FOOD - Plant some tomatoes?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

FOOD - Plant some tomatoes?

Post by brucew44guns »

You guys strike me as big eaters of good vittles, and I would wager many of you plant some garden every spring to enjoy some fresh food you raise yourself. What is your favorie plants you grow?, and is there a particluar tomato that you can't live without? My all time favorite tomato was called "Pearson", but I think they are about extinct now, don't see them anymore.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Cherokee Purple.

Not pretty, but real good.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I love a good vine ripe tomato. Nothing like tomatoes picked green.
Kurt
Levergunner

Post by Kurt »

Cherokee Purple +1.

And strawberries as well.
Kurt in Southwestern Oregon
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

I prefer Italian ROMA variety tomato.Pear shape like fruit with rich red flavor flesh with allot less seeds.I also grow Green bell peppers and Pimentos. :D
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

4th of july, beefstake, bushtomatoe. habenero and hot bannana peppers, white radishes and zuccini, more is grown, but these are the bare necessisties
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Lots of ROMA's for canning, and some 'grape' tomatos for eating, plus any of the 'beefsteak' ones for venison burgers with some onion and cheese... Yum!

Asparagus, Spaghetti squash, Blackberries (thornless hybrid plus our own wild ones), Reliance peaches, Liberty apples, Sugar Snap peas, and lots of other stuff.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I usually buy Romas in the store cause they're the cheapest. I'm growing some Better boys in my Earthbox right now. I hope I get some before it gets too hot down here.

Check out http://www.tomatogrowers.com/ to find your favorite variety of seeds.

The way I grow mine is: www.earthbox.com

Winter is a better time to grown stuff down here.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

Celebrity and Early Girl - of course, we were picking ripe ones two weeks ago because the season is so long here. I keep threatening to build a greenhouse so I can have 'maters all year long.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I LOVE good food but don't include tomatoes in that category. Make sphagetti sauce out of them, ok. Ditto for pizza. Otherwise, I'll pass.

Just wanted to post the counter-view, you know, to make this forum fair and balanced. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

Hobie,

I hear you - I'm not big on tomatoes unless they are home grown - but most of mine go into pico de gallo or other sauces. Onions, serrano peppers and tomatoes are staple foods around here.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Comal Forge wrote:Hobie,

I hear you - I'm not big on tomatoes unless they are home grown - but most of mine go into pico de gallo or other sauces. Onions, serrano peppers and tomatoes are staple foods around here.
Tomato sandwiches are a favorite for the wife (ex, too). Not for me! Just can't enjoy them.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

ship tomato

Post by brucew44guns »

Hobie, I know you're not a sick man, you just have an unusual set of taste buds. If I thought it would cure your problem, I would hand select the cream of the crop from my 43 planted tomato vines, wrap them carefully, and send them overnight express as soon as some could be picked, I wish I could help!!! But my dads brother would go hungry before he would eat a hamburger or eat some salad or anything else, if a tomato was visible. I understand, but still wish I had a cure for you.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think it's a genetic thing that surfaces every few generations. My son doesn't like tomatoes either. he'll eat pizza with sauce, Spagettii sauce or whatever else they're in. He'll even eat catsup, just nothing in it's raw state.
I'm just the opposite. cooked tomatoes tear me up. No sauce and I can't stand tomatoes in chili.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I can't stand nuts or peanut butter (or peanuts...) either. But, I'd bet that I've eaten and enjoy some things that would initiate a gag reflex in a lot of guys here.

As I said, the wife LOVES tomatoes of all kinds.
Sincerely,

Hobie

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I usually get the Romas for cooking, but there's one store that sells great Beefsteak tomatoes which are firm and flavorful, but not wet like a lot of those vine tomatoes. They're huge, too, a center slice will cover the bread.

I don't get over there (Gelson's) too often, but when I do, it's Beefsteak time.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My wife calls them "grape tomatoes", and we planted a bush last season. We had tomatoes all summer long, and they were great. We planted a couple of them just this weekend!!! :D
Ron Macy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ron Macy »

Brandywine tomatos which are an heirloom and the meatiest I ever ate, Little yellow pear tomatos right off the vine, habaneros and jalapenos (different flavor), blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries and some bush beans this year. Hopefully added to next year.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

Comal Forge, I am very familiar with the serrano's. Your dish sounds very interisting!!! Also, nothing like a fresh, just picked, warm tomato, on bread with salt and mayo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
MissKitty
Levergunner
Location: The mountains of Arkansas...but once a southeast Texas girl...

Post by MissKitty »

:roll: I love the beefsteak tomatoes...they are great to can also....Oh my I love yellow crooked neck squash...fried in bacon drippings with diced onion-salt and pepper and cooked slow in a cast iron skillet with a lid...uncover and let the liquid cook out...eat with fresh sliced 'maters....yummmmmmmmmm-MissKitty
I would rather beg forgiveness than ask permission...
pullnshoot25
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pullnshoot25 »

I planted 16 San Marzano (roma) tomatoes and 6 Healthkick (romas with extra lycopene... girlfriend's idea) in my garden, along with Hllbilly Potato Leaf and Black Krim tomatoes, corn, spaghetti squash, basil, pie pumpkins, etc.

Picture here

rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

We generally plant our tomatoes on Good Friday, however we waited another two weeks this year. We plant Big Boys and Better Boys and a couple of TommyToes. Normally there are some ripe by the last week of June. There is nothing finer than a thick slice of tomato, some mayonaise, salt, black pepper and some really fresh white bread!
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

MissKitty wrote::roll: I love the beefsteak tomatoes...they are great to can also....Oh my I love yellow crooked neck squash...fried in bacon drippings with diced onion-salt and pepper and cooked slow in a cast iron skillet with a lid...uncover and let the liquid cook out...eat with fresh sliced 'maters....yummmmmmmmmm-MissKitty
Miss Kitty, you just have a way about wordin' things, that makes a man get ravenous even when he just ate a little while ago!!! Mercy sakes, I'd sure like to go to a pot luck where you brought something.!!
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
MissKitty
Levergunner
Location: The mountains of Arkansas...but once a southeast Texas girl...

Post by MissKitty »

:wink: I love to cook and even more love to see someone enjoy a eating.....If ever there is a levergun meeting close enough for me and Dwight to get there I will cook us up something to eat for sure....Eating and looking at all the guns and maybe even a shooting some of them is more than a gal can imagine.....MissKitty
I would rather beg forgiveness than ask permission...
mod 7 fan
Levergunner

Post by mod 7 fan »

tycer where can i get that cherokee purple im in hickory nc but travel through your aeria to murphy