jaunt into town to run several errands during a busy afternoon and evening there. The "comforting", as well as comfortable autoloader, is in the 8 o'clock position (I'm a lefty) and has not needed to be rearranged since being placed there some 10+ hours ago.

Just thought I would mention it here, as I took great pleasure discovering that I carry the handy, practical S&W 3913 9mm autoloader in the same way with the same comfort and ease as the esteemed John Taffin, ("Mr. Sixgunner") carries and relies on his. :wink:
Last edited by GoatGuy on Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Re: John Taffin and I Agree

Post by walks with gun »

I really like the snubby .38's, wish I had a suitcase full of them, but I to have found a smaller auto is much easier to carry and shoot, Unless maybe I was going to fire it from inside a vest or jacket pocket.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

walks with gun wrote:I really like the snubby .38's, wish I had a suitcase full of them, but I to have found a smaller auto is much easier to carry and shoot, Unless maybe I was going to fire it from inside a vest or jacket pocket.
I've never had a suitcase full of snubby .38's, but have had a bunch of them over the years. Mostly they were S&W model 36 or 49's and a couple of non-shrouded Colt det. specials. Have none of them now, never found a way to carry them comfortably. I like Inside waist carry, either holster or mexican carry. Never found a holster that seemed to fit me well, all seemed to accentuate the telltale bulge of a concealed popper, and Mexican Carry was liable to find my little snubby starting to "squirt" out of my pants if I bent just the wrong way. :o

Glad I found a perfect cc gun for me. DA/SA, stainless slide, aluminum frame, 8+1 rounds, ambi-safety and in a credible caliber with some of the "new and improved" 9mm rounds on the market today.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My AirLite, and AirWeight are supreme little carry guns.....But, I too would rather carry my little semi-auto...the LCP.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Who's this John Taffin guy...? ( :wink: )

...I'll have you know none other than Ysabel Kid agrees with me (I think), that the Para P-14 is IT, man... :D

Seriously though it is fun when you realize you came to the same conclusion on your own as an expert, without just doing it because somebody said so. Never had a 3913, but have had a couple similar ones that are just so darned handy they stick with you; kina the Leatherman Tools of the handgun world.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I started out in Law Enforcement with a revolver and shot on the pistol team with several. Then one day Glock showed up. I thought they were the ugliest thing I had ever seen. I wore the first .40 out, the only original serial number or part when the gun left was the barrel. As much as the shortfalls of the Glock it was lighter, held more ammunition, carried easier/lighter and you really couldn't break them unless it was mine. I have never owned a Glock but have numerous semi autos and carry one when the need arises. Although I would not feel under gunned with a small 5 shot J frame. I had a 640 in magnum that was too heavy and later developed severe flame cutting/erosion from use with magnums. It went back to S&W and never came back.
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

I bought a 3913 when they first came out and carried it a lot as an off duty gun. I shot quite a few IDPA matches with it as well. Once in a while I think about selling it but can bring myself to do it.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Got a Sig P 6 that fits my bulk pretty good. Has ridden many miles in a High Dessert slide on my strong side behind where my hip bone would be if I had one.....I am in shape........Round is a shape!
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

The S&W M3913 was a benchmark pistol. As far as I can remember I had the first article on it in a slick gunmag back about 1989[?] in PETERSON'S HANDGUNS.
I bought that one and still have it. And I was queer for all those other S&W 9MM pistols too....M39, M32-2,[ BEFORE] M3913, M3904, M3906,.....DANG...I just had a brainfart...can't remember the rest...phooeey.. still got 'em all excepting the original M39 that I shot to junk with a bit over 5M rounds of Canadien 9MM 115gr Hardball. That M39 frame was trashed from being incorrectly hardened after manufacturing....Maj Nonte was freaking amazed...and S&W threw a fit....long story.....
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I bought a model 39 back in the 1960`s. The first time I tried to shoot it I had a misfire. I had bought some surplus sub machine gun ammo that had too hard primers. It felt great in the hand and I cant recall why, where or when I sold it. Wouldn't mind having it back.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

I have a police trade in S&W 5903, the aluminum frame, high capacity model. A new recoil and magazine spring and now it's a keeper. For me, it's a belt holster carry piece.
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

Just remembered that I actually had two 3913s for a while. I had RH and LH IWB holsters and sometimes carried them both
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

The first center fire handgun I ever bought was a S&W 3906 (big brother to the 3913) and by all rights I should have parted with it by now but it is still here and doing duty occasionally as a carry gun. Very accurate and reliable.

