Marlin's Cowboy Conversion

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin's Cowboy Conversion

Post by El Mac »

I'm interested in sending off my old Glenfield off to Marlin to have it converted to a "Cowboy" 24" barrel... One of the decisions I face now is to whether I stay with the .30-30 or switch to a .38-55. I like the idea of a bigger bullet although I also like the idea of the availability of off the shelf ammo for the .30-30.

Although I'm not set up to reload currently, I will be soon enough.

If I switch to .38-55, what are the pros/cons? Are there any hidden things about that round I need to know about?

Thanks!
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

You really need to reload to get much from the 38-55. Factory loads are loaded pretty anemic. Bullet supply is limited and expensive when it comes to jacketed. Getting brass used to be a chore but the addition of starline to the manufacturers list and the recent run of winchester should keep that from being a problem short term. If you shoot cast, there are a lot of makers out there in about any size up to .381. Of course if you cast yourself, there are lots of molds that work well for it. You'll need to slug the bore right off to find which bullets will work. It will limit your range a bit as compared to 30-30 but not that much.

That's the drawbacks, other than that, it's a fine cartridge. The larger bullet has a big edge on larger game than deer.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well El, 30-30 would seem to be the way to go unless you really want a 38-55. Ammo costs etc. ....
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If you reload, I'm pretty sure you might be able to use .375 Win brass in a .38-55 chamber, as long as no higher-pressure, factory .375 Win loaded ammo was used.
Just use the stronger brass with .38-55 lead slugs/loads.

I had an early .375 M94BB, that chambered & fired .38-55 factory ammo easily, which I used as a subload.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I love the .38-55 but given the HUGE Marlin groove diameters (.381" is NOT what they should be) I'd opt for the .30-30. Besides, .30-30 CBs are hard to come by, harder to find I think than the factory produced .38-55s.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I agree with Buffboy.

I will add that the trajectory of the 38-55 is much steeper than the 30-30, which means more difficulty in hitting your intended target at 150 and 200 yards will be bit more challenging and knowing the actual yardage will become critical "sooner" than with the 30-30.

Also consider that by adding 4" to a 30-30 barrel, you are adding about 100 fps or so to the velocity of the round, and if you use the Hornady leverrevolution rounds, you add some more - this becomes a very capable deer round at 250 yards.

That is to say - how will you use this rifle? Is this an issue?

If all of your shots are at 100 yards or closer, then the 38-55 will be a grand cartridge for you.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
MikeNV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MikeNV »

After fumbling around with the .38-55 for a couple of weeks and finally finding the right load, I really like this round. This last year I took an Antelope at 147yds I had about 20" of penetration (8-10" being spine bone) and exit on the opposite side. Needless to say I was impressed as I only had the 245gr bullet traveling at high 1300s-low 1400s fps. so recoil is quite mild.

However, factory ammo for the 38-55 is high priced (about 3x the price of 30-30 ammo) and that is if can find it, so unless you are ready to jump in to reloading this should be a big consideration.

If this is a secondary hunting rifle (you already have another hunting rifle) then I would say go with the 38-55, but if this is going to be your primary hunting rifle go with the 30-30, ammo is less expensive, you can find 30-30 ammo generally anywhere they sell ammo (walmart, walgreens, any sporting goods store, any hardware store that still sells ammo)
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

El Mac, I have an original 336CB and a conversion, both in 30-30. I have another donor gun to send in for conversion. I considered the 38-55 but I would have to have new dies, brass, bullet mold, crimp die................So I decided that I would settle for another 30-30, keeping the original for cast, conversion 1 for jacketed bullets and I may scope conversion 2. 30-30 brass is readily available ANYWHERE as are factory ammo.

TomF
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

TomF wrote:El Mac, I have an original 336CB and a conversion, both in 30-30. I have another donor gun to send in for conversion. I considered the 38-55 but I would have to have new dies, brass, bullet mold, crimp die................So I decided that I would settle for another 30-30, keeping the original for cast, conversion 1 for jacketed bullets and I may scope conversion 2. 30-30 brass is readily available ANYWHERE as are factory ammo.

TomF
I take it you like the CB conversions then!?