One tough 870 Shotgun...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

One tough 870 Shotgun...

Post by AJMD429 »

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: One tough 870 Shotgun...

Post by Blaine »

Would a 20ga shell cycle in a pump? :? A breech loading weapon is much more likely and I doubt they, or the shooter would fare very well... :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:Would a 20ga shell cycle in a pump? :? A breech loading weapon is much more likely and I doubt they, or the shooter would fare very well... :P
Good point. I'm betting it would pop right open and spew stuff into your right cheek and eyeball...
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Come on... give us a hint.
Slow is just slow.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Short version for those of you not wanting to burn the bandwidth...

Guy takes an 870 with vent rib barrel, drops a _20_gauge round down the tube, then chambers a 12 g. buck magnum round.

Safe retreat to cover, pull the trigger with paracord.

Round fires and amazingly nothing dramatic happens.

The 20 gauge round goes merrily downrange, shotgun recoils enthusiatically (glad I wasn't holding it!), and the recoil is energetic enough that the bolt unlocks to fling the empty hull about 10 feet away.

Guy is a gunsmith, completely strips it down to pins and empty receiver and finds no real damage.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Funny that this comes up in the same day we have the slap-firing fellow do almost the same thing with his slap-fire contraption -- and the 20 gauge shell he used as a projectile made quite a solid "ding" on the metal gong.

I wish I had a 20 gauge shell to try in my 870 to see if it feeds OK. I'm guessing it would if it was, say, the last shell loaded in the magazine so its smaller rim skipping over the cartridge block wouldn't be an issue. Or for sure if you loaded your trusty pump magazine with the normal 12 gauge shells and then slipped the 20 gauge directly into the chamber so as to be fully charged up. Like Murphy says -- "if something can go wrong, it will go wrong, at the worst possible time".
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One reason I'm glad I only own 12 gauge and 410 bore shotguns...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:oops: There were several of us shooting everybody's rifles, so I don't know who did it, but a .444 will fire in a 45-70, hit the target, and you have a nice fire formed 45-70 brass (well not really...I'm surprised this didn't go south in some way)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote::oops: There were several of us shooting everybody's rifles, so I don't know who did it, but a .444 will fire in a 45-70, hit the target, and you have a nice fire formed 45-70 brass (well not really...I'm surprised this didn't go south in some way)
I did that - wondered why my Guide Gun just wouldn't feed that second round. Jiggled and messed with it and chambered the second 444 Marlin round, and it also hit the target. THEN I saw the brass.... :shock: :oops:

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Testament on how just really well built and durable an 870 is. Owned one since 1972. Shoot it a lot. Hunted with it ALOT. Still like new except for the finish. No springs or plastic magazine followers have ever failed. Put an 18"barreled rifle sighted on it and a mag extension and it will serve you well for self defense , bird hunting and killing the biggest game on earth. Limiting factor is range, but some can hit at 200 yards accurately with slugs,{not me} Thanks for the TUBE post.