Colt to file for Chapter 11

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Colt to file for Chapter 11

Post by 765x53 »

I hadn't seen this mentioned on the forum.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/0 ... -tomorrow/
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Colt to file for Chapter 11

Post by FWiedner »

This is generally what happens when a modern company does not diversify their product lines, or broaden their customer demographic.

Colt wanted a business that was focused on being cozy with .gov contracts, and they got what they wished for.

:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

FWiedner wrote:This is generally what happens when a modern company does not diversify their product lines, or broaden their customer demographic.

Colt wanted a business that was focused on being cozy with .gov contracts, and they got what they wished for.

:?
Yep. Some of them (particularly the old ones) are nice guns, but the company got addicted to the Government Teat.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

They've re-organized more than once... I still think the .mil should be using US products... not just products produced in the US, but from companies whose profit line is invested in the US... not say, Belgium.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

This is apparently their second time too. Colt already had one spell in Chapter 11, emerging from it in 1994. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Old corporations become too top heavy. Too many fat cats sitting in corporate offices, dreaming up idiot policies to justify their existence. Smart companies invest in technology and look for a better, not cheaper, way of doing things. Too many bean counters, not enough engineers and technicians. :cry:
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Yep, what they said.

They catered to the federal and local governments and felt like civilians should be honored to buy anything with a rearing horse on it with the high price to go with it. They have made some great firearms and are a truly historical maker, but IMO they have missed the boat with the public for a few decades.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Saw this on the news at the airport. This is a shame, but when you miss payments to creditors, unless you are the US Government, you are screwed.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

They mentioned someone else possibly buying the name if they could not recover . . . Lets hope this is not another historical gun maker that goes the way of Remlin and the like . . . :? :?

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

RustyJr wrote:They mentioned someone else possibly buying the name if they could not recover . . . Lets hope this is not another historical gun maker that goes the way of Remlin and the like . . . :? :?

RustyJr
+1 :shock:
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Colt filing chapter 11 and Ruger can't build them fast enough??? Rely on the government to be your customer base when the government is controlled by liberals.... Not very smart IMHO.

Ruger just announced a new RedHawk 4" SS in .45 Colt and cut for moon clips and .45 ACP with round butt grips. Should be very popular, I will be buying one.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

I'd love to have a few Colts....but I simply can't afford them. They aren't working man's guns anymore.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Bridger wrote:I'd love to have a few Colts....but I simply can't afford them. They aren't working man's guns anymore.
haven't been in a while...I always wanted a new Colt Detective Special, I simply wanted to walk into my LGS, see it and buy it on the spot for a good price...those days are loooonnnnng gone... :)
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Colt was suppose to open a small operation in Florida in 2011 and that fell through....
they are toast...
too much competition...for the same old products....
They are manufacturing products in one of the highest taxed states...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Bridger wrote:I'd love to have a few Colts....but I simply can't afford them. They aren't working man's guns anymore.
+1
Us "little guys" have helped to keep Ruger and Taurus solvent because of their reasonable prices.