Buying/Anyone Loading Black Powder

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Buying/Anyone Loading Black Powder

Post by David »

I'm really fond of the Remington 1890's so while I typically have at least 20-30 bids in's at auctions all the time I tossed a bid at a repo (I don't remember who's 1890, it's a real old one they aren't in business anymore) anyhow I took it home for $105 bucks LNIB but it's never been shot. Anyhow it's in 357 which I thought was good since if I wanted "normal" ammo I could just toss 38 specials in there as well. I typically don't shoot much over a 9mm since I've had 3 surgeries piecing my right wrist back together (as well a 8 putting my spine back as well, don't fall 4 stories it sucks) Anyhow....

So I've got a great holster for it as well and I just thought for grins this would be fun to shoot with some black powder loads, that's where the part comes in where my mom says I'm so cheap I squeak. Darn does anyone other then Buffalo Arms sell black powder ammo or is there a black powder reloader on this site? I mean I don't need a lot of ammo but darn that stuff's pricey. I used to reload when I was a kid all that stuff is gone, don't want to again, and I suspect black powder is a whole different animal.

Buffalo Arms and bite the bullet or ?

thanks,
David

I've included a picture of some real ones just for grins, I've been a collector for a long time, it doesn't get much better then these, 1890, 1875's, 1888's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Buying/Anyone Loading Black Powder

Post by Pete44ru »

Once upon a time, I ran across an article, for BP gallery loads, in a gun rag (Guns of the Old West), that used plain lead round balls & required no loading tools - so, I just dropped 15gr of FFg Holy Black into re-primed cases, topped by commercial .457" & .375" RB's.

Both worked just fine, at close/gallery range - but required a deep BP cleaning of the internal lockwork after every shooting session.

David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Pete44ru wrote:.

Once upon a time, I ran across an article, for BP gallery loads, in a gun rag (Guns of the Old West), that used plain lead round balls & required no loading tools - so, I just dropped 15gr of FFg Holy Black into re-primed cases, topped by commercial .457" & .375" RB's.

Both worked just fine, at close/gallery range - but required a deep BP cleaning of the internal lockwork after every shooting session.

Time to google more, I have a "hand" measure made of brass or something I use that to load M80's with a potassium nitrate and German black 400 mesh aluminum load, Have a friend who reloads he's just scared to death of BP, I mean with a hand load of powder I just don't see what's so scary about seating a bullet.

I would of course prefer to find someone who loads BP on here that isn't charging $1 a round.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

David: Where you at, son?
That is some mighty handsome iron right there. I have long admired the Remingtons, but never owned any other than the 1858s.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

If the load expands the case properly, theres no reason to do a "deep black powder cleaning" and taking the lock all apart. I don't think ive ever taken my percussion guns apart to clean yet, and never had trouble with the 44 spl Colt SAA when shooting black in it. If the insides are oiled, whatever small amount of stuff that may get in it just makes black sludgely stuff over time, though I haven't had much of that, and as its oil, isn't causing trouble.

Shouldn't be any reason to fear black to load. Its pretty simple and forgiving in use, and quite stable if you don't introduce fire to it.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd be tempted to just use one of these (in 357 Mag or 38 Spl):

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/702138 ... 357-magnum

I'd probably use a brass dipper (to avoid static electricity), perhaps something like a 9mm Luger case, once I figured out the needed powder dose.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Like Pete alluded to. Using a reprimed case, just fill it with BP until there's just enough room to press in a .375 ball. 3F powder for more velocity and a cleaner burn, 2F if you just wanna make some noise and smoke; (tho' I'd not advise pointin' it anything you didn't want to kill)!

You ain't lookin' for target accuracy, right? You'd be surprised at the low SD numbers even such a primitive measure will give over smokeless. I wouldn't worry about even using a plastic scoop, even homemade to get a bit more consistency in the amount of powder. I've been loading BP for well over 40 years in cartridges, shotshells and in muzzleloaders for longer. In all my cartridge & shotshell loading I use the same powder measures I've used for smokeless. Static electricity setting off BP is an urban legend... doable, but has to be specifically rigged.

