Handloading information

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Handloading information

Post by Rusty »

I saw this page referred to as it lists loads for some heavy bullets in .44 Mag. and .45 Colt.

http://www.reloadammo.com/
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Handloading information

Post by mikld »

Thanks for the link/information, but;

My thoughts I always tell new reloaders, I pay little (no) attention to any load data I hear/read from any forum expert, pet loads website, gun counter clerk, gun shop guru, or range rat. I get 98% of my reload data from published reloading manuals and an occasional trip to a powder manufacturer's site. I have been doing this exclusively since I saw a 1.0 gr. over max. load of Unique on a forum and that load stayed there for a full day. The poster came back the next day, and apologized for his poor typing, but how many new reloaders saw that load and did any try it? I know most posting load data are just trying to be helpful, but I've seen other questionable loads posted on line. I have quite a few reloading manuals and I try to keep my library up to date and have never gotten dangerous/questionable data from them...

Sorry if I interrupted this thread with my load data thoughts, just sharing a 30 year preference for reloading info... :oops:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I agree with mikid . That said,there is a bunch of useful load data out there that will rarely if ever seen in printed powder or bullet makers load manuals. The problem is trying to find two or more trusted sources that give that same recommendation before I will use that data.

mikld , sorry, my I-pad keeps changing the spelling of your handle. :evil:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I agree with miked . That said,there is a bunch of useful load data out there that will rarely if ever seen in printed powder or bullet makers load manuals. The problem is trying to find two or more trusted sources that give that same recommendation before I will use that data.
+1. Even published data gets out-of-date. And I NEVER start at the max load listed, always working up to that data after opening a new can of powder or lot of primers.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I start with a mid load then try to find a manual that matches that for that rifle. In one case even that was too hot and had to use the starting load as a max.

Actually I start with a box of factory and chronograph that to see what the cases and primers look like.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

mikid , sorry, my I-pad keeps changing the spelling of your handle. :evil:
No problem, it's a shortened Michael D., that's what my red head gal from rural Indiana called me...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Rusty, I have had the MD Smith site on favorites for a lot of years. Looking for load comparison data I usually check this site to see if I'm in the ball park. Reckon any of the sites or books can sometimes make a mistake, we just have to be careful.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Some times it's just hard to find loads for heavy bullets. He has some here.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

MD Smith data is a collection of the powder companies data no different than Lee's or loaddata.com, not some individuals newest best whiz bang stomp load. I follow the advice of Snooky Williams on levers and Elmer Keith on handguns both run the guns at the full potential of the firearm not to be confused with building a load for the oldest weakest firearm on the market. Figure out when your gun was made and load for it, buyer beware when you reload it can cost you some hide if you dont pay attention as far as new to reloading get some advice or not then if you are going to be stupid you better be tough. danny
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

BigSky , exactly, he notes in the data the few loads he has actually tested his self. I wish those guys would state their source. That said, a good library of load manuals is a very valuable and desirable thing for any handloader to have.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I generally start with starting loads in a manufacturers manual, like Alliant, ADI, Lyman, Lee's second ed. then work up from there. Some loads will max out at, or near, max book loads and others will go well beyond the book before getting best accuracy. I have had loads where I chickened out with no pressure signs, just because I was too far above the book.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.