I could sure use a break from the rain!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

I could sure use a break from the rain!!

Post by GoatGuy »

Need to mow my pastures. The fescue grass is so tall I can't even see my new goat kids. The mama does and buck with them can barely be spotted as they move through slight breaks in the grass. Pastures are so waterlogged my tractor tires are liable to make deep depressions when I bush hog. Rain has also played havoc with my gravel driveway. Had it pretty well straightened up three weeks ago, but recent rains have washed it out in several places again.:x Rain and thunderstorms coming again tomorrow through Sunday. Will it ever end?
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Re: I could sure use a break from the rain!!

Post by EdinCT »

California could sure use it but I understand your problem. When it rains it pours!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

You ain't alone! All the reports I get from the house are the same.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

I know what you mean! It's hard to hoe the grass out of my garden in the mud. But I figure after about three more weeks the rain will be over until probably November. You know how it works in Arkansas :roll:
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Raining here in northeast OK too. Of course I'm only 40 something miles from Arkansas and 31 miles south of Kansas. I know that puts me west of MO. Sun shining here this morning but weatherman says rain by noon and a deluge Saturday and Sunday. I did get some mowing done yesterday when I would rather have been fishing. Between my yards and my sister's we mow about 5 acres but school is out so my helper is available all day now.
I wouldn't dare taking my 15' brush hog to the bottoms to mow as I wouldn't be able to get it out by Christmas.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

the local lake, dry for five years, took on 18 feet of water. At least my tanks will have water come dove season. :D
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I put fenders on my new bike
https://plus.google.com/109016132995287 ... L9aV3o5S5U
After 8 years of drought, we're happy for an El Nino year in the TX hill country
Rain can be inconvenient, but the good outweighs the bad - I have to remember how to mow my yard.

Of course the bad news, with the drought out of sight and mind, the swelling population is going to load the groundwater even greater so the next drought will be even worse.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Moore/Norman area in central Oklahoma for me ----- this is starting to get old

Although generally a rain day means a day inside for me - so not all bad

But now have a large insurance claim on my hands at my own house from hail -- broken windows, damaged vehicles, totalled roof and damaged siding --- fun stuff
----- Doug
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Here in Wyoming we NEVER complain about precipitation. NEVER.

Sure is getting tiresome, though. :lol:
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

My cousin lives north of Hugo OK and he has measured 26" of rain since May
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

GoatGuy, every spring my wife tells me not to complain because that is why the trees are so pretty now and in to the coming summer, then they turn brown.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

jnyork wrote:Here in Wyoming we NEVER complain about precipitation. NEVER.

Sure is getting tiresome, though. :lol:
Same here down Texas way, just wish them pellets big as grapefriut would soften up a bit before getting to my place . But I aint complaining!,,,DT
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Similar deal in NE Kansas. Lots of standing water around.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

harry wrote:My cousin lives north of Hugo OK and he has measured 26" of rain since May
pretty good rain, but not Texas-sized. :mrgreen:
My house got 27" overnight once.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

We get an average of 72" per year. Summer starts July 5th when the rain stops for 6-8 weeks.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

It's been a long time since I've seen the statistics, but I think our average used to be ~45" a year around here (before those cycles of drought started). The wettest I can remember was 1990 when Lake Texoma overran the emergency spillway and ran uncontrolled in the the Red River. We had ~63" that year.

So far we have had over 27" this month. That, after the rains being spaced just right all spring to keep the ground saturated.
Lake Texoma started running over the emergency spillway uncontrolled in the wee hours this morning. KXII had a live feed on it. 4th time in it's history. People are complaining about the Corps of Engineers, but they just don't understand. Without that lake's flood control abilities the Red River would flood almost every year.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

this is Texas - median only exists on paper - "cycles" never started - we've been this way since the little ice age.
Our problem will remain groundwater usage, unfortunately, a flood year is going to make everybody forget about that
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

bulldog1935 wrote:this is Texas - median only exists on paper - "cycles" never started - we've been this way since the little ice age.
Our problem will remain groundwater usage, unfortunately, a flood year is going to make everybody forget about that
"This is Texas" is not relevant. There are multiple regions in Texas, from wetlands and swamp to semi-arid grassland to desert. I know for the fist 40 years of my life the rain cycles and dry cycles were pretty regular around here. Not so the last 10 or 12.

But you are correct in saying everything changes. Libtards don't seem to understand that humans are not nearly as important as we think we are. The climate has changed/is changing/will change regardless of whether or not we are here.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I've been monitoring the rain and the rivers for my entire life.
This is nothing cosmic or geologic in scope.
It's a Texas rainy year - it's an El Nino summer.
This was 2005, about 15 cfs at Mueller falls and it would drop to 4 cfs before the summer was over
Same spot in 2007 at the end of a La Nina winter

here's the newspaper from the 1913 San Antonio flood, which wasn't as bad as the 1921 flood

in 1935 it rained 33" overnight in Goldwaite (north of Lampassas)
Here it is coming down the Colorado into Austin

The drought of the last 8 years is nothing compared to the drought of the 1950s, except that more water is being sucked out of the ground and the Texas population is projected to double every 20 years. There is no need for name calling. But what do you call people who stick their head in the sand because it rains this year but not preparing for the next drought that will kill our rivers and 20,000 sq-mi of estuaries.
Native Americans wouldn't camp overnight in the 2nd flood plain. We build Upscale neighborhoods there (and consider it the "right of capture" to dig more and more wells).

Last edited by bdhold on Sun May 24, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I'm sorry if you're a might sensitive. The Libtard remark wasn't aimed at you, but if you think it fits, go ahead and be offended. :? :?:

Comparing weather at my house to weather at your house is unrealistic. That's like comparing the weather at my house to the weather in Omaha, NE.
bullfrog1935 wrote:and the Texas population is projected to double every 20 years.
Sounds like a good reason for a fence. Draining the aquifiers is a nationwide problem. (not to mention fracking). It will all even out. Eventually the earth won't be able to support all the vermin and we will thin out.

I shake my head everytime I see a yard with auto sprinklers....I never will understand making the grass grow so you can cut it more. I've had to haul water in my life and appreciate the resources it takes to get it piped where I need it.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

the whole country is lost with name calling, crying every time there is a forest fire or a flood, and sensationalizing on the news like it never happened before.
Nobody can see past 15 days, because that is the life span of a news story.
It's time to do something. Get off butts and address the problems. Not call people names.
Turn off the tv and the talk radio (it's not news, it's entertainment aimed at getting a rise out of you) and do something.
As long as we call the right names we're doing our part? no
We need desalination, we need water pipelines - Before the next drought.