I've been on the look out recently for a good deal on other 3rd generation S&W autos......specifically a 3913 or 14. They seem to be getting rare to find. I was told they were becoming collectors items but I can't say I know that.

Sig Sauer is selling a lot of small single stack 9mm and 40 S&W SA/DA auto pistols these days. There must still be a lot of merit to that mode of function in the eyes of some consumers.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Hey Terry Murbach, are you ill or feelin' poorly?
Reason I ask is that you're not POSTING IN CAPS :wink:

Never owned a 9mm S&W but have a 4506 in .45 that shoots great.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

UncleBuck wrote:Hey Terry Murbach, are you ill or feelin' poorly?
Reason I ask is that you're not POSTING IN CAPS :wink:

Never owned a 9mm S&W but have a 4506 in .45 that shoots great.
I AM JUST FINE, SIR, and thanks for asking. I did get tired of having all the new found whiners here bellyache because they thought my caps were yelling at them. I listened closely and never heard a darn thing I swear to you !! BUT, then again, us old shooter geezers are a done deaf bunch of folks.

MY S&W 4506 is a real shooter too. It has the NOVAK carry package and is as sleek as a bar of soap. I also have a 400CORBON barrel that fits it well and shoots up a storm to boot. That same 400C/B BBL also fits my S&W 645 and 745 and shoots just as well. How's that for luck of the draw !?!??!
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

TERRY: GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE DOING WELL, SIR. 8)
Sorry, just couldn't resist. :D

The S&W series of 3900-5900-4500 were really great shootin', well made pistols, although I'm sure some here will disagree.
Interesting you have a barrel that shoots 400 Corbon. I didn't know you could do that: that being said I just looked it up to find out more about it.
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but how does it compare recoil wise to 45.acp?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Just a simple observation. It appears that there are people who would still purchase a well made 9mm semi-auto in a more reasonable size than that of some of the wondernines.

I know nothing about those older S&W model 3900 series other than that they were not nearly as large as the Beretta 92. Were they single stack?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

piller wrote:Just a simple observation. It appears that there are people who would still purchase a well made 9mm semi-auto in a more reasonable size than that of some of the wondernines.

I know nothing about those older S&W model 3900 series other than that they were not nearly as large as the Beretta 92. Were they single stack?
YES THEY ARE. Most of their magazines held eight rounds. ALL of the S&W 9MM's I ever had are doggone good shooters with decent triggers and superb functionality.
At one time I had EVERY 3rd GEneration S&W pistol made in every caliber and every BBL length,[ EXCEPTING the 9MM's that had the SIG style hammer drop lever, ] in for testing. We burned cases of ammunition through ALL thoise guns without a single malfuntion of ANY type---NONE ZILCHO ZIP NADA---PERFECTION !!! I bought the 3913, the 3904, the 3906, the 4506, the 4006......and I just drew a blank from there on. All the rest were sent back to S&W dirty which elicited a call from one of their guys with a whathaeffisthis???????? question. I told him when my guns got dirty I just tossed 'em in the trash and bought new ones and since these are S&W maybe I'd let you toss 'em away....just in case you wanted to see 'em first...
And so it goes...
1894c

Post by 1894c »

tried a M&P Shield in 9mm this year (kind-of 3913-ish) but gravitated back to my Gen4 Glock 26, simply works for me and hides real well in the front pocket of my uniform pants...I haven't had a J-frame in 8-years so I have a 642 Airweight with "no internal lock" on lay-away, I simply missed owning one... :)
glock 26.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.