My trip to the Darkside + real guns!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

My trip to the Darkside + real guns!

Post by gamekeeper »

Having been very pleased with my little .22 Magtech 7022 aka Mossberg 702, I decided to strip it down for a clean.
So far so good, it takes down real easy but I have never seen so much crud inside a firearm that was still working!
I had to really blast it with brake cleaner and scrub the bolt and receiver to get it clean, it was filthy.
With the help of a few videos I thought putting it back together after I lubed it would be a doddle, well it certainly isn't something I like to do If I needed the gun in a hurry.
I load a couple of mags with Remington sub sonics and Remington HV and try it out, it works but I see two spent shells and two bullet holes from one shot. Back indoors and strip it down again, can't see anything amiss so I start the reassembly, thinking now I've done it once this won't take long, mistake, it took me even longer to get the darn thing back in one piece but I was surprised how little I cussed, I must be mellowing in my old age!
This time I load up with my favorite CCI Minimags, it shoots amazingly accurate little groups but I still got a double discharge. I figure it may be a bit of crud still in the trigger mechanism, as I did not want to strip it completely down thinking the brake cleaner would blast it. :oops:
If it does not settle down I think I'll have to strip it ALL down and put ALL the parts in my local dealers ultra sonic cleaner.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My trip to the Darkside.

Post by Nath »

Auto 22's are a fiddlers dream :)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nath wrote:Auto 22's are a fiddlers dream :)

N.
I'm glad I still have my 43 year old Winchester 9422 to rely on.... :wink:
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Hey John:

For trigger mechanisms, the benchrest gang that I used to shoot with (I wasn't a regular...) always told me to use only Naptha, aka Lighter Fluid, on triggers. They said it would flush and clean out the crud and then dry, but reportedly it leaves behind a very light dry lube that isn't prone to attracting dust or dirt. As several of these shooters have set National BR Records, I've trusted their advice for years. (And most of them use "very light" 2 ounce Jewell triggers too!)

Check for a schematic online as well, as there is probably a trigger "disconnector" part that isn't functioning quite right.

Either that -- or just load up MORE AMMO into a bigger magazine and have some full-auto FUN with it!!! :wink:

Good luck.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Cleaning it... that's what probably set the doubling in motion. That cleaning firearms thing is way over-rated! :P If I'm shooting smokeless, they get shot till they won't anymore... except in the case of my 1911s... many hours being berated for filthiness hammered into me the habit of cleaning a 1911.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Darryl, I often use lighter fluid on patches for cleaning the bore, never thought of using it on triggers! 8)

Griff, you may be right the thing worked fine dirty!.. :lol:
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Someone mention auto`s? Got to show my Winchester 63. This was made right near the end of production about 1957? This has the grooved receiver for the scope. I cant explain how, but I bought it brand new in the box in the late 1980`s or so. I have made it a safe queen and it`s only had a few box's through it. I have a old scopechief on it.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Booger Bill wrote:Someone mention auto`s? Got to show my Winchester 63. This was made right near the end of production about 1957? This has the grooved receiver for the scope. I cant explain how, but I bought it brand new in the box in the late 1980`s or so. I have made it a safe queen and it`s only had a few box's through it. I have a old scopechief on it.

Nice gun Bill, my landlord has his fathers 03 that only fires Winchester Automatic, I fixed it for him when his gunsmith said it was beyond repair, the gunsmith only tried it with .22 LR.. :roll:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

gamekeeper wrote:
Booger Bill wrote:Someone mention auto`s? Got to show my Winchester 63. This was made right near the end of production about 1957? This has the grooved receiver for the scope. I cant explain how, but I bought it brand new in the box in the late 1980`s or so. I have made it a safe queen and it`s only had a few box's through it. I have a old scopechief on it.

Nice gun Bill, my landlord has his fathers 03 that only fires Winchester Automatic, I fixed it for him when his gunsmith said it was beyond repair, the gunsmith only tried it with .22 LR.. :roll:
What is the difference John? I don't know about this!

N
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nath, in 1903 .22LR were dirty with a capital D, so when Winchester brought out the original 03 semi auto they also brought out a new .22 rimfire cartridge called Winchester Automatic that was clean burning and less likely to foul up a semi auto. Winchester Automatic cartridges are bigger than .22LR so will not chamber in ordinary .22LR but .22LR will chamber in the 03 but it's not a good idea to fire them.
Later, the 03 was modified and called the mod 63 and chambered for .22LR.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The 03 I repaired originally belonged to G.H. Lewis DFC ,who flew a S.E.5A and he shot down 12 enemy planes in WW1.
He carried the 03 in the cockpit and used it when his Lewis Gun jammed.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... W1#p687778

I did get it working, there was a small burr that just needed a touch with a file. I fired a few rounds through it but due to scarcity of ammo just cleaned the bore and gave it back. Fine rifle... :wink:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My trip to the Darkside + real guns!

Post by Nath »

Thanks John, great info. 8)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I have owned a couple 03`s many years ago. The 03 had a straight stock, 63 a pistol grip. I had one that was converted to .22 LR.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Update on my plastic and aluminum .22 from Brazil. Before I stripped it down to dunk the trigger mech in lighter fluid I fired a few CCI stingers and a few mags of HV plus a couple with sub sonics without a single problem, I haven't had a chance to test it at 50 yds + yet but it sure groups well for a little four pound plastic rifle..… :D
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Aerosol carburetor cleaner is the way to go. It leaves a very slight oily residue on metal surfaces when it dries.. Brake cleaner is completely oil free, of course..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...