Thanks Rita! -- new Ruger levergun!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Thanks Rita! -- new Ruger levergun!

Post by Streetstar »

Ruger #1 45/70 -- and yes, it does have an under-lever - :lol:
Rita is my wife's name and she gifted me a modest Cabela's gift card --- i was there looking for some mud boots but saw this at a "not-too-insane-for-Cabelas" price

In my area, i've seen perhaps 2 or 3 of these in captivity in 45/70. I have never fired one, but always admired their handsome appearance , -- i had to put it in layaway ---

The lighting is not great - the butt and forend are actually the same color, but i was impressed with the figure in the buttstock --

I feel like i may need to procure a tweed shooting jacket, a pair of spats , and a nice' hat before i take to the field with this :) :) - like a proper English gent

It will join my Guide Gun and T/C Encore pistol in my 45/70 battery ---- sadly i saw a MArlin 45/70 CB at another shop new also, - (havent seen one of those in years either) -- not a crazy price -- most on gunbroker and the like are asking more than retail for them

Oh well. I've fancied a #1 for a long time --- a MArlin CB can wait a bit

----- Doug
Ysabel Kid

Re: Thanks Rita! -- new Ruger levergun!

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Can Rita talk to my wife? :D

Congrats!!!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Can Rita talk to my wife? :D

Congrats!!!

Hah! I give her all the props as she instituted this process ! But the underside of the story is when i was driving home from the shop this evening i texted her that same pic and when i walked through the door she said -- "Did you buy another darn gun?- I thought you were going to buy some snow boots !! "

I explained to her how i have been casually looking for one of these for 20 years , but our local stealership had one at the same time as her gift to me so it was fate - plus new boots will last 2-5 years, and this will be passed down to the next generation (this didnt register)

She then went back to the conversation with her mother where she was complaining about me ------- but , -- i intercepted some bed linens that were in the dryer and since it was close to bedtme anyway - i made the bed (A guys gotta sleep too ) --

You should have seen the change in tone when she saw i made the bed on my own -- it was a night and day difference ! -- For me , there was no subterfuge - i saw a stripped bed, - i saw linens in the dryer, and i saw her on the phone --- so i shrugged my shoulders and made the bed - 2 minutes tops --- but that turned on the heart light i guess - no more complaints about an extra firearm - i got a big hug thanking me for doing something and she called her sister to tell her that i was a sweetheart

-- I dont get it. From a near outcast to the Belle of the Ball in 10 minutes

Oh well, -- she's a sweetheart

----- Doug
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Great rifle, and a great wife! 8) Fortunately for us, it is indeed the little things that we do for them that makes life so much easier on us. :D
NRA Life Member
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Streetstar,
Wow, and she wears the right sweatshirt too. That's where I graduated back in '86. Same class as Thurman Thomas.

Will you scope it or add a receiver sight? I would consider a tang sight if it were mine.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice. Those Rutgers are a thing of beauty, paired only by the beauty of our female partners. :D
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations twice....... :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

The butt stock has an eye lookin at us
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Nice rifle and a lucky guy, wonderful wife.

You will like your new rifle. I owned a 375 H&H Tropical many years ago. I'm busy kicking myself for selling it If you could see me! They are STRONG rifles so you can load coyote to elephant with that rifle. Mine had an incredibly long throat. I loaded 235 gr Speers to just touch the rifling and this left only a tiny bit of bullet in the case. One trick is to carry a couple of cartridges on your forearm wrist in a band or glove/mitt. I could cycle as fast as a bolt after practice. It also had a Williams receiver sight and made an outstanding stalking rifle in the European tradition.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations. I love me #1. I have a .308 but I could see a few others being welcome too. I'd like a .45-70 and a .223 to make thing complete. You might want to consider a Leupold scope if you're going to use one. Leupolds seem to offer a longer eye relief than anyone else making them a better fit on a Number 1 unless you want to go to set back rings.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

M. M. Wright wrote:Streetstar,
Wow, and she wears the right sweatshirt too. That's where I graduated back in '86. Same class as Thurman Thomas.