Like I said, fill the case leaving enough room from the round ball to seat just beyond the widest part of the round ball... then, after seating the ball, take the cartridge and roll the mouth against a firm surface to function as your crimper. It'll only take enough to keep the ball from fallin' out.

For even more fun, smoke and flame... use .357 cases!!! Same method. Trust me, you can't get enough powder in there to get anywhere "high" pressure. If you're worried about the priming... I believe you can still find primed cases.

Enjoy... you might find you like it! And cleanup in a snap. I tear down my competition guns about once a year... for my SAAs, I just take out the cylinder, run hot water thru all the holes, same with the barrel (from inside the frame, having removed the ejector rod and housing), run a few mops or wet patches thru all the holes; then dry and re-oil like any you would after any other cleaning. Takes even less time than cleaning after a smokeless shooting session, as I've never found lead in my barrels requiring some scrubbing.

Oh yeah, if you have a moderately well stocked muzzleloading shop near you, you can find .360 balls. but, either will work. The .375 will squeeze thru your .357 bore just fine...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

Thanks David for a particularly interesting and informative post. New range rules require that I can no longer use "nitro" to load my 45-70, black powder is allowed however. I'll give it a try in my stainless XLR Marlin. Responses indicate that clean up is not as bad as I thought it might be.
Cheers Mark
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Bill in Oregon wrote:David: Where you at, son?
That is some mighty handsome iron right there. I have long admired the Remingtons, but never owned any other than the 1858s.
I'm in Illinois, even 20+ years ago when I started collecting Colts were to expensive and I love this one TOO COMMON, heck you can go to any gun show and pick up 20 Minty Colts (if you have the money). I mixed in with a old crowd of collectors who said don't buy 12 brown guns buy the best gun you can't afford, it's worked our extremely well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

David wrote:I'm in Illinois, ...
Next time I'm thru the house, I'll load up some .38 cases with BP and a 158 RN bullet I cast, and put a box in my truck... next time I'll thru IL, hopefully, (and you ain't in any flame fired rush), I'll be close enough that we can meet up. Heck, I'll be coming thru IL from St. Louis to Paducah later this coming week, but won't be thru the house yet.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Anyone who uses plastic gunpowder loading tools (like powder funnels & the Lee powder scoops) can avoid static electricity & it's inherent property of powder "sticking" to the plastic via the simple expedient of dipping the plastic tool into common dishwashing detergent (Dawn, Lysol, etc), and shaking off the excess before letting the plastic air dry - which leaves a non-static coating on the plastic.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pete44ru wrote:Anyone who uses plastic gunpowder loading tools (like powder funnels & the Lee powder scoops) can avoid static electricity & it's inherent property of powder "sticking" to the plastic via the simple expedient of dipping the plastic tool into common dishwashing detergent (Dawn, Lysol, etc), and shaking off the excess before letting the plastic air dry - which leaves a non-static coating on the plastic.
The only static I've found with plastic poudre measure is that small amount that causes poudre to cling to the sides when you pour it out. Mostly the flake powders. Wiping the plastique with a drier tissue will do almost as well.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I just noticed how those Colts have so much more room between the grip and trigger guard versus the Rugers. I like that.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote:I just noticed how those Colts have so much more room between the grip and trigger guard versus the Rugers. I like that.
"Those Colts" are Remingtons! :twisted: :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

You know Griff, after he shoots Black he will be a convert to the Holy propellant.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Lefty Dude wrote:You know Griff, after he shoots Black he will be a convert to the Holy propellant.
Aye. Not an altogether bad thing.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

A .357 case full of Black under a 158 Keith has about as much recoil as a .38... Shoots just about the same too.

Use good clean 3F, lightly compressed, and you should have very little fouling issues.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!