Going Big Bore.........Quietly......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Going Big Bore.........Quietly......

Post by MrMurphy »

https://silencerco.com/summit/big-horn/

The team at Big Horn Armory, the nation’s leading premium lever action rifle maker, prides themselves on continuing the rich legacy of all-American firearms. Honoring the long tradition of sporting rifles, Big Horn’s dedicated team owns the design and manufacturing process from start to finish to ensure only the highest quality products. Pairing modern CNC manufacturing with traditionalist woodworking, this exclusive Summit Package features a premium Big Horn Model 90 chambered in .460 Smith & Wesson and a Summit Edition matte black Hybrid silencer enclosed in a custom, handcrafted leather scabbard that accommodates the rifle silencer attached. This platform can fire .460 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, or .45 Long Colt with no modification, delivering consistent reliability, dependability, and downrange performance against all types of North American game with these straight-walled cartridges. This beautiful western themed package provides customers with a unique collector’s piece that has unquestionable utility on the range.

Alternative ammunition was tested at our R&D facility:
Federal .460 300gr Swift A-Frame | 139.9 dB
Hornady 45 Colt 225gr FTX | 127.9 dB
Hornady 454 Casull 300gr XTP Mag | 138.1 dB

Big Horn Armory Model 90 Chambered in .460 Smith & Wesson [Alternate : .45 Long Colt, .454 Casull]
9.5” Picatinny Scout Scope Mount in Matte Hunter Black Finish
Aperture Rear Sight & Blade Front Sight
18” Barrel Threaded in 5/8×24
17-4 Stainless Steel Action
American Walnut Stock
Matte Hunter Black Metal Finish
Summit Edition Matte Black Hybrid
Matching Summit Engraving on Model 90 & Hybrid
American-Made, Custom Leather Scabbard Accommodates Rifle with Attached Silencer
Horse-Ready Scabbard Can Be Shouldered or Used in Conjunction with Saddle (Horse Not Included)
Matching Summit Branding on Scabbard
Only (25) Limited-Edition Packages Available

Visit Big Horn Armory for more information on the Model 90.
Winding Wheel Custom Leather Scabbard

Our sleek, custom rifle scabbard was made by Winding Wheel Supply Co., a company founded in Salt Lake City, UT, by a third-generation Yugoslavian immigrant whose heritage instilled in him an appreciation for hard work, perseverance, and pride of craft. This scabbard is 100% handcrafted in the United States using a combination of the highest quality materials available—premium, full grain, vegetable tanned USA cowhide, solid brass rivets, and industrial grade polyester thread—everything about this case is first-class and built to last. The leather is hand cut, the edges are thoughtfully rolled, beveled and burnished, the solid brass rivets are vigorously hammered, the logos are ethically seared by hand onto the hide, and all stitching is meticulously done by hand to ensure precision and durability. This rifle case is ready for hunting, riding, or day use at the range for generations to come.

This package is available exclusively through Black Wing Shooting Center.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Going Big Bore.........Quietly......

Post by Griff »

Congrats! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Teaser!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

That would cover a lot of bases....from a bear/elk/moose gun all the way down to whitetail, and the option of making it non-deafening would be a real plus...!

Unfortunately, it seems like bolt-guns often come with the option of a threaded muzzle, for either a suppressor, or even just a crown-protector in the form of a birdcage flash-suppressor, but leverguns seldom offer this option from the factory, so you're stuck with an expensive barrel-removal, threading, and re-install. Plus, the tubular magazines are often extended to the muzzle, so they need shortened and re-mounted as well.

The BEST part of their advertisement is:
Horse-Ready Scabbard Can Be Shouldered or Used in Conjunction with Saddle (Horse Not Included)
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

SWEET ! !

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I'd have a bit more use for a gun that can chamber three power levels of ammo than one massive round "all the time"......especially around here.

.45 Colt for small game and fun shooting, .454 for hogs, deer and other stuff I want to be sure of, .460 for trips back east or up north where larger critters are an option, or elk in close.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Hope they build mine, ordered and paid for in full Dec 2014 before they start these 50. Probably not much chance, but one can always hope.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

MrMurphy wrote:I'd have a bit more use for a gun that can chamber three power levels of ammo than one massive round "all the time"......especially around here.
.45 Colt for small game and fun shooting, .454 for hogs, deer and other stuff I want to be sure of, .460 for trips back east or up north where larger critters are an option, or elk in close.
You will find that with the model 90 and 45 colt it is a single shot lever action. They have even started making a model 90A for the 454 round due to feeding problems.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Wasn't planning on buying one, but that's good to know. I'm guessing cartridge OAL was giving the gun issues.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If I had one in 460 S&W (I do have one in 500 S&W) I'd regard the 45 Colt and 454 Casull cartridges as 'contingency' options, but if I wanted 'light' loads, I'd just use 460 S&W brass and load 'em light. I must say the model 89 (500 S&W) is the best quality levergun I've ever seen. It has the fit and finish of a mid-20th-century Winchester, only using modern technology and materials. If I just had it, and my 32-20, that would cover all my levergun 'needs'.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

The Tom Horn Special.