Will you scope it or add a receiver sight? I would consider a tang sight if it were mine.
Cool ! 1997 for me

Rita is a bigger Cowgirl than i am a Cowboy - LOL -- She is completely looking forward to the NEw YEars Day Sugar Bowl ---

But for the rifle , i think i will box up the rings and try it open sights first ---- If that doesnt work out like i would like, -- i will likely end up with one of the small bell Leupold 2-7x optics. I cant find them new, but i'm sure i could turn one up on Gunbroker or a similar site

I have had great results with the light for caliber 325 gr FTX stuff in my Guide Gun and Encore pistol , so i will try those first ---I dont have a genuine need for a load any hotter than that, -- but knowing i can dial up some loads with some serious pop behind them is nice --- i dont handload for the Guide due to the multiple kabooms i have seen out of that rifle due to the thin receiver/barrel interface -- not the case with this one

Although there is a conundrum -- if i am hunting something that would require more than a factory 45/70 load ,-- i personally would want a repeater . Thats the exact reason i didnt get the .375 H&H No. 1 that was on the shelf along with this one, as i seriously thought about making it a two-fer, as i have always wanted a 375 H&H for some reason

What say you guys' --- my reasoning for not getting the H&H #1 was in that caliber and for the size and type of game you may hunt with one, would you guys' want a bolt rifle or would you feel comfortable with a single shot?

I have been told that with a buttstock or wrist mounted cartridge carrier they can be loaded pretty fast though -- i guess i will find out fairly soon and be better able to make that decision on my own :)
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Canuck Bob wrote:Nice rifle and a lucky guy, wonderful wife.

You will like your new rifle. I owned a 375 H&H Tropical many years ago. I'm busy kicking myself for selling it If you could see me! They are STRONG rifles so you can load coyote to elephant with that rifle. Mine had an incredibly long throat. I loaded 235 gr Speers to just touch the rifling and this left only a tiny bit of bullet in the case. One trick is to carry a couple of cartridges on your forearm wrist in a band or glove/mitt. I could cycle as fast as a bolt after practice. It also had a Williams receiver sight and made an outstanding stalking rifle in the European tradition.

Hah ! -- I didnt read this before i posted my reply above --- i was wondering how quickly you could reload in the real world ---
The store's price on the H&H rifle was $200 more than the 45/70 though --- i checked the nationwide Gun Gallery as well and there seems to be a few H&H's in there nationally at prices less than my Oklahoma City store had them for .
I asked if they could deal on one (the 375) to match a price another store had one for and the salesperson started in on a song and dance about profit margins and purchase prices - etc.
I wanted to stop the guy right there and tell him if Cabelas has a rifle marked for 1100 bucks, that means they may have bought it for $500 max from some poor widow selling her husbands collection - but i held my tongue as there are plenty of rifles out there
----- Doug
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Given some practice you would be surprised how fast you can run that single shot.

Years ago Jr. was about 12 or 13 ( maybe he can correct me) he used to venture out on our property with his single shot H&R 12 ga. He had already read the stories by Elmer Keith about using a Ruger No.1 and holding extra shells between your fingers. He happened upon a foxes den where there were 3 or 4 kits playing outside. He made ready with the shells in his fingers. I was in the house doing something when I heard 3 rapid fire shots that came so fast that sounded like they came from a pump gun. I went outside and he told me what he had done. To this day, I'm still impressed.

Go forth and do likewise. :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

gamekeeper wrote:Congratulations twice....... :mrgreen:
Ditto!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

What's that orange thing where the trigger is supposed to be?
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Nice rifle! Nice wife too!!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Tycer wrote:What's that orange thing where the trigger is supposed to be?
That's the "cotton-headed, ninny-muggin" cover.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Friend of mine has used a Ruger No .3 in .45-70 for years as one of his two primary hunting rifles.

He has never needed a second shot, with irons.

Seeing what it does to a hog is impressive.
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

"I feel like i may need to procure a tweed shooting jacket, a pair of spats..."

Or maybe thorn torn, sweat soaked khakis and discover the source of the Nile, slightly out of time but close enough for day dreams.