Scope Sighting In Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Scope Sighting In Question

Post by Blaine »

I sighted in my Leupold Scout Scope on the Ruger GunSite Scout (308) today. It was WAY off, but eventually I got it zeroed at 50 yards. Thing is, I had maxed out the scope adjustment to the left. I thought something might be cockeyed, so I removed, and remounted the scope on the Factory Installed Rail.
Now this is where my question comes in. It's exactly where I wanted it at 50 yards for a 200 yard zero. And exactly where it should be at 100 yards for a 200 yard zero.
May I assume (ugh) that since there is no windage error between 50, and 100 yards that the zero is just fine, and that the scope is correctly sighted in, and will not change windage on out to 200 yards? (No 200 yard at the gun range......)
(The factory ghost ring was sighted in perfectly at the factory.)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Scope Sighting In Question

Post by AJMD429 »

Whatever error there IS at 100 yards in terms of windage will be doubled at 200 yards, but if it is "right on" then that error must be negligible; double-negligible is probably not bad, then...

Of course don't forget you can still do what I do, and blame the Coriolis Effect for misses 'way out there' (for me, that's anything beyond 125 yards or so...) :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

If the reticle is centered over the bore, there will be no windage error at any range, except as the result of external factors.

Your issue with the windage needing such drastic windage adjustment could be due to issues with the scope, the rings, or the mount, or even the barrel or stock of the rifle. But once adjusted for a zero, it should be good at any range. If you do have a scope that is offset, like the way I mount scopes on my K31s, or the way a lot of scopes used to be side-mounted on winchester leverguns, Remington Model 8s, etc., it is a non-issue, even though people make a big deal about it. If your scope was mounted 1" to the left of the bore, for example, and zeroed at 200m, then at 400m, you are only 1 inch to the right, hardly a miss. However, if you were to find a 600m range, and zero the windage at that range, then out to 600m, you will never be more than an inch off, and that only at the muzzle, where it doesn't matter, with the POI and POA becoming closer to each other the longer the range.

So even if you had maybe 1/4" deviation, it would never affect your shooting in a practical way at any reasonable range for that rifle.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Most rifle sights/scopes only use their windage adjustment for zeroing, as (excepting for snipers, long-range varminting, and/or on seriously windy days) most changes would involve a field elevation adjustment ( actually turning an elevation adjuster, or using "Kentucky" elevation) - so I would think you're good to go, Blaine.

I would strongly suggest, however, if your scope has the common four-plex (thick & thin crosshairs) reticle, that you shoot it at distance using the point(s) where the thick/thin reticle sections are (as the aiming part of the reticle), so you'll have a sense of hold-off (Kentucky windage), or hold-over (distance/elevation change), @ 100yds and 200yds - w/o making any adjustment to the sight/scope.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Personally, I would not be happy with a scope maxed out one way and would think that it should not be required on such a rifle.

If the mounts are windage adjustable bore sight the centred reticle on a distant object.
If not swap the mounts around and see if bore sighting has changed, if so bin them!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Nath wrote:Personally, I would not be happy with a scope maxed out one way and would think that it should not be required on such a rifle.

If the mounts are windage adjustable bore sight the centred reticle on a distant object.
If not swap the mounts around and see if bore sighting has changed, if so bin them!

N.
I'm a little nervous, too.... :? The factory ghost ring is spot on, so I might use that until I sort out the scope issue.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV