Colt M16A2 Model 701.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Colt M16A2 Model 701.

Post by cshold »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Colt M16A2 Model 701.

Post by Blaine »

That's just stupid.... :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

BlaineG wrote:That's just stupid.... :roll:
No, it's just some guy looking for that fellow that born every minute. He'll likely find him, too.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Personally, I'd rather have a semi-auto anyway....

If full-autos weren't so regulated, and therefore so valuable to sell instead of fiddle with - and if I had one - I'd probably be "modifying" it to fire semi-auto instead of full-auto..... :lol:

Three-shot burst would be kind of cool though....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Is there some historical significance to THAT particular firearm?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Griff wrote:Is there some historical significance to THAT particular firearm?
I wonder what they paid Colt for them.
I also wonder how many they've sold at this price.

"These machine guns were purchased from Colt just before the May 1986 ban. These very rare M16 A2 black rifles machine guns are the last of their kind, available for purchase and transfer to you. These M16s are 100% mint. Never circulated in the public or private sector. These guns have not been part of anyone’s collection. They are the newest Colt M16A2 rifles you can legally own, direct from Colt. They come in a Colt factory box with the Colt M16 accessory pack. You will never find these transferable firearms again, new from the Colt Manufacturing factory."
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

As very few M-16 A-2's were ever made as transferable, it's entirely possible that seller bought that
gun from Targetmaster as my bud has had more than a few for sale. They currently have several A-2's on the showroom floor including a Colt 9mm SMG. Price on the 9 is 25K and the A-2's are 30.

These guns do make sense as viable purchases. There is a finite number of transferable machine guns in the US of A and values increase a whole lot more than any 401K plan. The receiver is the "machine gun" and you can take one of these M-16's and shoot the living heck out of it.....beat the parts up....wear out the barrel....throw it around.....and as long as the bare receiver holds up, you can rebuild it over and over again and reap a huge increase in profit when you decide to sell it.

There's no sense in me buying one as I can shoot them all I want for free but in reality, once you shoot several thousand rounds, you have had enough.....it gets old fast.

As for the price that these guns sold for, when new, was probably about $400. Class 3 dealers can buy truckloads of non transferable machine guns for a little over a thousand today.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Agreed.......if it wasn't for the 86 ban, this rifle would be, shockingly.........just a rifle.

I've shot thousands of rounds through M16A1s, mostly M16A2s, M4/M4A1 carbines on semi, burst and full auto. Except for very special circumstances, 99% of the time you'll never catch me with one on the group therapy setting if the rifle has it. It's nice having the option, and there ARE times when it can be handy. But nowhere near as much as most people think.

If you want effective full auto, make it in a controllable SMG (MP5, Uzi) or a belt fed, ground mounted or truck mounted.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Sixgun wrote:As very few M-16 A-2's were ever made as transferable, it's entirely possible that seller bought that
gun from Targetmaster as my bud has had more than a few for sale. They currently have several A-2's on the showroom floor including a Colt 9mm SMG. Price on the 9 is 25K and the A-2's are 30.

These guns do make sense as viable purchases. There is a finite number of transferable machine guns in the US of A and values increase a whole lot more than any 401K plan. The receiver is the "machine gun" and you can take one of these M-16's and shoot the living heck out of it.....beat the parts up....wear out the barrel....throw it around.....and as long as the bare receiver holds up, you can rebuild it over and over again and reap a huge increase in profit when you decide to sell it.

There's no sense in me buying one as I can shoot them all I want for free but in reality, once you shoot several thousand rounds, you have had enough.....it gets old fast.

As for the price that these guns sold for, when new, was probably about $400. Class 3 dealers can buy truckloads of non transferable machine guns for a little over a thousand today.----6
That's a fact :) "values increase a whole lot more than any 401K plan."
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I've known this guy who grew upon my area who was obsessed with guns...(something like me) and while his likes and mine were 180 degrees....I like fine condition antiques and he liked the modern "assault style" guns. Over the years as our collections grew, I stayed with what I know and he progressed to machine guns. He even turned his inheritance into a gunshop.

Last time I talked to him...about 10 years ago, he put together a machine gun collection of 25 guns....big bucks as he was making a 10-20% increase a year in value as the late eighties and nineties, prices skyrocketed with class 3 guns. He had a dozen M16's, registered auto sears, Uzi's, Thompsons, MP 5's, others I don't remember and even a Ma Deuce 50 and an ultra rare Stoner 63. Life was good.

The reason I have not talked to him in about 10 years is because he was living in this place called the "Big House". Seemed like his legal machine guns were getting boring and he ventured into illegal hand grenades and sold some to an undercover ATF agent. Dope. He lost everything he ever owned.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

AJMD429 wrote:Personally, I'd rather have a semi-auto anyway....

If full-autos weren't so regulated, and therefore so valuable to sell instead of fiddle with - and if I had one - I'd probably be "modifying" it to fire semi-auto instead of full-auto..... :lol:

I had a platoon SGT. in Viet Nam tell me that if he heard me shooting full auto that he would shoot me himself. Never saw the attraction to bustin' off 20 or 30 rounds when you didn't know where 90% of them went.......jes sayin' 3 shot burst is kinda cool though
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

AJMD429 wrote:Personally, I'd rather have a semi-auto anyway....

Yea, three shot would be cool, but if you want to keep someone's head down a bit of auto fire will do that.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The 3 shot sounded like a good idea, but I think it really messes up the trigger pull for semi.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

That, and the gloriously inefficient design that went into the M16 not only messes with the semiauto trigger, it can not reliably deliver 3 rounds for every burst.

Pretty regularly it will shoot 3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 1, 3, 3, 2, 1, 3.....

Whatever doesn't go off on the initial "supposed to be three" burst will followup on the next trigger pull, so you never exactly know what you'll be getting.....

After 30+ years the .mil figured out we've trained our people enough to not do full auto mag dumps except when they really, really, really need it and the new M4A1 has full auto back. About time.