Nice fat little doe - too easy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Nice fat little doe - too easy

Post by AJMD429 »

My son makes a science of deer hunting - he knows how many deer are in the square mile surrounding his hunting area, and which ones are harvest candidates this year, next year, and beyond. He has the latest and best gear, takes a de-scenting bath, and changes clothes once in the woods-edge. He hunts different stands depending on the weather, moon, and wind. He routinely sees 20 deer he doesn't shoot because they aren't the 'right' ones.

Me on the other hand - I go out yesterday with my ordinary yard work clothes on, including a jacket smelling of diesel fuel, just to check the stands we've got up, and see which one 'feels right'. My son had a set of recommendations based on the time of day I wanted to hunt, but I wanted to see which one felt best (including non-deer factors such as ease of climbing for an old guy), and I set out yesterday just to figure out what stand to hunt from today. I noisily hiked to one stand, found it too rickety for my taste (I'm kind of a chicken about such things), hiked to the next one, and it was too high a hill for me to want to repeat at 5:00 a.m., but climbed in and enjoyed the view for a bit. Went down another ridge, checked another stand, and liked it, but it just didn't 'feel right', so I meandered back down to the "worst stand of all" which I keep up to date, and do usually get a deer from it when I get time to hunt. Climbed in it, and jiggled one of the metal clamp things, and made a bunch of noise, so I hung my rifle on the side of the stand while I fiddled with the clamp. Then a whole 'herd' of deer comes down the valley (4 does, one fawn), and seems oblivious to my presence, which is all the more interesting since I am clearly upwind of them. I figure what the heck, so I turn around, quit fiddling with the clamp, and retrieve my levergun. It is a Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag, and un-chambered, so I have to rack a round into place (not gently, either, for that particular gun requires 'aggressive handling' not to jam), and get seated. The deer are still oblivious.

All but the biggest one drift towards a trail leading away from me, making a right-angle turn about 75 yards out, and I decide against any shots at that angle. I un-chamber and hang my gun up again, waiting to let the deer pass before I climb down from the stand, but the biggest one decides to part from the herd and come down the trail in front of me, and the others turn around and start following. Once again, I pick up the gun and re-chamber it, and wait to see what nature has planned for all of us.

The biggest one finally is about 65 yards in front of me, broadside, and I take the shot, having to aim four inches high due to a branch. I hit four inches high, and the doe runs about 50 feet then does the dead-bug thing with legs up in the air and wiggling. It managed to run the 50 yards in the right direction to be exactly where I can drive the tractor.

No big-buck for me this time, but some good meat, and some evolutionary 'education' for the deer population (eliminated a not-very-careful one from the gene pool) - it doesn't get easier than this.... :D

The ACOG sight worked PERFECTLY...!

I posted on that sight earlier, and would comment that none of the 'lines' on the reticle really come into play in my hunting situations, but the bright reticle, its unique shape, and the supremely clear optics and compact size make it better than any other low-magnification scope I've ever used.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Nice fat little doe - too easy

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Congrats!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Better lucky than good! :wink: :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Good shooting, Doc! I'm reading of your adventure while eating back strap butterflies skillet fried to a crisp edged goodness. This backstrap is from the buck of my post and surprisingly is tender enough to cut with the side of your fork. You should have even better meat from that doe! Congrats indeed!
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Congrats! I was once more like your son, no more, I climb trees less, just try to watch the wind and relax.
What bullet do you use in the 44?
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Old guy hunting. :mrgreen:

Proving that experience and luck are often better than all the science and planning in the world. Enjoy the eats.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

EdinCT wrote:Congrats! I was once more like your son, no more, I climb trees less, just try to watch the wind and relax.
What bullet do you use in the 44?
240 gr JSP. Often Winchester 'white box' factory loads.

ALWAYS punches clear through, never more than a 5-10 second dash before the crash.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Not to derail your thread, but here's what I see when the shot flies true..Image
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Congratulations , should be fine eating!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Not having grown up learning how to "hunt", I follow the instincts & training beaten into me by UnkaSugar... Walk Point, see enemy, shoot them.

Not much gear involved in that method of Hunting (and it annoys the " real Hunters ") but it works for this grunt and his wallet.

Fat, easy, brown and down is best IMO.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!