Stuck Forend on TTN Coachgun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Stuck Forend on TTN Coachgun

Post by Griff »

Forend on my TTN hammer gun is stuck. Doesn't feel as tho' the latch is unlatching. I've tapped all over it with a rubber mallet... any harder and I'm afraid I'll crack the timber. Haven't tried prying up on it, might crack the wood... not a good thing!

Any hints, anyone?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Stuck Forend on TTN Coachgun

Post by gamekeeper »

I have had that happen with similar designed catches, try it with the action closed and with the action opened, I found that holding the catch open and gently prising it usually was enough to free the fore end.
I hate giving advice that could result in a damaged gun, so my advice ends at gently!!
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

But good advice that was Gamekeeper! Left the latch open and gently opened the action. The forend popped off with no apparent damage. Thank you. I'd shot the gun in a match yesterday... and it had about 20 rounds of my BP cartridges thru it since previously shot, cleaned & put away in the safe. From now on, I'll include adding a dab of grease to the catch before putting away.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'm glad it worked, my only other suggestion was to fire a couple of boxes of 3" magnum shells and shake it loose..... :?
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm glad you got 'er up and running. My suggestion involved an M-80. Vance showed me that trick. :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I put a dab of lithium grease on the latch and tenon, as well as the hinge and knuckle.. Have never had a problem with it.. Mine is from the second lot imported to the US, and has seen a lot of use, including heavy, 3" buckshot and slug loads.. it still locks up smooth and tight. I also pared a lot of excess wood off the stock and for end, so it looks a lot more like the Colt originals. Did some extensive trigger work and reshaped the guard...

it's my handy bear gun now..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...